Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

• 1 month later...

55 minutes ago, Urban_Legend said:

Belmont Announces Indoor Practice Facility

https://www.belmontbruins.com/general/2019-20/releases/20200121phdkqi

Another project announced for the south part of campus on Compton Avenue! This will share a lobby with the new parking garage/tennis facility.

Isn't the term "indoor practice facility" meant to differentiate an outdoor football field from an "indoor" facility that normally houses a field?  All basketball facilities are "indoors"...so it confuses me a bit when a school builds a new gym (instead of a football "indoor" facility) and calls it an "indoor practice facility".

• Like 2

21 hours ago, titanhog said:

Isn't the term "indoor practice facility" meant to differentiate an outdoor football field from an "indoor" facility that normally houses a field?  All basketball facilities are "indoors"...so it confuses me a bit when a school builds a new gym (instead of a football "indoor" facility) and calls it an "indoor practice facility".

Can be baseball/tennis/track...not only football...but I understand your point as Bemont appears to be using exclusively for indoor sports.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tragenvol said:

Can be baseball/tennis/track...not only football...but I understand your point as Bemont appears to be using exclusively for indoor sports.

Yeah...I think it's more of a "recruiting tool" than anything.  "Hey...look...we have a new indoor practice facility just like all the big schools have."  Guess it sounds better than "we have a new gym to practice in."

• Like 1

Belmont Univ. Performing Arts Center (1,700 seats) update.  Up to 2nd level above grade on west side.

Looking SW from Bernard Ave., 1/2 block east of Belmont Blvd:

Belmont Univ, Perf Arts Center, Jan 12, 2020, 1.jpg

Looking west from Bernard Ave., 1/2 block east of Belmont Blvd:

Belmont Univ, Perf Arts Center, Jan 12, 2020, 2.jpg

Looking east from intersection of Belmont Blvd. and Compton Ave:

Belmont Univ, Perf Arts Center, Jan 12, 2020, 3.jpg

Looking east from intersection of Belmont Blvd. and Bernard Ave: 

Belmont Univ, Perf Arts Center, Jan 12, 2020, 4.jpg

Looking south from intersection of Belmont Blvd. and Bernard Ave:

Belmont Univ, Perf Arts Center, Jan 12, 2020, 5.jpg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Breaking news (behind Tennessean paywall) that Watkins College will merge with Belmont University and sell their Metrocenter campus.

Since Watkins has seen declining enrollment in recent years, they have decided to merge with Belmont rather than face closure. The 13 acre campus at MetroCenter will be sold off.

Incoming Watkins freshmen and the about 200 students enrolled in the school will be allowed to transfer to Belmont, President Bob Fisher of Belmont  said. The students will be allowed to enroll at Watkins' tuition rate.

Here's a link to the story:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/education/2020/01/28/nashvilles-belmont-university-and-watkins-college-merge/4567213002/

• Like 3

Here's a link to the Belmont press release (no paywall blockage!) as well:

https://news.belmont.edu/belmont-announces-plans-to-merge-with-watkins-college-of-art-effective-fall-2020/

As the O'More (Fashion, Interior Design, Architecture) and Watkins (Art) colleges grow, Belmont will probably need to build new facilities. Currently, O'More occupies 2 floors of a 1970s classroom building and the Art department is in a (1990s?) 2-story building. Both on the older, west side of campus. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

A friend whose daughter was in town for a Preview weekend at Belmont told me that this building will be the largest performing arts center building on a college campus in the U.S.

Perhaps largest in total square footage of the building, but certainly not in seating capacity. One I can cite off the top of my head that is much larger is Gammage Auditorium at ASU, with a capacity of 3,017. This Frank Lloyd Wright designed building hosts the Broadway tour series for the Phoenix area, as well as many university events. 

Regardless of whether it’s largest or not, I am so happy to see Belmont add this great new performance space for the university and for the community. Great addition to our city!

Grady Gammage Memorial Auditorium at Arizona State University

4F42AA1C-CA0E-46C1-8C33-F79E2A4B49FB.jpeg

B1A5BDBE-220F-4CD7-93B6-4A80B381B10D.jpeg

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, dxfret said:

The architecture across the entire Lipscomb University campus is bland, uninspired and boring.  Worse than a state community college. 

It appears to have had a growth spurt in the 1960s, but those are legacy buildings. What I don't like is that in the last 40 years, there's been little effort to make the style of their new buildings blend with the residential area surrounding it. Now they're building a parking garage that looks like... um, a parking deck. 

Don't want to beat up on poor Lipscomb, but couldn't they dress up their buildings' windows somewhat like crests on the very plain panels beneath them, or even windows that don't look like cheap aluminum framed storm windows from a suburban Texas ranch house?  On the bright side, I must say their green spaces have really improved over the past 20 years and look really pretty in the warm months. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FrankNash said:

Let's be real here about why Lipscomb's architecture is bland and boring.  Being a Church of Christ based school could have something to do with the blandness. They don't even use musical instruments at church.  

I hardly mean to be rude to them by agreeing with you, but that could be true. I wonder if there is a correlation between their... sometimes disproportionately focused conservatism and the architecture? Again, I do not intend to offend, but that genuinely piques my interest... that said, I'm probably reading too much into it. No large city doesn't have its fair share of... unappealing styling, so I guess someone had to do it. 

Edited by PianoKing03

15 hours ago, FrankNash said:

Let's be real here about why Lipscomb's architecture is bland and boring.  Being a Church of Christ based school could have something to do with the blandness. They don't even use musical instruments at church.  

I'm sure it has a lot to do with it.  They're going to build buildings that serve a purpose at the lowest cost that will get the job done.  I'm sure they're not worried about being "architecturally significant"...but rather practical.  Makes for boring architecture...but I guess it works for them.

Edited by titanhog