Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

From WW at NP online today, Vandy looks like they're wanting to polish the turd that is the Owen Graduate School of Management... https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/education/vanderbilt-university/article/21120025/vanderbilt-business-building-could-see-upgrade

“We’re not able to share any additional information on the Owen renovation at this time due to still having a lot of moving pieces and fluid plans that could change.”

Vandy of late has been issuing comically vague strategic plans and public statements. Instead, they should be glad that anyone (outside their community) still cares. 

Owen_art.5e60137054d40.jpg

• Like 2

Watkins is benefiting greatly from the Belmont name. From what I have heard there are accreditation concerns with the program at Watkins and Belmont could very quickly help resolve those. Capital is obviously very important, but having an accreditation is a necessity. Without it, a degree from that school is useless in the (at least in the design field).

43 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Watkins is benefiting greatly from the Belmont name. From what I have heard there are accreditation concerns with the program at Watkins and Belmont could very quickly help resolve those. Capital is obviously very important, but having an accreditation is a necessity. Without it, a degree from that school is useless in the (at least in the design field).

There are no accreditation concerns at Watkins, Watkins and Belmont are both accredited through SACS and Watkins is in good standing. Belmont is actually benefiting from Watkin's MFA in Visual Arts program. The problem with Watkins is low enrollment and lack of an endowment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Edgefield D said:

There are no accreditation concerns at Watkins, Watkins and Belmont are both accredited through SACS and Watkins is in good standing. Belmont is actually benefiting from Watkin's MFA in Visual Arts program. The problem with Watkins is low enrollment and lack of an endowment. 

Their Interior Design program is not a accredited by Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) and therefore graduates cannot obtain their license here in TN. I don't know enough about the visual arts side of it, but I was speaking to the design side of it.

• Like 1

I hope the merger works well for both institutions. Watkins (the school) and its graduates have shown a lot of creativity in art, fashion, and design. I don't know a lot of folks in media and advertising, but the one marketing firm I'm familiar with has several Watkins graduates in their graphics department. I'd guess they're not the only one in Nashville. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

Their Interior Design program is not a accredited by Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) and therefore graduates cannot obtain their license here in TN. I don't know enough about the visual arts side of it, but I was speaking to the design side of it.

Correct....that one is not. But there are probably less than 10 IND students at Watkins. Graphic Design, Illustration, Fine Art, Film, Photo, MFA...those are all through SACS and NASAD and are all in good standing. Watkins GRD program usually produces more ADDY awards than most other schools it competes with. So....Belmont is not completely coming up short. 

I just wanted to point out that this doesn't have anything to do with accreditation problems. CIDA wasn't renewed because it's another expense and not enough students to justify it. It costs the same and requires the same amount of work for Watkins to play in the same higher ed field as Vandy, Belmont, state schools...etc when it comes to accreditation. Calculate in low enrollment and you have a problem. Small private schools (art or not) are really struggling across the country.

• Like 2

Thank you, folks, for the great pics and updates during this very slow (and here in Chatty, gloomy) time. 

Looking at the Vandy cam, I think it appears the next area for the college dorms is being cleared. That would be the corner of West End and 24th... so that portion of the complex should be underway soon enough. http://webcams.vanderbilt.edu/carmichael/

• Like 3

On 3/25/2020 at 6:55 AM, markhollin said:

Tennessee State University Alumni Welcome Center rendering:

TSU Alumni Welcome Center, March 1, 2020, render.jpg

This is the back side of the building.

renderback.jpg

Given where this proposed to be built on the TSU campus at the corner of 33rd Ave North and John Merritt Blvd., I'm curious as to how it will address the street.  It's currently a parking lot with a small corner plaza that has a column with an image of Big John Merritt.

image.thumb.png.56d0fffc63b1a00eee3916feaa73ba8a.png

image.png

Edited by PillowTalk4
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

This is the back side of the building.

renderback.jpg

Given where this proposed to be built on the TSU campus at the corner of 33rd Ave North and John Merritt Blvd., I'm curious as to how it will address the street.  It's currently a parking lot with a small corner plaza that has a column with an image of Big John Merritt.

image.thumb.png.56d0fffc63b1a00eee3916feaa73ba8a.png

Looking at the design of the Alumni Center, I have a few questions:

1. Is the building all or mostly glass? Will there be shading to address sunlight concerns?
  2. Is that a rooftop deck on the structure?
  3. Are there going to be any interior renderings in addition to the exterior?
  4. How will they address the displacement of the visitor parking spaces? Will there be a parking deck or a new surface lot constructed?
Edited by James Owen

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I would only disagree with this to say not sure how hidden Belmont is  as to me it is pretty known.

https://news.belmont.edu/belmont-ranked-no-1-hidden-gem-music-school/

Belmont has long been a prominent institution for its music business program, but is quickly gaining a reputation for its performance degree tracks. I personally know of a young woman who chose Belmont for the musical theatre program, and her parents own a company that produces tours of Broadway musicals! Some very talented young people training over at Belmont in all areas of the Music Department.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My niece goes to Belmont and in my opinion has a national reputation in music that is why I thought it was odd to say it was a hidden gem.  Her friends come from all over and many from California and major in something related to music.  I think it has  a national reputation now. 

• Like 1

Belmont University South Garage & Tennis Center (3 stories, 830 spaces) update. Up to 2nd level above grade on west side.

Looking NE from Delmar Ave., 1/2 block east of Belmont Blvd:

Belmont Univ, South Garage, March 27, 2020, 1.jpg

Looking SE from Compton Ave., 1/2 block east of Belmont Blvd:

Belmont Univ, South Garage, March 27, 2020, 2.jpg

Looking south from Compton Ave., 3/4 block east of Belmont Blvd:

Belmont Univ, South Garage, March 27, 2020, 3.jpg

Looking west from Compton Ave., 3/4 block east of Belmont Blvd:

Belmont Univ, South Garage, March 27, 2020, 4.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, Jaheda said:

Nice building. Very similar to the campus where I study. I am currently attending university, a sophomore, and I need some help writing the research papers that I need to submit at the end of this academic year. I have a little left, but still the process is very difficult. I have heard good reviews about the service https://edubirdie.com/research-papers-writing-services. What do you say? Who worked with them? Can someone help me? If you can, please contact me via email.

I have not heard anything about them, I think it’s better to do your homework and laboratory yourself, and not to pat for them

• Like 1