Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

Going to have to have all of the local universities partner with Oracle and Amazon to fill those jobs and future tech jobs. Is it me or do I here crickets coming from all of the local colleges and universities as far as there high tech programs go.

It just seems they have been caught off guard or clueless as to what they need to do. Again, maybe its just me????

• Like 1

I agree with your thought about universities. I’ve concluded that most TN universities are just beginning to approach their coming out age/maturity. Most offerings have been necessity-driven basics and, let’s be honest, if they’re public universities they’ve been hampered by politicians and having to play second fiddle to UTK and it’s football fantasies.  A few years ago when the TN Board of Regents shifted focus to community colleges and technical schools, it gave the TBR universities the autonomy they needed to brand themselves. I really think this will take time and demand. Local business will dictate the programs that get added.

Right now I’m seeing a flurry of hospitality programs in the local area which is good but the timing is bad. About a decade ago there was a smaller flurry of  pharmacy schools, or at least talks,  in the local area. 

• Like 3

Some more info about the sale of the former Watkins School of Design campus in Metrocenter by Belmont to Chartwell Residential.  Cooper Cary is the architect.  No word on how tall this will go, but it's likely to be no more than 7 stories based on zoning and other buildings in MC.   https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/05/19/800-units-planned-for-former-watkins-campus.html

A Nashville developer is planning to turn a former college campus into 800 apartment units. In an interview, Chartwell Residential partner Ben Schaedle said a two-phase multifamily project is in the works for the property that used to house Watkins College of Art. Phase one, which would develop land anchored at Great Circle Road, should break ground later this year. No construction loan had been filed as of today.

• Like 1

Looking at this a little closer and the demo permits that have been pulled this week, I think they will close 14th Ave and the footprint will cross that street. I am unsure if they will be able to take the houses down on 15th as there are a couple of holdouts there that have not sold to Belmont.

There is also a mass grading permit for the college as well on the other side of 14th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/25/2021 at 8:35 AM, markhollin said:

TSU is taking a serious look at adding a varsity ice hockey program.

In partnership with the NHL, the Nashville Predators and College Hockey Inc., a feasibility study is being conducted to explore the possibility that would make TSU the first HBCU with varsity men’s and women’s ice hockey teams, and also make the university the first institution to establish a program in Tennessee. Results from the feasibility study are expected late fall.

Will be interesting to see if they look at building their own ice facility in conjunction with the Predators.  It would be challenging to have consistent practices and host games at one of the existing Ford Ice Centers and/or Bridgestone Arena because the amount of time that would need to be committed in those locations for a full-time collegiate program. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/05/24/tennessee-state-feasibility-study-hockey-program.html

This topic of course is creating much debate among TSU alumni, students and supporters.  But, I'm very much open to the possibility and will wait to see what the feasibility study comes back with.  One thing is for certain, if it is determined to be feasible, the teams will require full sponsorship commitment.  I just don't see how TSU would be able to support hockey without full long term sponsorship. 

From a facility point of view there has obviously been much debate on where TSU would play.  It has been tossed around that TSU's Gentry Center could potentially be configured for hockey.  The premise is that if all the seats on the lower level of the arena are pushed in (as they can be), that would create enough room for a hockey rink.  Length wise I think that might be true.  I'm not certain width wise.    If Gentry is an option I think they would also have some logistical issues since basketball and hockey seasons would overlap.  Even if the right equipment is in place to create the ice rink and maintain it for a season (as is done with other venues around the country), there would still be a need to convert the arena from b'ball to hockey and the reverse quite often.  From what I've read, that conversion process can take anywhere from 90 minutes to a full day depending on the manpower available.  According to one site, I read that dozens of people would be required to convert an arena in 90 minutes.  There have been instances in which an arena hosted both a basketball game and hockey in the same day.  The Staple Center and TD Garden have done it plenty of times.  I still just don't think Gentry is going to be an option.

But first things first... lets see what the feasibility study comes back with.

• Like 4

I would assume that they'll play at Centennial Sportsplex on West End, or possibly Municipal Auditorium, at least temporarily.  I'm no engineer but I think it'd be incredibly difficult and expensive to convert Gentry to a hockey facility.  It is my understanding that facilities that host both hockey and basketball are originally built with the proper equipment for to form and maintain an ice rink. Gentry may have to close for a year or so to upgrade it to be able to host hockey games. Then, it'll be entirely too large for the crowd size.  If Gentry is converted, I believe they can just put a court on top of the ice during basketball games. I heard that's what they do at Bridgestone during the SEC Tournament.

The NHL/Predators are paying are paying for the feasibility study so it's no harm/no foul for the university if it ends up not working out for the Tigers. But I think upgrading the football stadium should be their first priority. They may have good crowds at Nissan this year due to Eddie George but it's proven that college teams playing in NFL Stadiums is not ideal. TSU has the alumni base and following that deserves to play in one of the better on campus facilities in the FCS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 21jump said:

I would assume that they'll play at Centennial Sportsplex on West End, or possibly Municipal Auditorium, at least temporarily. 

The rink at Municipal Auditorium is not in good working order (hasn't been used in several decades), and is only 185 feet long (200 feet is regulation). So, I doubt that would be an option.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, 21jump said:

I would assume that they'll play at Centennial Sportsplex on West End, or possibly Municipal Auditorium, at least temporarily.  I'm no engineer but I think it'd be incredibly difficult and expensive to convert Gentry to a hockey facility.  It is my understanding that facilities that host both hockey and basketball are originally built with the proper equipment for to form and maintain an ice rink. Gentry may have to close for a year or so to upgrade it to be able to host hockey games. Then, it'll be entirely too large for the crowd size.  If Gentry is converted, I believe they can just put a court on top of the ice during basketball games. I heard that's what they do at Bridgestone during the SEC Tournament.

The NHL/Predators are paying are paying for the feasibility study so it's no harm/no foul for the university if it ends up not working out for the Tigers. But I think upgrading the football stadium should be their first priority. They may have good crowds at Nissan this year due to Eddie George but it's proven that college teams playing in NFL Stadiums is not ideal. TSU has the alumni base and following that deserves to play in one of the better on campus facilities in the FCS.

Both the Centennial Sportsplex and Municipal were mentioned in the discussions as well.  And, I agree that a new on-campus stadium for football should be a higher priority for TSU athletics.  However, until either a full overhaul of the existing stadium can be done or a new stadium built,  TSU has decided to play all home games at Nissan.  I'm hoping that TSU will launch a campaign to build a new stadium in the next year or two.  The new AD is really thinking out of the box and making quite a few immediate and short-term (2-5 year) initiatives.  In a relatively short period he has sparked a lot of new interest in the athletics program.  Hopefully that will continue.  It would be great for TSU.  It would be great for the Nashville as well.

Expect to hear about upgrades to Gentry and the Ed Temple Track Facility in the coming months.  A new basketball floor is already underway.  A design contest was held and an announcement that the old floor is already being removed indicates that a new design has been decided upon.  There are other interior projects scheduled for Gentry.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Expect to hear about upgrades to Gentry and the Ed Temple Track Facility in the coming months.  A new basketball floor is already underway.  A design contest was held and an announcement that the old floor is already being removed indicates that a new design has been decided upon.  There are other interior projects scheduled for Gentry.

I'm looking forward to seeing the future upgrades at Gentry. Hopefully they'll be able to land more concerts and events there after any renovations.

• Like 3