Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

On 2/17/2023 at 11:04 AM, natethegreat said:

Right now is the first I’ve ever heard of Trevecca

The spelling or the university? Until they built the new Police HQ/Family Safety Center Trevecca was basically the only noteworthy thing on Lafayette/Murfreesboro from downtown to the airport. 

Or are you an alumni of Southern Nazarene University and are just throwing shade at a rival Nazarene college? (I had to look up other Nazarene colleges to make this lame joke). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 8:15 PM, markhollin said:

Belmont University is exploring a third student residential hall at 1407 Caldwell Ave., just to the west of the recently completed Caldwell Hall (11 stories, 600 beds).   Rumors are that it will be at least 11 stories as well.  ESa will likely be the architect again. No renderings or further details in this exploratory phase. 

More behind The Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/belmont-eyes-next-high-rise-residential-building/article_3da5f2fc-bd08-11ed-b863-6b07f033fa3a.html

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

957708401_ScreenShot2023-03-07at7_08_48PM.png

This is good. Slightly off topic.

Wish Metro was as lenient with developers building 11-story towers one block from a bus route in trendy neighborhoods as they are with Belmont.

12 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

What expansion project? Any details?

I was surprised to see this when I was there on business on Tuesday.  I asked one of the workers and all they knew was that they were expanding the Vince Gill wing (which is on the 2nd floor above the student union/cafe area at ground level).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, markhollin said:

I was surprised to see this when I was there on business on Tuesday.  I asked one of the workers and all they knew was that they were expanding the Vince Gill wing (which is on the 2nd floor above the student union/cafe area at ground level).

I know the third floor space is an event space used to serve the Bruin Club members meals during basketball season. It’s become small as that group has grown. 

• Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 12:12 PM, andywildman said:

Wish Metro was as lenient with developers building 11-story towers one block from a bus route in trendy neighborhoods as they are with Belmont.

It isn't so much that Metro is lenient with Belmont, but it really revolves around the District-Major Institutional community plan that allows for such differences in zoning. There is still guiding factors for the colleges within this transect, but it allows for educational growth.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Belmont University's Massey 3D Center (6 stories, 133,000 sq. ft., internal garage) update: brickwork nearly complete around the building.

Looking NW from intersection of 15th Ave. South and Caldwell Ave:

Belmont Univ, Massey 3D, April 9, 2023, 1.jpeg

Looking SW from intersection of 15th Ave. South and Caldwell Ave:

Belmont Univ, Massey 3D, April 9, 2023, 2.jpeg

Looking SE from the Campus Green:

Belmont Univ, Massey 3D, April 9, 2023, 3.jpeg

• Like 4

I know that Lipscomb gets knocked for its dull, uninspired architectural style, but after seeing my alma mater (VU) spend an astounding amount of money on a "Nouveau Hogwarts"; and the fact I couldn't afford to send any of my five there without massive scholarships, I very much appreciate Lipscomb's direction. They apparently understand that they're also in a suburban area and not in an urban setting. So their buildings sort of need to blend into the pretty surroundings. Some of these renderings actually look like a step up from their existing buildings. So I hope they get these underway. 

• Like 1