Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Looks like Belmont University is adding a 10 story  residence hall called Caldwell Hall #2 at corner of 15th and Acklen Ave.   Estimated cost is $137.5 M from the Biz Journal. 

Full coverage of the announcement on May 11th two posts above this one.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Meharry College Live & Learn Center (6 stories, 125 rooms, 2 classrooms, fitness center) update:  I believe parts of it are open.

Looking NW from Hermosa St., 1/4 block east of 21st Ave. North:

Meharry College, Live & Learn Center, June 17, 2023, 1.jpeg

Looking NE from intersection of Hermosa St. and 21st Ave. North:

Meharry College, Live & Learn Center, June 17, 2023, 2.jpeg

Looking NE from 21st Ave. North, 1/2 block north of Hermosa St:

Meharry College, Live & Learn Center, June 17, 2023, 3.jpeg

Looking SE from intersection of Morena St. and 21st Ave. North:

Meharry College, Live & Learn Center, June 17, 2023, 4.jpeg

Looking SW from Morena St., 1/4 block east of 21st Ave. North:

Meharry College, Live & Learn Center, June 17, 2023, 5.jpeg

• Like 4

Pondering the downtown TSU campus, I keep coming to the same conclusion: TSU (and TTU) should dedicate their downtown location to Information Technology and related disciplines. I think Vandy is not taking a great opportunity by doing something similar, especially with a focus on Mass Media & Communications. I hope the study will look into joint ventures with other state supported (Board of Regents) schools that could benefit from a Nashville location without cannibalizing the local (TSU/MTSU) pool of students. UTC here has a very effective media program. IDK if Belmont has a program like that, but that school is expensive. But I think the Williams facility appears to need major upgrades and possibly additional space for a new program like this. I think the state owns the property across Charlotte, and it may be developed to benefit TSU and the state capitol campus by bringing in a developer to build parking structure (for commuters) and student apartments such as those underway on Cumberland Avenue at the UTK campus. A bridge walkway over Charlotte to connect the buildings would also bring some cohesion to the various buildings I'm describing. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

This is when I call you folks out. This is a major event for Nashville. TSU will be the first HBCU in the nation with an ice hockey program. Do you folks not see the significance of this? It follows the tradition in the state behind UT as having the oldest ice hockey program in the SE. Also, the Nashville Dixie Flyers back in the day. Tennessee has a rich ice hockey history, and this announcement continues that with another first.

Sometimes you folks frustrate the hell out of me not realizing that this is just as important as other announcements that ae made in the city. High-rises are not everything! Three medical schools, three law schools! If it were not for Nashville colleges and universities, we may well not have a lot of the growth we have now.

Pillowtalk did mention it in his post of June 20th, and I thought it had been mentioned by someone else in the last few days (there have been posts about news related to the NHL Draft--where this was announced--on several different threads, so it was hard to remember what was posted where).  I do agree that it is a terrific and positive story.  Just because one person *yawned* at your post does not mean that we all feel that way.

Additionally,  I recall numerous times when you have been dismissive about pro and collegiate related sports stories that related to Nashville development because you are a self-proclaimed non-sports fan and didn't deem them important.    ; )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Pillowtalk did mention it in his post of June 20th, and I thought it had been mentioned by someone else in the last few days (there have been posts about news related to the NHL Draft--where this was announced--on several different threads, so it was hard to remember what was posted where).  I do agree that it is a terrific and positive story.  Just because one person *yawned* at your post does not mean that we all feel that way.

Additionally,  I recall numerous times when you have been dismissive about pro and collegiate related sports stories that related to Nashville development because you are a self-proclaimed non-sports fan and didn't deem them important.    ; )

This is more than a sports post but more of a university first for Nashville. You are correct when I say I am not a sports fan, but I do realize the significance of an announcement like this just like the Belmont school of medicine. Announcements of this type are what puts Nashville on the map. The post by Pillowtalk was not an official announcement by the university and was more of an unofficial rumor at that point. When it came to Vanderbilt's stadium, I was hoping for a lot more and still think they could have done more with the football stadium. It is also a major first for African American sports in the US. This is a major step into what has been a traditionally white sport for a predominantly black university.

Not only the Yawn, but the fact there was no discussion or no one else posted a major news item that made national sports news. You, being a hockey fan would normally be all over this but remained silent.

• Like 3