Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

On 12/18/2015 at 1:16 PM, CenterHill said:

Looks very...Lipscomb-ish.  

Definitely, they have mastered that look!!

On 12/14/2015 at 7:00 PM, rookzie said:

I just never thought anything about it or that anyone might have cared about it for it to be posted.  It's a great looking addition to the neighborhood just south of the Lipscomb's rather recently built School of Pharmacy and fronting Belmont Blvd at the beginning of the street that I live on. -==-

Is this new or a remodel?  Took many classes in McFarland for my two years there.  It could have used some rehab then, 15 years ago....!

On 2/27/2016 at 10:17 AM, timmay143 said:

Definitely, they have mastered that look!!

Is this new or a remodel?  Took many classes in McFarland for my two years there.  It could have used some rehab then, 15 years ago....!

Edited:
@timmay143, it was an expansion.  The make-over brought McFarland closer to Belmont, by removing that parking area between the pre-existing structure.  Now they seem to want to keep the purple floods shining all night up against the front columns (facing Beaman).

Pix from the Blvd. taken for you, during the last hour:-==-
Lipscomb_McFarland_expansion_02.thumb.JP

Lipscomb_McFarland_expansion_03.thumb.JP

Lipscomb_McFarland_expansion_01.thumb.JP

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

And Siena Hall at Aquinas is well underway, and targeted for a late summer completion.  Webcam:  http://www.aquinascollege.edu/siena-hall-progress-webcam/

This one follows the architectural style of the main administration building and sets the precedent for the campus expansion plan. 

Womens Residence Hall perspective rendering

As an alumni, and I have a sister that is a Dominican.  The sisters are very excited to get this underway. Residential halls are very much needed to grow the campus and it's reach far beyond Nashville as is was when I first attended 34 years ago.

3 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

^How come we can't get that level of class and beauty when it comes to designing apartment blocks in the city, instead of cookie-cutter modernist garbage ?

Unfortunately Davy, expense and a turnkey approach. This building will be used 100 years from now, whereas the apartments being built now out of stick frame are 25-50 year buildings at most and are built for fast profit at low expense. I am lucky the 5th and Main where I live is concrete and steel and will be around decades after I am gone, but Stacks on Main next door is just another stick frame building with a 20-25 year shelf life.

• 1 month later...

New Vanderbilt Residential College breaking ground...

New Residential College at Vanderbilt

"The design of Vanderbilt Barnard is focused on advancing the Academic Strategic Plan’s goals of enriching the undergraduate residential experience and educational opportunities,” said Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Susan Wente. “The new residential college will create new common spaces for students to learn from each other and from faculty members in ways that complement traditional classroom endeavors. This is an important part of our mission to educate the whole person in preparation for life-long learning.

The $115.5 million project is expected to open for occupancy beginning in the summer of 2018. Students will be able to apply for housing for the fall of 2018 during the housing selection process in the spring of 2018. Funding for the project will come largely from university reserves and philanthropy.

Barnard-Rendering.jpg

wow!    "The Barn" was a dumpster of a residence hall when I was there many moons ago.    Being right on West End and directly next door to the imposing new Kissam College, this will be another nice addition to Vanderbilt's architecture.        

But...if only it were replacing those Cold War era Soviet-inspired Carmichael Towers.     Someday.  

• Like 3

That is gorgeous indeed...though this will probably be behind a fence just like Kissam is, instead of butting right up to West End Ave.  I wish Vanderbilt would open itself up to the surrounding community a little more in terms of planning, but that's another conversation.  They are definitely putting up some impressive architecture as of late.

Same here.  I was in the adjoining Vanderbilt Hall, back in 1973.  Such a bad dump.  You must remember those community-shower mixing valves ─ the unbalanced type ─ such that the understood code of faith was for anyone flushing a commode to yell "flush" prior, so anyone in the shower room wouldn't get momentarily scalded to death by the drop in cold-water supply.  No fun.

40 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

New Vanderbilt Residential College breaking ground...

New Residential College at Vanderbilt

"The design of Vanderbilt Barnard is focused on advancing the Academic Strategic Plan’s goals of enriching the undergraduate residential experience and educational opportunities,” said Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Susan Wente. “The new residential college will create new common spaces for students to learn from each other and from faculty members in ways that complement traditional classroom endeavors. This is an important part of our mission to educate the whole person in preparation for life-long learning.

The $115.5 million project is expected to open for occupancy beginning in the summer of 2018. Students will be able to apply for housing for the fall of 2018 during the housing selection process in the spring of 2018. Funding for the project will come largely from university reserves and philanthropy.

Barnard-Rendering.jpg

11 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

wow!    "The Barn" was a dumpster of a residence hall when I was there many moons ago.    Being right on West End and directly next door to the imposing new Kissam College, this will be another nice addition to Vanderbilt's architecture.        

But...if only it were replacing those Cold War era Soviet-inspired Carmichael Towers.     Someday.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rookzie said:

Same here.  I was in the adjoining Vanderbilt Hall, back in 1973.  Such a bad dump.  You must remember those community-shower mixing valves ─ the unbalanced type ─ such that the understood code of faith was for anyone flushing a commode to yell "flush" prior, so anyone in the shower room wouldn't get momentarily scalded to death by the drop in cold-water supply.  No fun.

Ha.  Yes, and the old furnace could barely warm it in the winter, but the heat worked great all summer!   

As for the fence, I expect it will remain.   I love the magnolias, but I'm not sure what functional purpose the fence serves since it exists only at the corner of West End/21st and the entire rest of the campus is open.     My theory is it gives prospective parents a sense of security for Johnny as they pull in the main entrance going to the admissions office.       

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I might as well get used to the fact my head is spinning like Linda Blair because of all the projects that keep on climbing out of the woodwork.

this will be another nice addition.

..And sometimes it does seem to turn all the way around, too, and the eyes light up. (hehehe!...):D
      (that one I just couldn't pass up, Ron)

Edited by rookzie

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I might as well get used to the fact my head is spinning like Linda Blair because of all the projects that keep on climbing out of the woodwork.

this will be another nice addition.

If you're spewing out green pea soup, then you are officially possessed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More contraction at David Lipscomb University.  The Raymond Jones School of Engineering Building:

Looking east from Belmont Blvd:

Lipscomb 1, June, 2016.jpg

Looking NE from inside of campus:

Lipscomb 2, June, 2016.png

Rendering of finished structure:

Lipscomb 3, June 2016.jpg

Lispsomb just tore down 4 houses along the east side of Belmont Blvd on the NW side of campus.  This may be the location of the new dormitory listed in the post above. 

Lipscomb 4, June, 2016.jpg

When I was in undergrad at LU, Dr. Lowry mentioned on more than one occasion that he envisions the campus stretching all the way to Grandview Ave. It will be interesting to see if they ever try to cross over Belmont Blvd. Apparently there is an unspoken rule that they won't but they already utilize the abandoned (as far as I know) Stokes Elementary for parking.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Tennessee State University has plans for massive 84-acre expansion along the Cumberland River.  The project's vision includes a hotel and conference center, a residential community and business incubation facility, business partnership complex, a library, community resource center, restaurants, retail, along with innovation and research centers on the northwest side of campus. 

TSU President Glenda Glover hinted that it would be a 5-8 year project.  I don't think they have much of the funding organizes yet, and it will most likely take much longer than she predicts.  A good idea, however, for a massive tract that has been sitting empty for a long time. It could continue signs of life for renewal on the northwest side. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/09/05/tennessee-state-university-plans-massive-development-project/89542200/

The primary area under consideration is the huge green set of fields in the upper center part of this shot:

TSU expansion 1, Sept.jpg

TSU expansion 2, SEpt. 2016.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...