Nashville College & University Expansion

smeagolsfree

Belmont University's Bruin Hills Dorm (12 stories, 600 units) update. Up to the 8th floor now. 

Looking east from steps of Dickens Halls off of Bernard Circle:

Bruin Hills Dorm 1, Aug 20, 2017.jpg

Looking NE from steps of Dickens Halls off of Bernard Circle:

Bruin Hills Dorm 2, Aug 20, 2017.jpg

Looking west from intersection of 12th Ave. South and South Douglas Ave:

Bruin Hills Dorm 3, Aug 20, 2017.jpg

• Like 4

Belmont has paid $6.5 million for four lots totaling 0.45 acres near the university's campus, including where the Myint family's International Market & Restaurant will continue to operate.

Officials said the deal allows Belmont to start planning for expansion to accommodate growth in the university's student body, which is now a record 8,080. "While we don’t have any immediate plans for that area, I’m excited to see how we can use that corner of the campus in the coming years to serve our students," said Bob Fisher, its president.

International Market & Restaurant has been a longtime fixture in the Belmont campus area. In addition to 2010 Belmont Blvd., the university's purchase from Win and Prapasri (Patti) Myint included the location of a triplex at 2012 Belmont Blvd., a quadplex at 2016 Belmont Blvd. and a single-family home at 1531 Bernard Ave. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/08/25/belmont-buys-international-market-restaurant-site/601523001/

I have eaten here at least a hundred times since the late 80s....

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 3.03.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 3.04.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 3.04.28 PM.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AUNash said:

Expansion of Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. Really kind of amazing that they can do this on top of an operating hospital.

I was at the children's hospital a few weeks ago for a few days and you couldn't even tell they were building up there. They had notices in all the rooms about it though, warning about occasional corridor closings and more cars in the parking garages. I just find it amazing that they can simply add stories onto such a large building. The engineering must be beyond difficult. 

• Like 1

TSU Dorm Project Update:

According to an announcement by TSU, the State Building Commission has approved the building of two new dorms on the campus of TSU.  The State Board of Regents gave a presentation on the project to the SBC on Thursday, 9/14.  TSU is allocating $75.3M to the project.  The next step is the design phase followed by contractor bidding.  All of which is expected to be completed by December 2018.  The project is schedule to start construction in mid 2019 with a completion time for the start of the 2020 academic school year.  TSU did not announce where on the campus the dorms will be built.  Some are speculating they will be either on Ed Temple Blvd between John Merritt and Schrader Lane or on the hills located on the southwest corner of the campus.

Plans to building a new engineering building are still be worked on.   Plans for a new health sciences building are advancing and is estimated to cost $40M.

It's good to hear that TSU will be building new dorms as this ties in with the current increase in enrollment and a multi year plan to continue increasing enrollment.  I'm sure it is annoying however, that the process takes so long because of all the approvals that have to take place first by the SBR then the SBC, etc.  Plus the State has to approve the bidding process and the selected contractor.   Now I understand why it can also take so long for TSU to buy up property in the area.  TSU has been attempting to buy property as it becomes available between Hadley Park and 33rd Ave N.  They've lost out on some offers because of the amount of time it takes to get State approval.   

• Like 2

From today's Nashville Post:

Trevecca Nazarene University has announced a record-breaking enrollment of 3,500 students. The mark was fueled by the largest  freshman class in university history, according to a release.

The enrollment number (Trevecca is a 116-year-old institution) reflects more than a 50 percent growth spanning the past 10 years. University officials attribute the growth to Nashville’s sustained popularity as well as an intentional plan to expand online offerings. 

The University welcomed 1,427 traditional undergraduate students to campus this month, reflecting a 30 percent increase from the 2014 figure. That year, the university broke a 113-year enrollment record with a traditional undergraduate enrollment of 1,115.

• Like 1

Belmont University's Bruin Hills Dorm (11 stories, 600 units) update.  Up to the  10th floor now.

Looking east at intersection of Bernard Circle and 15th Ave. South:

Bruin Hills Dorm 1, Oct 1, 2017.jpg

Looking NE from steps of Dickens Hall along Bernard Circle:

Bruin Hills Dorm 2, Oct 1, 2017.jpg

Looking west from intersection of Bate Ave. and 12th Ave. South:

Bruin Hills Dorm, Sept 17, 2017.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Belmont University's Bruin Hills Dorm (11 stories, 600 units) update.  Topped-out.

Looking NE from steps of Dickens Hall along Bernard Circle:

Bruin Hills Dorm, Belmont Univ, Oct 21, 2017 2.jpg

Nicknamed "Tall Hall".      It will have amazing views of the city from up on that hill.    All for the price of room and board.     

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^ Mad props to Vandy for this. This is what one of the best universities in the world should look like. I know some of y’all like the Carmichael Towers and I respect everyone’s opinion on architecture but to me they look like worker housing for a Stalin era tin can factory or something. This is much more proper. 

• Like 3