Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

Do we know what the Gold Line station will look like here? Hope it’s one of the nicer stops to compliment the rest of the multimodal hub. Though, I honestly don’t expect the gold line at Gateway Station to generate much traffic (even though the urban planner nerd in me likes you can connect to Amtrak, greyhound)

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

I should know this, but what happens to the bus station when this is built ? Razed and opened up for development ?

Actually, the official line for the moment is that the current CTC is to remain as is. That the CGS is only to handle intercity (greyhound) and some connecting CATS routes.

But, the decommissioning of CTC has been discussed for more then a decade now I think they want to get CGS going before getting back to CTC.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Actually, the official line for the moment is that the current CTC is to remain as is. That the CGS is only to handle intercity (greyhound) and some connecting CATS routes.

But, the decommissioning of CTC has been discussed for more then a decade now I think they want to get CGS going before getting back to CTC.

Gotcha, thanks!

A BizJournals article from yesterday has this (last paragraph of the article):

The existing transit center on Trade Street will remain, Lewis said, adding that bus connections will continue there because of its proximity to the Blue Line but that operations will "look very different in the future."

I see it as a first sign of the CTC block being re-purposed - most likely a much smaller (think 4-6 bus spots along Brevard) footprint, with the existing CTC razed and sold to be developed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/01/09/much-anticipated-gateway-station-project-could.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stiluvclt said:

Can anyone with access to a photo-drone get a new aerial pic of the  progress of the new NCDOT Locomotive & Railcar Maintenance Facility being built on the former CP&F property? It seems to be pertinent to the CGS timeline.

A drone is overkill for the site, you can see all of it from Palmer st. Some yard tracks are already down and they are finishing up drainage work near the yard entrance. It looks like the remaining tracks will be down in the next two weeks. There is no reason why the switch cut-in and signaling can’t be completed by the end of February — the scheduled completion date for the project. The crew facility is already complete.

Edited by kermit

19 hours ago, stiluvclt said:

Can anyone with access to a photo-drone get a new aerial pic of the  progress of the new NCDOT Locomotive & Railcar Maintenance Facility being built on the former CP&F property? It seems to be pertinent to the CGS timeline.

I'm going to try to get some drone shots this week, I drive past the site everyday on my way home from work.

2 hours ago, stiluvclt said:

I can't see Palmer Street from Fl. unless I check yr old google map pics. Am I the only person outside of Charlotte that reads this blog?

Sorry, I meant that a ground level photo gives a pretty good overview of the site. I'll try and get one in the next few days if no one beats me to it.

22 hours ago, kermit said:

A drone is overkill for the site, you can see all of it from Palmer st. Some yard tracks are already down and they are finishing up drainage work near the yard entrance. It looks like the remaining tracks will be down in the next two weeks. There is no reason why the switch cut-in and signaling can’t be completed by the end of February — the scheduled completion date for the project. The crew facility is already complete.

Should hire that crew for the new Amtrak station, as well as light rail projects.

On 1/15/2018 at 12:58 PM, PuppiesandKittens said:

Why doesn't the NCDOT just give up and turn this whole project over to Brightline? 

Fortress, an investment fund, just opened Brightline, which is a privately-built South Florida higher-speed rail system, complete with stations: gobrightline.com.  It was built in less time than this station is taking.

Yeah it’s amazing what you can do with almost 2 billion dollars.  It’s taking so long because the NCRR and City/County/State is resource limited.  The FEC was too for many decades, so they just didn’t offer passenger rail to south Florida.