Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

• 2 weeks later...

This building at 632 W Summit Ave once owned CP&F is getting demolished:  

https://www.google.com/maps/place/632+W+Summit+Ave,+Charlotte,+NC+28203/@35.221902,-80.8618727,21z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8856a1d649a6026d:0x6865e787185d990f

Additionally, the area for the propsed passenger equipment storage and service yard has been fenced off with signs saying "NCDOT property, no trespassing".  Are they finally going to lay the track for the service yard?:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/520+W+Palmer+St,+Charlotte,+NC+28203/@35.2234088,-80.8571732,20z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8856a1d459a79aff:0xc0218ceac7bf576a

NCDOT has eminent domain in that area to take some of CP&Fs unused property.

Edited by ChessieCat
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

With Phase II of the Gold Line "going" into action we have got to be hearing something new about Gateway Station within the next few months.  The alignments "demand", or at least suggest concurrent planning... Or one can hope.

OK, maybe not next few months, but "maybe" by years end a plan in place.

Edited by Popsickle
More reasonable

5 hours ago, southslider said:

The publicly funded portion of Gateway is now just track work for a relocated Amtrak station. Anything above and beyond that depends upon a joint development by private funding.

Any indications that such an agreement is in the works, or is this just a temporary track to nowhere ?

^ A temporary station at Gateway is planned as part of the current grant IIRC. CATS mentions development of the permanent station in every quarterly report. Unfortunately the discussion is mostly just a repetition of 'we are looking for money'

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Union Station in Raleigh it is really nice and just a few blocks from downtown. Could we not start off with something like this then upgrade later for I am worried it will take years to do such a grandiose station as planned. http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/04/07/downtown-raleighs-union-station-a-look-at-the.html  To ride the train from anywhere in NC and get to N Tryon at night is not a pleasant prospect. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Check out Union Station in Raleigh it is really nice and just a few blocks from downtown. Could we not start off with something like this then upgrade later for I am worried it will take years to do such a grandiose station as planned. http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/04/07/downtown-raleighs-union-station-a-look-at-the.html  To ride the train from anywhere in NC and get to N Tryon at night is not a pleasant prospect. 

That's the plan. A temporary station uptown 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like the new uptown AMTRAK station wont open until 2024 and it seems CATS might be dragging their feet. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article151435387.html and Cary has a better station than we currently do not to mention the new beautiful Union Station in Raleigh. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Looks like the new uptown AMTRAK station wont open until 2024 and it seems CATS might be dragging their feet. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article151435387.html and Cary has a better station than we currently do not to mention the new beautiful Union Station in Raleigh. 

CATS is really starting to piss me off.  It seems like lately they do nothing but announce delays-and the delays aren't short delays either.  There is no way it should take CATS 6 years to build a train station.  In Union County they are building a 20 mile freeway that will be open within 4 years of constructin start.  

John Lewis needs to be told that he and his organization either need to stop f---ing this away or that he and his team will be replaced.  How in the world do you build the goodwill to kickoff an ambitious build-all-lines-at-once transit plan if every announcement is some form of disappointing news?

• Like 4

The Charlotte Observer article was very short on details (not surprising) concerning what is holding back and/or delaying this new station on West Trade Street.  Correct if I am wrong and I DIDN'T review any of the past 38 pages of this thread, but I thought Norfolk Southern (again) was a major culprit in the initial delay because of them balking at the cost of replacing a bridge (I believe that goes over 5th Street).  This was several years ago.  

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Years ago NCDOT diverted federal $$$ to the new Raleigh Union station that was initially intended for the CSX/NS grade separation at Graham Interlocking (ADM) in 4th ward Charlotte.  CSX has since downgraded operations in western NC but I still can't see a successful AMTRAK station in uptown without the grade separation.

• Like 1

Dub1 made a rendering a few years ago of a new Amtrak station where the BLE crosses over CSX near Optimist Park.  It's still the best idea out there cause all major rail lines converge around that point (NCRR/NS, CSX, ACWR, AT&O, BLE).  It could have been completed by now!!!

Edited by ChessieCat

I've been hearing of an Amtrak station in Uptown since 2007.  10 yrs have passed and still nothing, and they said it was because of delays in funding, rising construction costs, Norfolk, NCDOT, etc.  I might be leaving Charlotte soon and not even get to see anything happen... I'm starting to not even believe in this project anymore. I don't know if I'll even be around 2024.   If it doesn't happen, then rest in peace gateway.