Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Because none of the burbs are dense enough to justify the investment.

Edit: nor do they ever have the potential to become dense enough given current zoning and NIMBY attitudes.

Bingo! They don't want it nor do they need it.

• 4 weeks later...

9 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

Hadn't seen these renderings yet.  Rail bridge lighting work over 4th, 5th and Trade (not sure which is which).  Wagner Murray designed.  Very Very cool looking.

trade-steast-looking-westnight032018preview.jpg

5th-steast-looking-westnight032018preview.jpg

Charlotte, we can't build culture, but we can tacky crap up with LEDs real good!

Don't get me wrong, I like them, but we really think LEDs make us word class don't we.

2 minutes ago, JBS said:

First is Trade, second is Fourth.  I personally like the lighting on buildings and here.  I don't think they are tacky.

With all due respect, you sound like a CO commenter...

I like them too. Theres just so. much. LEDs. Its getting a little much. The bottom is very star wars, I want to walk under it to the "Imperial March" and breath heavily into my hands, attempting to make a Darth Vader breathing noise. 

38 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Charlotte, we can't build culture, but we can tacky crap up with LEDs real good!

Don't get me wrong, I like them, but we really think LEDs make us word class don't we.

Culture is not built. It is cultivated over time. There are several organizations and individuals planting seeds all over town. It will show in it's own time. 

The lights are nice. Just a little fun. Cut is some slack. 

53 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

Hadn't seen these renderings yet.  Rail bridge lighting work over 4th, 5th and Trade (not sure which is which).  Wagner Murray designed.  Very Very cool looking.

trade-steast-looking-westnight032018preview.jpg

5th-steast-looking-westnight032018preview.jpg

This looks fun. Looking forward to hiring an uber to drive me back and forth. Me like shiny.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I like them too. Theres just so. much. LEDs. Its getting a little much. The bottom is very star wars, I want to walk under it to the "Imperial March" and breath heavily into my hands, attempting to make a Darth Vader breathing noise. 

Adding speakers playing that music would actually be awesome (even though I've never seen a Star Wars movie)...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Culture is not built. It is cultivated over time. There are several organizations and individuals planting seeds all over town. It will show in it's own time. 

The lights are nice. Just a little fun. Cut is some slack. 

I understand how Culture works bud. I am surprised nobody gets my sarcasm yet lol.

3 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Maybe it's the delivery bud.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like it, but I'd love to see new solutions for beautifying underpasses.

Here is the Business Journal subscriber article about them and Wagner Murray the architects.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/06/08/charlotte-architecture-firm-looks-to-the-future.html?ana=e_mc_prem&s=newsletter&ed=2018-06-08&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1528477954&j=82036701

From the article """A current project the partners are excited about are creating design features on to-be-constructed rail bridges along a Norfolk Southern line that will include more than 500 animated and color-changing light fixtures. The three bridges will be on Fourth, Fifth and Trade streets on the west side of uptown. "(It'll be) pretty incredible lighting that will really become a destination for the west side of the city, so we’re excited," Wagner said, adding that bridge construction, a public project, should be underway by late this year and complete by 2020. Wagner Murray is spearheading the architecture of the lighting portion of the project; the overall infrastructure has been funded by TIGER grants at the federal level, state money and supplemental funding from the city."""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Wish we could land these guys to light up the Matheson St. bridge underpass for the incredible historic artwork installation that was done years ago by a local artist who's name escapes me at the moment. 

Currently, it needs to be "gently" pressure washed (if that's even possible without damaging the art) an then install white LED's that would flood the embankment murals on both sides of N. Davidson.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

NC DOT awards contract today for the new station finally!  https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15331

That's great.  In the press release, it states that "this contract will construct phase one of the project, the tracks, signals & structures, which includes the platform, structures and roadbed for the tracks to get passenger trains to the future station."  Does anyone know if phase one will include the cable stayed portion of the project?  I didn't know if that would be considered part of the "structures" mentioned in the press release. 

image.thumb.png.2d395968f60c9b21e0264d6923d32952.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I love how they think the lights will make West End a destination all of the sudden. I think they should invest more into West End intself then trying to clean it up.

West End is changing rapidly actually and the streetcar will only accelerate those changes.  I wish I bought a house there 10 years ago...

• Like 2

Was that WIl Puckett a proud Patriot graduate of Independence High?

2 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

Wish we could land these guys to light up the Matheson St. bridge underpass for the incredible historic artwork installation that was done years ago by a local artist who's name escapes me at the moment. 

Currently, it needs to be "gently" pressure washed (if that's even possible without damaging the art) an then install white LED's that would flood the embankment murals on both sides of N. Davidson.

As someone who lives nearby I am excited to see some renderings and forward progress on this project. As someone who lives nearby I also just hope they plan street closures in a logical manner and don't create a 'dead zone' between Gateway Village and Uptown for 6 months at a time.

42 minutes ago, DH17 said:

As someone who lives nearby I am excited to see some renderings and forward progress on this project. As someone who lives nearby I also just hope they plan street closures in a logical manner and don't create a 'dead zone' between Gateway Village and Uptown for 6 months at a time.

I loved the dead zone during the starter phase of the gold line 

On 6/8/2018 at 4:19 PM, jtmonk said:

That's great.  In the press release, it states that "this contract will construct phase one of the project, the tracks, signals & structures, which includes the platform, structures and roadbed for the tracks to get passenger trains to the future station."  Does anyone know if phase one will include the cable stayed portion of the project?  I didn't know if that would be considered part of the "structures" mentioned in the press release. 

image.thumb.png.2d395968f60c9b21e0264d6923d32952.png

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article193815299.html

The article in the O says the tracks *and canopy* will be there with this contract phase.   The part that is still in question will be the station building structure component that is needed to move the Amtrak operations downtown.   They are working on that still and hopefully will get it done at the same time. 

• Like 1