dubone

Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

Dour-sounding report on WSOC about Gateway. Tone was, “Ground broken a year ago. Big splash. Still haven’t found a developer.”

23 minutes ago, Dale said:

Dour-sounding report on WSOC about Gateway. Tone was, “Ground broken a year ago. Big splash. Still haven’t found a developer.”

The RFP was released June 29 so not sure how quick WSOC expected things to progress. Maybe by 11 pm on the 29th? :tw_tounge_wink:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CLT> said:

The RFP was released June 29 so not sure how quick WSOC expected things to progress. Maybe by 11 pm on the 29th? :tw_tounge_wink:

He-he

The RFP was released June 29 so not sure how quick WSOC expected things to progress. Maybe by 11 pm on the 29th?

It was acutely only an RFQ. RFP will be next step to the RFQ ‘winners’.

• Like 1

I’m asking around contacts but anyone know why the Hines proposal in 2012 fell thru. I find it very interesting that it’s been slashed in half, land wise, since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was slashed in half by NCDOT then as well (after Hines was named), which was why they walked away.  Smaller project and timing uncertainty.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2012 at 2:13 PM, dubone said:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/facilities/gatewaystation/Documents/CGS.pdf

They do have more room for tracks than what I said earlier, but still nothing like what traditional stations contain, often dozens of tracks for trains to different locations.

I don't see the site plan that I was referring to that shows that that the only way to access tracks such as the Red line is on 4th or Trade street sidewalks, but I have seen one.

Also, this IS our plan. It's the one that has had it's environmental impact, and plenty of renderings, including the best one on page one of this thread posted by RDF21.

Basically, what our station will be is a few tracks with a small covering, 3 small office buildings one of which will have a big lobby which will be considered the station's grand hall, and a green roof plaza over a few bus bays, and some streetscape improvements.

I'm just being down on it this week, because I wish it was a grander scale. In the end, the rail improvements we can probably ever hope for in this era will be this, and it will be far better and more convenient than the current one.

And no, Orulz, I didn't mean to imply it was downsized from previous plans, simply that the plans we have had all along do not seem to be far reaching enough.

Nobody has the original PDF do they? Theres a story here.