Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

If the greenfield option get build. Then the southern extension of NEC will have much faster speed than NEC itself. And NEC won't be able to go beyond 160mph for very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly the Greenfield option is the winner in my opinion. If somehow it could serve downtown Greenville too that would be even better. Maybe SC could think about building a commuter line that would connect Greenville and Spartanburg to the HSR station and airport. If so, perhaps a few HSR trains (eg one every two hours or so) could turn onto that line and operate directly to downtown Greenville.

• Like 1

...or why can't they combine routes?  I think the "Greenfield" route is generally better overall, but if bringing the trains within the 85 corridor is possible along *all* of 85, why not do so in just the Greenville-Spartanburg area? It's already veering sharply west and then east again to make a connection at the airport, so I would say, follow the Greenfield route both SW and NE of GSP, but route it along 85 after leaving Anderson, and then back to Greenfield again after leaving Spartanburg. I know for certain the old 85 (i.e. 585) in Spartanburg needs an overhaul anyway, and the new 85 is not much more than a mile away from it at any point, so a radical reconstruction project there wouldn't be horribly disruptive. Greenville is more difficult, but I also think it's far more important for Greenville to have high speed rail running closer to its center, since it's the major population center in the Upstate region.  

Anyway, I don't understand why otherwise smart people allow themselves to be confined by Either/Or thinking. If it's cheaper and easier to go through countryside for most of the way, do that, but if it's actually a viable option worth serious consideration to construct a line along a highway for the *entire route*, then it should be o.k. to do it for a portion of it, when getting service directly to the largest population centers is contingent upon it.   

• Like 4

On 10/22/2019 at 1:00 PM, XRZ.ME said:

0fe693f19b307478e1025c7c1dd21d41.jpgf86c7f3b6e1519d2bbb059ab30c97aa3.jpg38e9d5c5b1022a5b47f3b9c6a7518350.jpg
Bridge over panther stadium underpass

Nice, but I wonder why they didn't go ahead and make it wider considering that the city has this slated as the connection between Stonewall/Graham and Cedar in the long term.     The whole point of creating those lists is to plan for those with projects built in the short term, as slightly longer bridge now is exponentially cheaper than widening it with operational railroad traffic overhead. 

5 hours ago, dubone said:

Nice, but I wonder why they didn't go ahead and make it wider considering that the city has this slated as the connection between Stonewall/Graham and Cedar in the long term.     The whole point of creating those lists is to plan for those with projects built in the short term, as slightly longer bridge now is exponentially cheaper than widening it with operational railroad traffic overhead. 

I also think the bridge is not high enough for light rail vehicle too. 

My bet is--if there isn't mal-coordination going on here--is that with the light rail now making the westward turn around here and taking the available right of way, it's only going to be a pedestrian connection, nothing more (i.e. no street connection), and this passageway fulfills that.

I'm guessing they're planning on elevating the silver line tracking over the heavy rail tracks.

My new dream is that if Tepper does get a new stadium, and if it gets built on the Charlotte Pipe and Foundry property, that they'd coordinate and actually have a station built at/within the the stadium, and not just utilize those at Bryant and McNinch streets on either side. I think that would be awesome (if done right). It could even be used only when the stadium is active, and just passed through on non-event days.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, XRZ.ME said:

43a4940c9623396eab697b07fdcba141.jpg
Why the progress is so slow? I guess there never been more than a dozen workers onsite

No specific information about this project but NS is well known for pulling its required safety workers (flagers) off jobs like this with no notice. This tendency was a big problem with the original Blue Line construction and is likely playing a role here as well.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, XRZ.ME said:

VA announce deal with CSX and Amtrak and VRE about buying 225mile of track between DC and Richmond. 75 mile of abandoned S line ROW. e3fd1a64c5711a2c69cc6a7e3e6fd9d4.jpgBuild new long bridge and 37mile of new track. Increase commuter and inter city trains.

https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2019/12/major-amtrak-vre-expansion-set-under-3-7-billion-virginia-csx-deal/

Requisite for connecting Charlotte to NEC

That 225 miles of track includes the east-west Buckingham Branch line from Doswell to Clifton Forge, Va. 

Edited by Seaboard Fellow

2 hours ago, Seaboard Fellow said:

That 225 miles of track includes the east-west Buckingham Branch line from Doswell to Clifton Forge, Va. 

The blue line in the picture I attached (Or you can click the link to read the high definition version) is 112 miles. times double track is about 225 miles.

Buckingham Branch line is 173 miles of ROW

• 2 weeks later...