Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

Interesting story out of Memphis today on the potential for new Amtrak intercity routes: https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/2020/01/15/amtrak-nashville-tennessee-train-service-state-legislators/4477648002/

It sounds like Amtrak is currently in the process of contacting states to guage their interest in supporting new intercity routes.  The pitch in Tennessee was for a daytime service from Memphis to Chicago and service from Nashville to Atlanta.  The effort appears to be part of the new Amtrak CEO focusing on short distance routes as well as the prospect of new federal funding:

The expansion plan relies on additional federal funding Amtrak hopes Congress will approve in a revised Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act.

Lang said Amtrak could present its vision to Congress as soon as the spring, once it has secured partnerships with interested states. 

"It's going to take anywhere from 12 to 24 months to redo the surface transportation bill," Lang said. "We think this presents us an opportunity to really transform the company."

This is relevant to us because if Amtrak is pushing for those Tennessee routes then I expect they will also push for a Charlotte to Atlanta day train, possibly DC to Asheville (as part of new SE service on the S-Line) and (less likely) Charlotte to Charleston (but I doubt SC is ready to play ball on rail). If this Amtrak expansion happens also expect to see federal  $$$ for the S-Line connection to Peetersburg and the speedier NEC service.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, j-man said:

When will they start actually constructing the station buildings for this? 

35 minutes ago, kermit said:

We still don't know (thanks to the nature of the public-private partnership)

RFPs for Charlotte Gateway Station development are due in March (I think it's March),  and the development will be awarded shortly thereafter in the Spring. I don't recall specific schedule requirements, but I suspect there's something in there that requires serviceable platforms within a certain timeframe.

• Thanks 1

I been doing research on Atlanta area Mass Transit and they really don’t have much of a robust system in relation to just how large their Metro Area is.  They have big commitments now (more counties signing onto MARTA) but I hadn’t realized how limited the Rail is - only 4 lines at 48 Miles in Length.

I hope Charlotte makes the right visionary commitments to Mass Transit.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think theres a chance it won't come back with any options. Lot of asks, not a whole lot of space.

Coming from a different thread - the above is relating to the RFP we should hear about relatively soon based on the original timeline (120-180 days after the 3 finalists are announced - they were announced in October).

Really interested in what comes of this - hoping Phase 2 can start by the end of this year or early 2021, but there are still a lot of unknowns.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DH17 said:

Coming from a different thread - the above is relating to the RFP we should hear about relatively soon based on the original timeline (120-180 days after the 3 finalists are announced - they were announced in October).

Really interested in what comes of this - hoping Phase 2 can start by the end of this year or early 2021, but there are still a lot of unknowns.

Phase II only includes additional Track Infrastructure & interim Amtrak building.  Phase III is supposed to be the large Station and Permanent Bus Terminal with some type of Private Development yet to be divulged in the forthcoming RFP.  

I think i read somewhere that Phase II is funded and will start with or without the larger RFP associated with Phase III.  I cut & pasted below:

Phase 2Edit

At an estimate cost of $49.9 million (2017 dollars), the second phase has two parts:

• 2A) Construct platform canopy; construct station building (interim condition) with full construction of concourse level and core and shell only for plaza and mezzanine levels; construct temporary surface parking and passenger drop-off area.
  • 2B) Decommission existing Amtrak station on North Tryon Street.

This phase is partially funded with capital carryover from phase 1. The anticipated construction period is 2019 to 2022.[1][11]

Phase 3Edit

At an estimate cost of $658.9 million (2017 dollars, the third phase has three parts:

• 3A) Construct greenway connection with bridge over Fourth Street, vertical circulation and retaining walls; construct bus facility, which includes structured parking and residential over retail wrapping garage (facility will serve as temporary parking for rail passengers till phase 3B is completed).
  • 3B) Complete upper section of station building; extend greenway with bridge over Trade Street, vertical circulation and retaining walls; extend greenway to Bank of America Stadium; construct private development around station.
  • 3C) Construct remote properties between Fifth and Seventh Streets; extend greenway to Ninth Street.

This phase is currently not funded, but is expected to be depended mostly from private developers. The anticipated construction period is 2020 to 2024.[1]

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 5:26 PM, cha said:

IMG_8811.thumb.jpeg.1bac63009fc980ce8b69b7b4331f199d.jpeg

Does anyone have any details on how CATS will connect the Lynx Silver Line with the heavy rail Amtrak and NS freight lines at the Gateway Station?  It has been stated in the past that light rail and heavy rail aren't allowed to use the same tracks so I was wondering if the current platforms under construction account for this separation or will CATS have to build a different platform for the Silver Line?    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, #1Son said:

Does anyone have any details on how CATS will connect the Lynx Silver Line with the heavy rail Amtrak and NS freight lines at the Gateway Station?  It has been stated in the past that light rail and heavy rail aren't allowed to use the same tracks so I was wondering if the current platforms under construction account for this separation or will CATS have to build a different platform for the Silver Line?    

Read this report - CLT Multimodal Report (Final) for Gateway Station.  It’ll shed some light.  Looks like they’re doing enough Widening for 4 Tracks total (2 Heavy Rail already existing).  Here’s the link https://charlottenc.gov/cats/transit-planning/charlotte-gateway-station/Documents/CGS MSAP - Final Report.pdf

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...