Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

10 minutes ago, stiluvclt said:

Even if they could replicate the former train station with that old tower (found in that beautiful photo book of old Charlotte) that was torn down in the early 60s.....that would look fantastic!

Charlotte

It was a pretty great station.  A nod to the style and tower would be fantastic, but I don't have my hopes up for it.

As Orluz pointed out in the past, the station is no longer with us because the City and Southern RR decided to elevate the mainline tracks through downtown which made it impractical to modify the station. That is how we ended up with our current crapshack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Totally Jealous of Denver Union Station.  They have really done a good comprehensive job making that the premiere Multi-Modal Station for that City.  I guess they benefit from being the only Major City in that State as well as the Capital.  

Hopefully Charlotte Gateway will turn out nice once Phase III is done in 2024/2025.

841F863F-14F0-4EB9-A8DA-DED55D23A23B.png

2028/29 I'd call it.

• 2 weeks later...

Since NCDOT is projecting $300M decrease in their budget due to less driving, they are cutting projects left and right. One of the projects on the chopping block is the Wye at Charlotte Junction which is needed to turn the passenger trains around at the new Charlotte Gateway Station. IF this is not funded soon we could end up with a new train station that has no trains.

3 hours ago, uptownliving said:

Since NCDOT is projecting $300M decrease in their budget due to less driving, they are cutting projects left and right. One of the projects on the chopping block is the Wye at Charlotte Junction which is needed to turn the passenger trains around at the new Charlotte Gateway Station. IF this is not funded soon we could end up with a new train station that has no trains.

Is the wye going to be -at- the junction (and thus using CSX tracks?) or is it going to rebuild the old wye at the NS Liddell shops? Either way seems like passenger equipment will foul CSX a bunch more.

I also thought NCDOT started running everything push-pull a couple of years ago to avoid the need for a turn?

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, uptownliving said:

Hopefully that issue precludes NCDOT from cutting funds for the Wye but I do understand that during these financially tight times nothing is safe...

19AAC553-7060-4BA8-9BB1-4D64DFDFB88E.png

On 4/22/2020 at 2:04 PM, tozmervo said:

The shoulder hardening on 77 was on the list of postponed projects. Let's hope that quietly gets cancelled - it's a ludicrous use of NCDOT money.

Your wish has come true - the $47 Million Shoulder Lanes has been eliminated/postponed several years due to the Budget Crunch.  Also - The $8.6 Million Charlotte Wye (Rail) has also been postponed/eliminated several years too.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Its not, but its really just a nominal change from the current setup. The Carolinian has been suspended since April 6 and NCDOT has been running just one Piedmont a day between Charlotte and Raleigh. This replaces the single Piedmont with the Carolinian which at least offers service to points North of Raleigh.

tldr: same number of trains per day plus restored corridor service.

Edit: My bad, the Carolinian will run, but only between Charlotte and Raleigh for the time being according to the Observer.

The state and Amtrak also suspended the Carolinian train that runs between Charlotte and New York City, with stops in the Triangle, because of low demand. The Carolinian will resume daily operations on Monday, May 18, but only between Charlotte and Raleigh. Amtrak and NCDOT hope to extend Carolinian service at least to Washington, D.C., sometime in June, said Jason Orthner, director of the Rail Division.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article242698691.html

Edited by kermit

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kermit said:

So CBJ says the project is now officially a go with Charlotte Gateway Partners, but I thought we knew that already.

The article also says that the NCDOT Charlotte Junction wye project has been delayed one year and is now scheduled for completion in 2022. INSERT TITLE HERE

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/06/04/developer-finally-on-board-for-gateway-station.html

What I have seen represents the densest and most ambitious project in the history of Charlotte. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

The trade st. Baptist church will probably sell out at some point and that’s a huge lot. 

Don’t forget the gateway entertainment area along cedar where the practice fields are... the whole area will be much different in 10 years! I only wish it could all happen in 5.  

On 6/7/2020 at 4:19 PM, Seabrooke said:

Edit: apparently I am developing Alzheimer’s and forgot seeing these lol. Old news but oh well, I’ll leave them here 

B719BC76-3585-4B86-89EA-B07F704E47D0.jpeg

2777C4FE-757C-4B69-9151-2125806593EB.jpeg

05CC63EE-3B48-427C-AC7E-EC79F9165CF0.jpeg

It will look vastly more big city :-) Think Essex Crossings only denser, taller,  and multimodal. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

It will look vastly more big city :-) Think Essex Crossings only denser, taller,  and multimodal. 

I know you're generally right, but I have zero hope that anything soon will be built other than the train station and maybe a 5 floor apartment building within a few blocks of it. 

These vision plans seem to never become reality (unless split up like 3rd ward was with Novare, or Levine who sold off some of his land). It seems more implausible that a "denser/taller" would come fruition at that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I know you're generally right, but I have zero hope that anything soon will be built other than the train station and maybe a 5 floor apartment building within a few blocks of it. 

These vision plans seem to never become reality (unless split up like 3rd ward was with Novare, or Levine who sold off some of his land). It seems more implausible that a "denser/taller" would come fruition at that.

The way its structured there its no possible way a 5 floor apartment building would be viable. If that's whats viable, then there is no train station.The intention is building high density to leverage and subsidize building a train station. Yes its probably pie in the sky, especially with so much turmoil.

Edited by Guest