Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

5 hours ago, CLT704 said:

It appears that SOM are involved as the architects, if so this is gonna be HUGE! I remember how excited I was for the Little proposal but I think that is going to be blown out of the water. 

I'm telling ya.

I've only seen one rendering besides the one posted on Instagram just now, but if it ends up like what I've seen it'll become the new gravitational center of uptown.

Edit: I'm a little surprised ColeJenest & Stone released a rendering and even tagged SOM in the post, as far as I know nothing has been announced yet and having SOM as the architects is a major get for Charlotte.

Edited by Madison Parkitect

1 minute ago, Madison Parkitect said:

And to expand on that, they're one of the most important architecture firms in the world, pretty much invented modern skyscraper design, and would be by far the biggest architectural name to grace Charlotte. Having SOM do a project here is a MAJOR deal.

SOM has had someone in Charlotte for a couple of years...likely pursuing this project. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I've only seen one rendering besides the one posted on Instagram just now, but if it ends up like what I've seen it'll become the new gravitational center of uptown.

Edit: I'm a little surprised ColeJenest & Stone released a rendering and even tagged SOM in the post, as far as I know nothing has been announced yet and having SOM as the architects is a major get for Charlotte.

Which IG account was the rending posted to?

24 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

The one someone posted near the top of this page was posted to ColeJenest & Stone's IG account. As far as I know that's the only one that's been released publicly, and to be honest I'm pretty surprised the civil engineer/landscape architect was allowed to be the first one to break the embargo.

Edit: Haha they also tagged the other team partners in the post so, uh, if that news wasn't public yet I guess it is now. Looks like Arup is the engineering firm, which is almost as big of a deal as SOM being the architects. With SOM and Arup on board I feel comfortable saying this would be the most important current project south of NYC. Those guys doing the project means Charlotte gets serious international recognition, especially if it's a serious multimodal transit hub.

I think CJS just posted info that was already out there.  Ashley Fahey tweeted the entire team a few days ago.  Render was in her article. Team sounds awesome.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

The one someone posted near the top of this page was posted to ColeJenest & Stone's IG account. As far as I know that's the only one that's been released publicly, and to be honest I'm pretty surprised the civil engineer/landscape architect was allowed to be the first one to break the embargo.

Edit: Haha they also tagged the other team partners in the post so, uh, if that news wasn't public yet I guess it is now. Looks like Arup is the engineering firm, which is almost as big of a deal as SOM being the architects. With SOM and Arup on board I feel comfortable saying this would be the most important current project south of NYC. Those guys doing the project means Charlotte gets serious international recognition, especially if it's a legit multimodal transit hub.

I doubt it would be the most important project south of NYC. Even if this isn't totally pie in the sky, which I would be completely shocked if this came true at all. No insider by any means, it just seems a little silly.

Also, Charlotte's Transit hub would basically by CTC 2.0. There will never be much Amtrak traffice outside of a couple trains to CLT; I see no reason for it to be any more grand than Raleigh Union Station.

Not trying to be a downer, just don't want to get disappointed.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, JeanClt said:

Yes, I totally get that, but if it does come to be as good as it seems to be looking in the renderings and information we have it should attract a lot of people when it’s completed. So many people travel between Raleigh and Charlotte all of the time and maybe people who would take a train would rather not take it because, let’s be completely honest, the current station is isolated, crowded, and just outright under equipped of the little people it does service. No one will take a train if they have to deal with that mess of a station. Either way it’ll be an upgrade from what we currently have. But of course hopefully it’s something very exciting and something that can become a landmark for Charlotte and the district as well becoming less of an area around the station and a destination that links the rest of the third and fourth ward to their eastern halves. 

I don't know much about the railroad industry, but I know some of you do. Could the trains that stay in NC not be scheduled to act as a commuter rail during while not running between Charlotte and Raleigh?

As in a Train in the morning could obviously just go to Raleigh, but another train act as a commuter rail (frequencies at like. 7AM, 8AM, 10 AM) and then head for Raleigh at like. 11AM or 12PM or something?

I don't know if the tracks even go to anywhere worthy of a commuter line or whether whoever owns the tracks would allow that many trains but. Just wondering

1 hour ago, kermit said:

I will admit, this would be an unusually long distance for commuter service.

I'd say it isn't. One look at Caltrain, MetroLink, and event the three big commuter rail programs in NYC show that this is the right scope. I think the big issue is validating that scale compared to our population. All of those aforementioned lines serve 10mil people, whereas this would serve maybe 7mil. Justifying that might be hard considering the cost. But the precedent remains, and I think the timing is right. 

• Like 3

I mean if the trends being seen hold, Charlotte is about to explode in pop density. I know there are a lot of rumors, but it seems people really are moving out of NYC and Chicago, and Charlotte is reaping a lot of that influx. If the rumored companies follow, we are going to need a multimodal station Like this with Amtrak, light rail, commuter rail, and bus. Or else we are going to quickly outpace our highway growth.