Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

RUSBUS confirmed to break ground next year in Raleigh. The private-public  mixed used project is starting to look amazing! We can expect the Gateway Station to have similar development eventually.

03a6857a30c8208af33a6fb64d82ff8600e9b17b_2_1380x920.thumb.jpeg.a454e45a15612352d3d102ab33c9c615.jpeg

I can only hope that Charlotte Gateway Station Private Development portion would be so nice.  Just seems like this Pandemic Recession is triggering substantial damage and changes in the way investments are made and the way people gather and move around.  If this project was at this stage 10+ years ago it may have come to fruition faster ...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, DMann said:

Anyone know if the tall spires, aka Golden Gate Bridge, are still part of the plan to hold up the platform roof coverage?

Everything I keep reading says "Canopy foundations"....of course I don't know exactly what that means.

https://www.charlottegatewaydistrict.com/project-vision/phase-1-construction/

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2021 at 4:29 AM, uptownliving said:

Everything I keep reading says "Canopy foundations"....of course I don't know exactly what that means.

https://www.charlottegatewaydistrict.com/project-vision/phase-1-construction/

I believe I saw info when the contracts were signed for Phase I that they aren't building the platform roof in this phase, just foundations for it.   That means there is a chance it gets cut later, but they are doing prep work for it as it is the plan. 

8 hours ago, dubone said:

I believe I saw info when the contracts were signed for Phase I that they aren't building the platform roof in this phase, just foundations for it.   That means there is a chance it gets cut later, but they are doing prep work for it as it is the plan. 

That mean's it's unlikely to get cut.  Foundations are designed for the structure they are going to carry.  

If we can step back a bit:

This station has been "just around the corner" for about 20 years.

I have zero confidence that government can get it done (at least in a timely and cost-effective manner).

Time for the government to get out of the way and let Brightline take over this station and the whole CLT-DC route (or at least Charlotte-Raleigh or whatever it wants).  If Brightline took over, we'd have a gleaming new station and gleaming new trains in short order.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Cityplanner said:

If we can step back a bit:

This station has been "just around the corner" for about 20 years.

I have zero confidence that government can get it done (at least in a timely and cost-effective manner).

Time for the government to get out of the way and let Brightline take over this station and the whole CLT-DC route (or at least Charlotte-Raleigh or whatever it wants).  If Brightline took over, we'd have a gleaming new station and gleaming new trains in short order.

I don’t know about that.  Sometimes it does take the ‘Public’ in Public Private Partnerships for developers to take on additional risk to make something bigger/better than it would have been.  Transit is a risky and expensive endeavor.   Brightline probably could/would strike faster but it certainly wouldn’t be ‘gleaming’ as that would lessen the bottom line.

• Like 1