Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

4 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Trains to the mountains (Asheville) and to the beach (Wilmington), yes!  For those of us who hate wasting time behind the wheel, and dealing with the stress and aggravation of driving, trains are a godsend.

https://charlotte.axios.com/253168/from-charlotte-to-asheville-and-wilmington-on-amtraks-new-proposed-train-routes/

The Train to Ashville confuses me. Is it a direct line from Salisbury to Asheville, or will there be a train from Charlotte to Asheville with a stop in Salisbury?  

15 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

The Train to Ashville confuses me. Is it a direct line from Salisbury to Asheville, or will there be a train from Charlotte to Asheville with a stop in Salisbury?  

I think that would depend on routing of train services, but the tracks in question do branch off from Salisbury.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 5:12 PM, Blue_Devil said:

It would make a lot of sense, because then you have Charlotte straight to Miami.

The route between raleigh and columbia makes literally 0 sense. It should be routed through gboro and clt to columbia from raleigh

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Is there a website or app that provides real time progress for passenger service trains? Something like Flightaware for planes. Maybe with notifications of slow progress, speed problems, but especially for progress of trains in motion and ETA.

https://www.amtrak.com/track-your-train.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

[not related to Gateway construction]

Amtrak has changed the schedule of the Crescent to account for increased delays from freight mostly on the Atlanta to New Orleans portion of the route. The Southbound schedule is not very different than the current schedule (departs 10 minutes later, still in the middle of the night) but the Northbound schedule is substantially changed. The Northbound Crescent is now scheduled to depart Charlotte at 5:31am and arrive in New York Moinihan at 6:14pm (previously it was scheduled for a 2pm ish arrival).

This is an interesting change for Charlotte riders. If the train can be consistently on time on this schedule then Charlotte effectively gains a second (day) New York train, granted one that is not much different than the Carolinian in terms of scheduling (the 80 departs Charlotte at 6:45am and scheduled for New York at 8:38pm). This is a plus for Charlotte since the Carolinian was frequently sold out pre Covid. However, the change will create occasional Charlotte platform space (and NCRR track) conflicts. 

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/analysis-lengthened-crescent-schedule-diminishes-its-usefulness/

*Personally I would rather board a train in the middle of the night than at the crack of dawn, but I am guessing I am in the minority

*Even with the schedule change I’ll bet the Northbound Crescent is not going to have reliable enough OTP to be useful for Charlotte-Greensboro commuters

23A6FC90-6349-4546-85D9-96169F04A0EF.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, kermit said:

[not related to Gateway construction]

Amtrak has changed the schedule of the Crescent to account for increased delays from freight mostly on the Atlanta to New Orleans portion of the route. The Southbound schedule is not very different than the current schedule (departs 10 minutes later, still in the middle of the night) but the Northbound schedule is substantially changed. The Northbound Crescent is now scheduled to depart Charlotte at 5:31am and arrive in New York Moinihan at 6:14pm (previously it was scheduled for a 2pm ish arrival).

This is an interesting change for Charlotte riders. If the train can be consistently on time on this schedule then Charlotte effectively gains a second (day) New York train, granted one that is not much different than the Carolinian in terms of scheduling (the 80 departs Charlotte at 6:45am and scheduled for New York at 8:38pm). This is a plus for Charlotte since the Carolinian was frequently sold out pre Covid. However, the change will create occasional Charlotte platform space (and NCRR track) conflicts. 

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/analysis-lengthened-crescent-schedule-diminishes-its-usefulness/

*Personally I would rather board a train in the middle of the night than at the crack of dawn, but I am guessing I am in the minority

*Even with the schedule change I’ll bet the Northbound Crescent is not going to have reliable enough OTP to be useful for Charlotte-Greensboro commuters

23A6FC90-6349-4546-85D9-96169F04A0EF.png

IF, and it's a big if because Amtrak, the Crescent can stay on time with this schedule, this is a big win for NC riders IMO. Especially for me here in Greensboro - 7:29 is a great departure time, and this train is nearly two hours faster to Washington than the Carolinian (which takes 8 hours to plod from Greensboro to DC). This makes the train a very competitive and attractive option for travel to DC.

It's also interesting to note just how slow this schedule is. As an example, Charlotte-Greensboro northbound is timetabled at 1h33m for the Piedmonts and 1h39m for the Carolinian. This schedule puts the Crescent at 1h58m for the same trip.

• Like 3

On 6/9/2021 at 2:11 PM, tarhoosier said:

Thanks for this. When I wake at 2:50 AM and listen in the silence a train horn in the distance may be this one.

It may be a product of my imagination but I am pretty sure the horn from the Amtrak GE Genesis locomotive used on the Crescent is audibly different than the horn on the various NS freight locomotives. I _think_ I can tell the difference when I heard trains from my house between 1 and 3am.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

I would like for those who have this experience closer to hand to comment.  My experience has been similar to @kermit and I hear different tones (?) and for sure when I lived in Dilworth with the bedroom window open in the wee hours there *seemed* to be differences though the direction and ground clutter, atmosphere and everything else plays a part. 

I am now almost two miles further away from my previous location so uncertainty increases as sound quality decreases. Those of you in NoDa or Belmont or other railroad adjacent locations, is this true?

8 hours ago, kermit said:

It may me a product of my imagination but I am pretty sure the horn from the Amtrak GE Genesis locomotive used on the Crescent is audibly different than the horn on the various NS freight locomotives. I _think_ I can tell the difference when I heard trains from my house between 1 and 3am.

They definitely are different. Different chimes and tuning. There are many in the railfan community who collect different types and can tell you what model just based on sound. I have many useless skills but this is one I have yet to master haha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/9/2021 at 3:14 PM, kermit said:

It may me a product of my imagination but I am pretty sure the horn from the Amtrak GE Genesis locomotive used on the Crescent is audibly different than the horn on the various NS freight locomotives. I _think_ I can tell the difference when I heard trains from my house between 1 and 3am.

On 6/9/2021 at 11:30 PM, ajfunder said:

They definitely are different. Different chimes and tuning. There are many in the railfan community who collect different types and can tell you what model just based on sound. I have many useless skills but this is one I have yet to master haha.

Search "K5LA" on YouTube. *cough, cough* Who said that? I don't know what that is.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...