Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

16 hours ago, kermit said:

^ Glad they are still being active with PR. Unfortunately Brightline has been having trouble selling their bonds to finance LA-Vegas. I think sources of capital are in wait and see mode. They need to see what kind of yields come from the Orlando service. If that looks good (won’t know for more than a year), then I think Brightline will begin a push for more routes, but LA-Vegas is first in line. Clt-Atl might be next, but I’ll bet it will require some big public subsidies.

LA transplant here... Brightline is not proposing a Los Angeles to Las Vegas route.... nice marketing spin by them. They are building a Victorville (crappy hell hole 85 miles outside of DTLA) to Las Vegas route. So a  Los Angeles customer will need to fight the congestion of the urban area to make it out to Victorville (where the traffic situation just starts to improve) just to pull over, park, and transfer to a train. Currently, there is no commuter rail to Victorville since it is out in the middle of nowhere, but Metrolink (So Cal's commuter rail) is studying a hypothetical link out to Victorville so customers could transfer from routes that do go to Los Angeles.

This service is incredibly inefficient against flying for the vast majority of Los Angeles County residents. LAX and Burbank airport are in the heart of where the vast majority of the population lives and it is a cheap $100 55 minute nonstop flight to Las Vegas with service on an airline nearly every 15 minutes.

HSR in Los Angeles, including the states struggling line, has not yet figured how to breach the region's mountain chains and dense development to bring new tracks into the actual city. IMO, they are just going to rip off investors not familiar with consumer behavior and traffic patterns in the region by calling Victorville the same as Los Angeles.

The "Los Angeles" terminus of the Brightline route, beautiful Victorville:
Victorville Property Management, Victorville Property Managers,  Victorville, CA Property Management Companies.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 8:59 PM, cowboy_wilhelm said:

The wye has been delayed until November.  The second platforms at Kannapolis and Salisbury have been delayed until December and March, respectively, due to "external actions" (probably NS whining about something).

I hope that the "external action" is them deciding to coordinate with NCDOT's purchase of new trains, and rethink the design to go for high platforms.

Level boarding at mid-line stations is likely the lowest-hanging fruit when it comes to speeding up Piedmont service. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

I remember talks of a temp Amtrak station (AmShack?) being constructed before the final station is completed. Is that still going to happen?

I believe I read that the city pulled the plug on that idea. I think it was because they were optimistic about development progress at the time and the shack would be an impediment. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Random shower thought: CATS should consider using the ACWR line for commuter/regional rail. This is a baseless assumption but since the ACWR company is smaller, and the fact that there is very low traffic on this line, maybe they might be more open to allowing passenger rail on their line than Norfolk South and the O-Line. You could place platforms/stations at Eastway, Sharon Amity, Harris, Harrisburg/Pence Road, and I-485/Albemarle, along with a stop at the Gateway Station. Expansions to Midland could also be a possibility if Cabarrus is onboard. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Spectrum is developing the office and residential towers at the Gateway Station .  Remember when I said there are 58 towers proposed around town over 15 floors here are 5.  Check out their website.  Make that 5 total towers here not 4. 

Gateway Station – Spectrum Companies (spectrumcos.com)

Think it is 1 or 2 office with 2-3 residential perhaps hotel. 

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but will Gateway Station replace the CTC (I think that's what it's called)? The website says "Gateway Station is located at Graham and West 4th Street in Uptown Charlotte. It will be a transformative intermodal project that connects the city of Charlotte's streetcar, taxi, bus, ridesharing, bicycle and pedestrian, and passenger rail services. 

I know I have read threads where people discuss getting rid of the CTC but I didn't realize this project may actually do that.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Gateway station is going to replace that embarrassing thing on North Tryon that we call our Amtrak station.  Gateway is going to be more intermodal and connective, however, it wasn't designed to replace the old CTC.  A long time ago, there's been discussions on moving the CTC somewhere else but most recently, there is a plan to redo the entire CTC block, which includes several towers.  IMO, until they do that, CTC is holding back the development/progress of the surrounding blocks.  

CTC will be decentralized - and buses will use both a redeveloped CTC site and a new Gateway Station bus facility.  What routes go where is TBD I believe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but will Gateway Station replace the CTC (I think that's what it's called)? The website says "Gateway Station is located at Graham and West 4th Street in Uptown Charlotte. It will be a transformative intermodal project that connects the city of Charlotte's streetcar, taxi, bus, ridesharing, bicycle and pedestrian, and passenger rail services. 

I know I have read threads where people discuss getting rid of the CTC but I didn't realize this project may actually do that.

Yes relocated Amtrak station and inter city bus lines like Greyhound service.  Plus Silver Line is supposed to run there too.    But there is a proposal to redevelop the CTC on East Trade too. 

• Like 2