Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

I’ll say a one last thing
My crystal ball says if you’re happy with Legacy Union, you’ll be happy Gateway Station. 

We have not seen any details yet from the designer…if you have insight that others here don’t, please let us know. I’m not sure what you’re basing your opinions on? Is it speculation and pure pessimism or something you know that we do not?

At least say why you think what you think.
  • Like 3

I have utilized RUS a few times so trust I myself am not “poo poo” talking it down. It’s a great station and has transformed and will continue to do so the area that surrounds it. The difference between RUS and CGS is that one is built and one isn’t respectively. We can talk about RUS and it what it does a great job in and what needs work. CGS doesn’t exist yet that is why I was confused by your remarks.

Truly would love closer connections between the two cities by rail since I have traveled up to Raleigh quite a few times this year. Rail is an option I’m willing to take over a car despite it being nearly an hour longer. I think these two stations is a step in the right direction for sustainability in intercity travel in NC especially between the two great populations centers. I’m sure and hopeful both areas will thrive as intended. If either do not it would be a shame. Raleigh has a head start but I wouldn’t count out Charlotte so quickly.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheRealClayton said:

This is being designed by one of the top architecture firms in the world Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. It has an incredible amount of public activation. 

Now we just have to keep the Accountants and "Value" Engineers away from it and let it be fully realized as envisioned.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

In all honesty, I feel like Redline should be a priority one way or another to make this station truly work. I know NS is not budging, but everyone has a number. I am hopeful with Winston Salem starting to want to use NS track it will help push them in the right direction. But having the Redline come in would be huge. 

Red Line would be big. Silver Line would be bigger as by nature it will run far more often. That being said, I do believe CATS has prioritized the Red Line above the Silver Line in their build out proposal, assuming a deal can be struck with NS.

12 hours ago, ajfunder said:

Red Line would be big. Silver Line would be bigger as by nature it will run far more often. That being said, I do believe CATS has prioritized the Red Line above the Silver Line in their build out proposal, assuming a deal can be struck with NS.

I am assuming its because if they can get Redline started there will be more political favor from the northern section of the county. 

14 hours ago, JeanClt said:

Commuter rail would help relieve a lot of the strain on Charlottes interstates and commuter arteries. Redline would be a great start, but I think there could be moree

I see no reason why we couldn't have peak commuter rail on the NCRR to Salisbury. A pipe dream of mine would have it terminate on the NC Transportation Museum property with a final stop in Spencer. Lots of state owned land and existing rail infrastructure for equipment layover and storage.

I get the need for NS to maintain the NCRR corridor from a cost perspective, but I do wish the state would flex its muscles a bit. Taking over dispatching from NS which is notoriously poor at dispatching passenger rail would be a huge improvement on the NCRR. This would not improve O Line negotiations though.

CATS must be careful with the North Line. They cannot promise the Red Line without an agreement in place prior to the vote, otherwise this will very likely blow-up in their face.

Edited by ajfunder
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

Mecklenburg County should threaten Eminent Domain for the sake of more efficient and sustainable mobility over the greedy Oligarchical freight companies who want to prioritize their slow snail trains over fast efficient passenger trains.

The railroad companies would argue freight is a LOT more "efficient" and sustainable.  Lower cost to maintain rails,  fewer time constraints, fewer lawsuits (from people twisting their ankles climbing aboard to actual deaths by accidents)  more fuel efficient than trucking, etc. etc. 

• Like 1

The railroad companies would argue freight is a LOT more "efficient" and sustainable.  Lower cost to maintain rails,  fewer time constraints, fewer lawsuits (from people twisting their ankles climbing aboard to actual deaths by accidents)  more fuel efficient than trucking, etc. etc. 

It was in blue font (a joke) for a reason… Trains are in fact the most efficient mode of transportation on land of goods (freight) or people (passenger). Like any company the freight companies have their best interest in mind. (Though I never mentioned anything about them not being efficient…Cargo ships are actually much more efficient and are pretty slow themselves). When I mentioned them being slow, I was referring to their speed relative to passenger rail which are typically a lot higher.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ajfunder said:

Agreed that is NS's perspective. I work for a Class 1 Railroad and it is very true we do have our interest in mind for obvious reasons. That being said, NS is far more obstructionist than the Class 1 I work for. We have a set, publicly available list of requirements for participating in commuter and intercity projects. If you meet those guidelines, we almost always are willing to come to the table because we see it as a business opportunity. NS from what I can see does not.

We also operate commuter rail on two of our busiest rail lines in Chicago (~90 commuter trips) and Seattle (~26 commuter trips) and we are able to coexist and dispatch trains effectively. These lines are far busier than the NCRR and the O-Line for that matter from a freight perspective. We also have an A rating for Amtrak dispatching. Pretty sure NS has an F. 

It is all about internal attitudes. NS and CSX for that matter are the two most anti-passenger rail companies out there. Just look at the Gulf Passenger rail debacle. What sucks for Charlotte is that these are the two companies we are forced to deal with.

Passenger rail and freight can coexist and even thrive if both parties are willing. The O-line is half Out-of-Service and the rest sees one train a few days a week. There is absolutely no need for double track on the O-Line, and to be honest, what Charlotte has proposed (a complete rebuild, CTC, PTC, and passing sidings) is more than reasonable. Agreed, the state holds the ultimate trump card by owning the NCRR, and truly will be critical to making the Red Line ever happen.

If all this is the case (dealing with NS & CSX) then how is Wake County/Go Triangle on the cusp of establishing Commuter Rail in the next few (5+) years?

I think that the only way NS ever allows commuter trains on the O-line is with a long term extension to their lease/control of the NCRR and only for the life of that lease.

Alternatively, if intercity passenger rail is more important, NCDOT could call NS's O-line bluff at the end of their NCRR lease and take control of the NCRR to prioritize fast, frequent intercity passenger service with local and more limited through freight scheduled and dispatched around it.

I just don't see a way to get frequent passenger trains on both lines without spending a ridiculous amount of money. 

• Like 1