Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

2 hours ago, JeanClt said:

I don’t know if this is old or new… but I haven’t seen the top of that rendering before. Only have seen the ground level section in the CBJ.

https://spectrumcos.com/portfolios/gateway-station/

You’re right! I actually haven’t seen the top view of the rendering either. Appears to be much wider as well. Wonder how different the final result will be.

D1C655F2-F862-494F-AFD1-7E3D9A2C1DDA.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/29/2021 at 6:41 PM, ajfunder said:

We also operate commuter rail on two of our busiest rail lines in Chicago (~90 commuter trips) and Seattle (~26 commuter trips)

You guys run the Sounder commuter train? That's a pretty nicely-run system, I know a fair amount of people use it for daily commutes and other than the occasional mudslide there's never really any complaints or trip cancellations.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 9:01 PM, san said:

You’re right! I actually haven’t seen the top view of the rendering either. Appears to be much wider as well. Wonder how different the final result will be.

D1C655F2-F862-494F-AFD1-7E3D9A2C1DDA.jpeg

I would be perfectly content if that bottom portion was the only thing built assuming it’s the actual station. I say that because who knows if Covid effects the timeline these buildings can be built. 

But at the end of the day - it’s about the Amtrak & Transit Station and it’s a nice looking station even without several office buildings attached. And quite frankly, whenever Amtrak isn’t an 8+ hour affair from Washington DC and when there are more trains not at ridiculous times (2am for example…) - it’d be nice to arrive to that versus the current situation…. And it’d be nice to utilize the Sprinter or something from the airport. 

That's what so great about our most recent stretch of development being so office heavy.  The desirability and usefulness of Uptown increased so much that now a ton of residential is sorely needed.  Imagine if the last five to eight years had been mostly housing and hospitality and the hope was that the office component would come next.  I imagine we would see a near dead stop in construction in the wait to see how things pan out after all this pandemic mess. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Third Strike said:

In other commuter rail news, an underused freight line in NYC would be upgraded for passenger rail. 

https://gothamist.com/news/hochul-promises-inter-borough-express-rail-service-connect-brooklyn-and-queens

This line is currently owned by a shortline company and runs twice a day. Hopefully more states and cities continue to expand their regional/commuter rail systems. 

This also makes me firmly believe that the NCRR and the ACWR would be the most feasible lines for commuter rail. The former is owned by the state and the latter is owned by a shortline with low freight traffic. 

B3CF6133-B5BF-4A7B-BB02-7A7CE5AC62F0.jpeg

Worth noting this has been in the works for 25 years. I lived a 10 min walk from this and dreamed about it for all the 12 years I lived in Brooklyn.

Edited by TheRealClayton

1 hour ago, kermit said:

^ Track ownership issues aside, Charlotte would really benefit from regional rail running from Kannapolis to Gastonia (with occasional trains running to Kings Mountain and Salisbury) and a route from Rock Hill to Mooresville. Fantasy-land would be for four trains per hour on both corridors.

Its not gonna happen, but that would arguably do more to improve the health of Uptown, reduce the growth of congestion and reduce housing costs than any other strategy Charlotte could pursue other than the UDO. It is a shame that 50% of those corridors are either owned by the state or (essentially) abandoned — this system really isn’t unrealistic.

Do the planning departments of surrounding counties/cities/towns outside of Mecklenburg have TOD concepts in their ordinances/zoning codes?

18 minutes ago, ajfunder said:

Is there any info or draft plans on how the Silver Line will move through the CGS site. I assume this is being taken into account in the master-plan.

There were some renderings of the Gateway station platform area which included the Silver Line and rail trail, along with vague indications of where the non-station buildings would be.  They were conceptual rather than engineering documents.  I can't find those at the moment, but they are (or were) upthread here.

There were some renderings of the Gateway station platform area which included the Silver Line and rail trail, along with vague indications of where the non-station buildings would be.  They were conceptual rather than engineering documents.  I can't find those at the moment, but they are (or were) upthread here.

Never seen such a rendering?

43 minutes ago, kermit said:

As usual my memory is unreliable. Here is what I found:

The rendering I was thinking of (it does not include the Silver Line) but does include rail trail. 

ff87a10c1aba41bb75fbd25c428fdcdd.jpg

This Gateway Station area report has lots different perspectives to the above. Frustratingly there does not appear to be any mention of the Silver Line in the report: https://charlottenc.gov/cats/transit-planning/charlotte-gateway-station/Documents/CGS MSAP - Final Report.pdf

CATS definitely published maps of the Silver Line route for public meetings, and one of those maps sketched the route and Gateway station with decent detail. I am still looking for this map.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, kermit said:

CATS definitely published maps of the Silver Line route for public meetings, and one of those maps sketched the route and Gateway station with decent detail. I am still looking for this map.

They used to have a bunch of renderings on the station area planning site (https://www.catssilverline.com), but that seems to be gone now that public input has ended.  They had this elevation view at the in person station area planning events.  It just showed it smashed between the Amtrak tracks and the station. 

On 7/23/2021 at 8:45 AM, TGIBridays said:

Gateway Station Elevation View

For some reason this elevation was stuck on below the Caldwell/Davidson station drawing...  Just shows the proposed elevations of the line in relation to the Amtrak station/tracks.

20210722_175819.thumb.jpg.4b2b43aa251258ea43720ebcf9b9971a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1