Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

Is it actually confirmed that the station will be below-grade at Gateway? 

This is the first I have heard of it, and if true, that's pretty exciting. Below-grade could mean many things though I guess and doesn't necessarily mean a tunnel...could be in a trench, etc. 

Are there any links to the station plan at Gateway?

What they are clumsily trying to say is the station building (where people will wait, get baggage and (theoretically) get tickets) will be at street level, which is below the grade of the tracks. The tracks are definitely not getting trenched or tunneled, they have nearly finished the track and platform work (ex canopy) for the station already.

Oops, sorry. I just now realized you are asking about bus, not train access. I have fully tuned out the bus plans so I can't help there.

Oops again. @Real Ricky Clayton Fan has said that the Silver Line will be tunneled though the district. I assume the tunnel will be dug as cut and cover during building construction. I don't doubt RDF, but I will say he is (I believe) the only datapoint we have referencing the underground Silver Line (along with recent rendering not showing the Silver Line).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kermit said:

What they are clumsily trying to say is the station building (where people will wait, get baggage and (theoretically) get tickets) will be at street level, which is below the grade of the tracks. The tracks are definitely not getting trenched or tunneled, they have nearly finished the track and platform work (ex canopy) for the station already.

Oops, sorry. I just now realized you are asking about bus, not train access. I have fully tuned out the bus plans so I can't help there.

Oops again. @Real Ricky Clayton Fan has said that the Silver Line will be tunneled though the district. I assume the tunnel will be dug as cut and cover during building construction. I don't doubt RDF, but I will say he is (I believe) the only datapoint we have referencing the underground Silver Line (along with recent rendering not showing the Silver Line).

If they truly plan to put the Silver Line in a tunnel underneath the Gateway Station...that's almost (hypocritical?) about face.

By hypocritical, I remember CATS saying how tunneling is "off the table",  "disruptive",  "too expensive", "risky", "we don't know what the conditions under Uptown are like". 

I wonder what made them change their minds. 

18 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

It is the plan. Its not the same thing as having a widespread underground tunnels. It will be a relatively small tunnel, and not under any existing buildings. 

Do not believe that Silver Line will be underground.   Would be very surprised if this is the plan. 

Considering this tunnel is not very long I wouldn’t say it is too great of a challenge that it couldn’t be done. There is already (albeit a way smaller tunnel) to get to UNC Charlotte terminus. This tunnel would be a step up, but wouldn’t as convoluted as say… tunneling under trade. It’s short, on underdeveloped land, and as someone mentioned before it could be made even simpler by having a cut and cover operation (cheapest way to build a tunnel). As of now it seems like an ideal situation with the least disturbance of any other alignment through uptown and relatively straightforward operation (with the little knowledge I know). They couldn’t cut and cover trade.

• Like 1

This makes me curious about something. As we all know several cities in the US have extensive underground rapid transit systems. The most obvious examples are huge metro areas with densely populated urban cores (NYC, Philadelphia, DC, etc.) and it's not too shocking that they accomplished this. Especially given many of them were partially constructed many decades ago, some before cars became more mainstream. 

But like, Seattle has an impressively long light rail subway line. Seattle is a big city, the metro area is substantially larger than Charlotte's, but it's no DC or Philly. And this is a relatively new light rail line, like Charlotte's, so the whole "different era" thing doesn't apply. So I'm wondering what exactly Seattle has done that makes such a feat doable for them, whereas the idea of something like that is laughable in Charlotte. I'm not asking for an underground line in Charlotte, but more just curious: how come it's so flabbergasting to even think about the idea? Do Seattle citizens pay more taxes towards public transportation? Is the geography/geology somehow better there? Do they just have different/better leadership?

Dallas is another example of a modern light rail subway line (with another one planned), although Dallas is gigantic so I figured it didn't compare as much.

• Like 4

Wow, great explanation, thank you.

I assume Charlotte is seeking or expecting some amount of federal funding for the Silver Line and Gateway Station? I'm jealous of cities that get "massive wads of federal funding" to build their transit systems, but I assume Charlotte needs to accomplish certain things in order to earn that.

Wow, great explanation, thank you.
I assume Charlotte is seeking or expecting some amount of federal funding for the Silver Line and Gateway Station? I'm jealous of cities that get "massive wads of federal funding" to build their transit systems, but I assume Charlotte needs to accomplish certain things in order to earn that.

CATS is working on getting those funds. They understand the momentous moment this is for funding.
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, JeanClt said:

CATS is working on getting those funds. They understand the momentous moment this is for funding.

I hope they do better at approaching Washington (hat in hand) with plans than they do running the (light) railroad or managing the Norfolk Southern team railroad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JeanClt said:

From what I hear NS railroad is not fun company to deal with…

Getting to the point the city, county (yes, I know the county has no dog in this fight but a strongly worded letter might help?) and state should put the dick in dictator and exercise whatever rights or powers they have in this matter to  compell Norfolk Souther to come to the table and negotiate in good faith. Or, does NS really hold ALL the cards?

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 5:16 PM, kermit said:

Thats what the stacking plan I've seen shows. cut and cover is the only way to fit it all in. What I can absolutely say for certain, is that the alignment of uses is whats holding this entire thing back.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 1

1) Sugar Creek, UNCC, Harrisburg, Concord, Kannapolis, Salisbury
Very feasible and relatively low cost. Tracks 100% owned by the NCRR and are completely double tracked. Concord does not have a great station site, it would probably need to be out by the bus terminal near 85, otherwise would be a home run in terms of ridership.

I think this is on the right track. I'd probably fit in a few more stations though. Under no circumstances should there be literally more than 5 miles between stations on this line. Concord probably gets 3 stations for example. NC49, Cabarrus Ave, and the bus depot by I-85. That's still at least 3 miles between each station. Maybe fit in another one between Sugar Creek and UNCC, Grier Rd perhaps. Although maybe that is not necessary if you can extend the Blue Line to connect with the commuter rail at Universit City Blvd.

• Like 1