Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

question:  all this land the state DOT owns along N Smith St between 6th St and 9th St being used for the track expansion and will any of it be sold off after the project is completed?  Or is this where the Silver Line might run through? 

My distant memory is that early Gateway masterplans showed those lots being developed with buildings, but the Silver Line will likely eat up enough space as to make those lots unfeasible for most projects. The light rail ROW itself isn't especially wide, but it has to be set pretty far off the main RR line tracks to clear the RR ROW

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, kermit said:

Its not controversial. They bought them at a good price to refurbish and then expand service on the Piedmont trains. This process is exactly how they built the service up. After the purchase the federal government strongly encouraged them to apply for a new equipment grant which was rolled out quickly after a wreck which caused some to question the safety of old equipment.  NCDOT got a sizable grant for new coaches making the circus train surplus.

There was no bad judgement here, only bad timing (and the right wing press hunting for ways to make the NCDOT rail program look bad).

don't know if I would call the Raleigh News and Observer the right wing press.  It does say in the last line of the article they routinely buy used rail cars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

58 minutes ago, jthomas said:

or how I-40 in Davie County has been under perpetual construction for 10 years rebuilding a rebuild) - that's up to the reader's interpretation.

As someone raised in Davie County and still goes back several times a year.  It's insane how long they have been doing work on I-40 in the general area.  Especially the portion near the Yadkin River.  First they widened the portion of I-40 from the Yadkin River to the Clemmons Exit (184) in Forsyth.  Then they completely re-did the bridge over the Yadkin River.  Now they are widening and adding lanes from the Bermuda Run Exit (180) to the Yadkin River in Davie County.  These projects have been going on for 15+ years.

Now you have the construction mess that has been progressing from literally the Iredell/Davie border through the Mocksville exit's (168 and 170) all the way to exit 174.  To the point where they have you detouring through country back roads to reach Winston-Salem.  

• Like 2

I feel like this must have been posted, but I didn't see if flipping back a few pages and this rendering is new to me (i think).

http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_04/Main-Rendering-Gateway-Station-1024x663.thumb.jpg.a47fb4de5e1d7945f3aa59c19d1b2e20.jpg

It’s not new but it’s nice to see an actual image. It’s on their website. I hope this is what it comes out looking like with much vibrancy.

Is this somewhat official, or at least a true rendering of what it might look like? I was always under the impression that the development surrounding the station was a public-private partnership that was still just sort of murky, far-future stuff. Like is this just concept art or a serious design they are working on?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Is this somewhat official, or at least a true rendering of what it might look like? I was always under the impression that the development surrounding the station was a public-private partnership that was still just sort of murky, far-future stuff. Like is this just concept art or a serious design they are working on?

It's old but last I heard it was a preliminary rendering, but this is the latest on the idea for the space. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just looked into taking an amtrak to and from Atlanta and there is basically one train a day at a weird time making to totally impractical.  Does anyone know when the Amtrak station is officially moving here and if there are any plans to increase service between here and Atlanta?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NYtoCLT said:

I just looked into taking an amtrak to and from Atlanta and there is basically one train a day at a weird time making to totally impractical.  Does anyone know when the Amtrak station is officially moving here and if there are any plans to increase service between here and Atlanta?

More Atlanta-Charlotte service is on Amtrak’s to do list (it appears on their ConnectUS map), but its not going to happen anytime soon (i.e. this decade). NS owns those tracks and they are beyond capacity for freight so they would want crazy money for more passenger rail. GADOT has identified a preferred route for greenfield HSR (true 240 mph service) and Joel Ossof tried to get $10 billion to start construction on the route written into the build back better bill. Needless to say, I would not put any wagers on CLT-ATL HSR opening up soon.

tldr: unless you want to depart Charlotte at 2am don’t plan on riding the train to Atlanta anytime in the next 20 years.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, NYtoCLT said:

I had a feeling this was the case.  Very disappointing.  Flying it is.  It's a shame too -- if it was fast and even remotely cost competitive with flying it would be popular.  It's legitmately the perfect train distance (too far to drive, too close to fly).  

I haven't ridden it in a few years, but I'd check out Megabus. It looks like they have one trip a day, leaving at 4:15pm.  There may be other services now.  At least when heading north, their double-decker busses were reliable, clean, and comfortable, and had decent enough wifi access.  They also didn't have many stops, so travel time was comparable to driving.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Just watched this great video on NC intercity rail service. The guy takes the Carolinian and Piedmont between Greensboro and Raleigh (no Charlotte but it’s mentioned often). Thought it might interest some of you. We honestly might take our rail system for granted sometimes, outside of the Northeast I don’t know if many states have lines as useful and frequent as ours. 

California's Amtrak service is superior to ours with routes like the Pacific Surfliner connecting the downtowns of Southern California from San Luis Obispo to downtown LA to downtown San Diego, et. with 26 trains a day. It is the busiest Amtrak route outside the Northeast. 

The lack of onward transit connections to explore the city you arrive in is the toughest thing for NC inner city rail if your destination isn't walking distance of the station.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:59 AM, CLT2014 said:

The lack of onward transit connections to explore the city you arrive in is the toughest thing for NC inner city rail if your destination isn't walking distance of the station.

The City's most frequent bus route used to be the one connecting Charlotte's existing Amtrak station, but ironically, the opening of the Blue Line Extension reduced the frequency of that bus connection.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have never actually been to the current station but Google Earth tells me enough and my reaction can best be described as "disgusted".  I imagine New Yorkers or Philadelphians taking the Carolinian down to Charlotte for business and pulling in to that sad little building next to a gray old rail yard and thinking "this is the so-called booming city of Charlotte?"

From an image perspective, Gateway Station is one of the most urgent and necessary projects for Charlotte. A true big East Coast city needs an accessible and pleasant train station that shows off the city to visitors. First impressions matter.

Side note, the current station appears to just be surrounded by acres of... dusty fields. Will this area ever be targeted for development? Or is it rail yard property or something which would make it difficult?

• Like 4