Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

22 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

But the NC cities have rather poor mass transit serving their metropolitan areas, have low density and are sprawled out. That makes it limited to the types of trips that could be taken. That are competitive with vehicle. 

Most people in the Charlotte region and Charlotte itself  would have to drive to Gateway station or take multiple transfers on mass transit, pay a round trip ticket and then when you get to Raleigh. Hopefully you have a hotel downtown or on a popular bus route and everywhere you need to go is convenient to walking or mass transit. 

I think inter-city rail works best when they connect to places that if not are high density at least have good mobility. Charlotte has the best mobility of the Carolina cities but it’s still limited to the city of Charlotte and specifically on the light rail corridor and a few key bus routes.

NC needs to invest more in mass transit of their two largest cities. Both are willing to play ball. The two new Amtrak stations though are a giant step in the right direction. If Triangle gets more rail which seems likely connected to RUS, Accela service which seems sort of likely & connected to the NEC, rail to Wilmington which I dunno how likely that would be. That too would be a monumental step which makes intercity NC travel more successful. 

Good points and I also agree with the many responses you have gotten too. One thing that stuck out - is it true that we are expecting Acela service to extend into NC? Presumably after some track upgrades. If so that is fantastic, I would be ecstatic.

22 hours ago, kermit said:

^ A fantastic post! I'll add a couple of tentative supporting points to it:

• Honestly the stations on the Piedmont route are not _THAT_ bad in terms of walkability. Pretty much every stop has a pleasant and walkable downtown (with the possible exception of Cary which does offer very convenient strip club access from the station).
  • Adding a few stations (for commuter rail) would add direct access to: NCSU, Research Triangle Park, Duke University and Hospital (wheather they want it or not), UNC-G and Elon (and possibly UNCC)
  • Raleigh BRT will provide a non-trivial amount of additional employment access (shame about DOLRT)
  • Charlotte Gateway will bring the Piedmont into the middle of the largest single job cluster in the Southeast
  • A Winston loop would also add a remarkably walkable downtown  (and an increasingly important research park and medical school) to the network (but this is certainly far-fetched)

While NC cities do have gawdawful job sprawl, it would only take small changes for much of this employment to become more TOD accessible (like the American Tobacco Campus in Durham).  The addition of micromobility in these places (Lime has been very on and off in Greensboro), much better bike infrastructure (bikes are free on the Piedmont!) and some thoughtful systems built around rideshare could eliminate much of the accessibility handicaps that NC cities have.

I speak from experience, I have ridden the Piedmont to the following places as a walking or biking tourist: Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, High Point (the least delightful but still fine), Salisbury and Kannapolis. Maybe one day I'll get to Burlington...

Quote in Bold - Are you saying that Uptown CLT has the most Cluster of Jobs in the entire Southeast?  Bigger than Downtown Atlanta or Miami?  If that’s true, no wonder traffic is so bad during Morning & Evening commutes there.

Edited by Hushpuppy321

18 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Quote in Bold - Are you saying that Uptown CLT has the most Cluster of Jobs in the entire Southeast?  Bigger than Downtown Atlanta or Miami?  If that’s true, no wonder traffic is so bad during Morning & Evening commutes there.

I pulled that stat out of my ass, but I am guessing Uptown Charlotte has (pre pandemic) more jobs that either downtown or midtown Atlanta (taken separately). Given that I didn’t check the numbers (maybe I’ll do that tonight) I should have said ‘one of’. I don’t know enough about downtown Miami to hazard a guess (but everyone knows South Florida is not part of the Southeast).

35 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I have some caveats with some of the responses that the travel by train would still be rather niche for how car dependent the NC metropolitan areas and cities are. I wasn't going to respond because I figured it might derail an important topic. But since I want to reply to this comment, I'm not saying don't build or upgrade. I'm just saying I think the impacts on an hourly intercity train service(which would rival the Pacific Surfliner in terms of frequency with maybe a fraction of the population and hitting beaches) wouldn't be some large catalyst or have a large impact on the metropolitan areas of their car dependencies. That is going to come with zoning, a fundamental shift to higher density.

I think Acela service to Raleigh is likely.

While it would be huge to extend the NEC down to NC, Acela service to NC will require that Virginia electrifies its new lines, something that is possible, but not currently planned. Running CAT wore through Virginia would probably involve building new, dedicated passenger tracks on the ROW they purchased from CSX since CSX is reluctant to run double stack intermodal under wire. Its also not planned to run wire from Petersburg to Raleigh, these two upgrades would be several billion and generally only make sense for 20+ trains per day, something that is not on the horizon from Raleigh. That said, there is talk of hybrid battery/wire trains which would charge off short sections of wire and at end points which would reduce the cost of stringing wire. [although one of the big advantages of electric trains is they don’t need to carry the extra weight of fuel, batteries negate that advantage]

In terms of ridership and density, NC’s late bloomer status has some advantages. If we end up in a hybrid work world, living close to NC intercity rail provides a huge array of feasible office locations for occasional in person work and collaboration. Its totally reasonable to expect some folks to be based in Greensboro and visit an RTP office via rail once a week as part of a job (or be a researcher in the Charlotte medical school and make periodic trips to Durham for collaboration). This sort of connectivity would be a huge advantage in a hybrid-work world.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

No Dude you are correct - If you compare Uptown Charlotte to Downtown Atlanta, Uptown wins with 33 Million Sq. ft to Atlanta’s 26 Million.  If you compare total CBD areas then Atlanta is bigger with 48 Million Sq.Ft total (Downtown + Midtown ATL).   I did some research since I made that previous comment on your comment.  I’m sure the Pandemic has changed things a bit (Everywhere) but Uptown Charlotte is truly the Largest Concentration of Office in the Southeast (Judging only Downtown vs Downtown).  If you compare Total CBD’s then Atlanta is first but over a much larger area than Charlottes CBD (Uptown, Midtown, SouthEnd).

Don't forget Atlanta has Buckhead (22msft) and Perimeter (29m) markets as well.  So Atlanta has more than 99m sqft within am 20 mile radius of downtown Atlanta in Fulton county (also doesn't include Cobb County or DeKalb).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Don't forget Atlanta has Buckhead (22msft) and Perimeter (29m) markets as well.  So Atlanta has more than 99m sqft within am 20 mile radius of downtown Atlanta in Fulton county (also doesn't include Cobb County or DeKalb).

True but keep in mind that Bukhead is a bit further from downtown Atlanta than Southpark is from Uptown and Perimeter Center is roughly Ballantyne distance away. 

(I am not disputing your numbers, metro Atlanta is bigger. Just suggesting a more Apples to Apples comparison. Looks like SP and Ballantyne together account for about 12 million sqft).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

https://fampo.org/galleries/origin/389fay-2-ral-passenger-rail-final-report-8-21-2020.pdf

There’s a new proposal to create a commuter line between Raleigh and Fayetteville. One of the rail corridors under consideration is owned by Norfolk Southern (the other is part of the NCRR and CSX). Would be awesome if any negotiations with potentially using NS’ rail line, also involved our Red Line. I believe this is the only line that NS has that connects to Fayetteville, so I’m not sure how NS would feel with passenger rail sharing their tracks. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, kermit said:

Fayetteville commuter service from Raleigh is a good idea. Unfortunately its an apples to oranges comparison to the Red Line.

The NS main connecting the Northeast to the deep South is the line from Charlotte-Greensboro (the NCRR) and then on to Danville. Nearly all of the other NS tracks in NC merely collect local freight and are not significant moneymakers for the railroad. NS has been actively shortlining its secondary tracks in the state (the route from Salisbury to Asheville is in the process of being sold) and bulking up facilities along its main (e.g. Charlotte intermodal yard).

You can see from the map below the NS Fayetteville tracks (in green) are just a spur, possibly maintained with military subsidies to insure that two Class 1 rr’s can reach Ft Bragg. Other than a couple on concrete plants I did not see much local freight on the route and there is a weird (for NC) stretch of street running on Hilsboro st in Fayetteville. This line is just a minor appendage to an unimportant portion (eastern NC) of the NS network.

The O-Line on the other hand generates very little local freight but can theoretically serve as a replacement for the NS main (on the leased NCRR).  It would be a crappy replacement (it will always be slow), but NS can credibly point to it and say to the NCRR “we don’t really need to renew our lease, but if you give us a good price then we will think about it.” That leverage is greatly reduced if it is being used as a commuter route since freight capacity on the line is reduced. Pretty much everyone recognizes this is just BS posturing but here we are…

2B512A77-4532-4D34-B96B-2DCC8890B16A.jpeg

I wasn’t aware that NS was selling the Salisbury/Asheville line. Any chance the state would be interested in buying it? Especially since there’s been a renewed interest in connecting Asheville with rail?

6 hours ago, Third Strike said:

I wasn’t aware that NS was selling the Salisbury/Asheville line. Any chance the state would be interested in buying it? Especially since there’s been a renewed interest in connecting Asheville with rail?

I have not heard any talk about the state purchasing the line, they generally only make purchases of abandoned lines and in this case there is enough local freight to generate short line interest (so no abandonment is likely). Its a shame the state operates that way because a) the line would be a nice bookend to the NCRR and b) restoring Asheville passenger service will require lots of speed upgrades to the existing tracks for it to be viable.   IIRC NS has already designaled everything West of Salisbury so it all has a 25mph speed limit, and a short line owner will certainly not do anything to increase speeds on their own.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Story about Raleigh's Union Station but mentions Charlotte and our new gateway station.  There is funding for our station as this article seems to say otherwise.

https://www.costar.com/article/1229547465/this-raleigh-north-carolina-amtrak-station-could-provide-model-for-other-cities

RUS Bus tower is getting underway and it is a 37 story apartment tower over the main bus depot and terminus for their BRT.    For more info on that tower go to this thread 

• Like 2

What if NCRR replaced Silver Line to Airport on new tracks for commuter rail separate from Norfolk Southern?  If Silver Line no longer runs through Uptown east-west, maybe the western half should be split up between commuter rail to Airport (and Gaston), plus Gold Line spur to West Charlotte.  NCRR could follow the LPA from Gateway Station to Belmont, while Gold Line could return to Wesley Heights, as well as other west corridors with stronger TOD potential.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, JeanClt said:

10cd27a9e2a7bf663ddd6399968d64dc.jpg

Is this just a bike path or a representation of a rail trail adjacent or nearby a Silver Line????

(I am totally opposed to Julie Eiselt's demand/pique that the Silver Line is aligned with the Blue Line through downtown, and am hoping CATS is just humoring her until they can prove it's not smart as well as not feasible. IMHO) 

• Like 3