Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

13 hours ago, JeanClt said:

http://www.capstonedevco.com/gateway-station

05d331ef35e8b4d75340f2019eb26987.jpg

10cd27a9e2a7bf663ddd6399968d64dc.jpg

I wonder how this will turn out and how close it will look to these. Phase 1 should be wrapping up next year.

I’m afraid I just keep up with the gateway station / silver line. 

is this actually happening? I know that phase of of the station is wrapping up, so I’d assume yes. However, from other discussions, it sounds as though the silver line is a completely tossup.

but if the silver line might not happen… how does the gateway station exist? Am I missing something?

When will work begin on the train station and when is it expected to complete?

When will work begin on adjacent uses like retail and residential, next to the train station (office likely dead for quite some time)?  For whatever it's worth, Charlotte's Gateway station is listed in the "under development" section of Capstone Development's website.

Edited by RANYC

37 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Just saw on WCNC news that Amtrak will offer a special train from Raleigh on Panthers game day and it said it was stopping in Uptown.  Is that true or do they mean the current Amtrak station that is not uptown?  Said it will arrive around 930 am on game day.  

https://abc11.com/carolina-panthers-train-to-games-amtrak-charlotte/12161725/

Update I guess it is the regular amtrak station which means people will still need to get to the stadium by some other means

the arrival time suggests its the regular N Tryon station.

Wouda been cool though!

[I don't believe there is any pedestrian route from the Gateway platform down to the street yet]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

I remember (does anyone else) that in 1996, the first season of the Panthers here in the new stadium, CATS announced special buses running from several outer locations direct to the stadium area. Park at shopping mall areas, for example, on Sunday morning and let them take you there for much less than the cost of parking. Result: the buses were swamped with riders. Far more riders waiting for not enough buses and eventually those left stranded realized no further buses would arrive. That was the only time CATS tried that experiment.

• Like 4

I just thought maybe they could make an exception and stop uptown for this one train back and forth.   To some in the media business maybe the current Amtrak station is uptown but we all know it is not. 

Maybe a special CATS bus directly to the stadium or close by??  wouldn't that be great?  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

They could take the #21 or #11 bus that runs every 30 minutes on Sunday and will get them Uptown! 

You just have to run across 4 lanes of fast traffic without a cross walk to stand on a little concrete pad while you wait.

image.thumb.png.4e3fd52aca696aeff5eee7ccfe31e8b3.png

dang that's a FANCY bus stop. the little patch of concrete is adorable. no budget left for a bench though I guess.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

I have seen CATS buses waiting at the Amtrak station itself for arrivals at train arrival times. I cannot say what bus route it was but not for special events, just the normal weekaday connection. Too lazy to check CATS site for this.

The 11 does stop at the station for regular train service. TBD if CATS will do a special bus for this special Amtrak train.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Just saw on WCNC news that Amtrak will offer a special train from Raleigh on Panthers game day and it said it was stopping in Uptown.  Is that true or do they mean the current Amtrak station that is not uptown?  Said it will arrive around 930 am on game day.  

https://abc11.com/carolina-panthers-train-to-games-amtrak-charlotte/12161725/

Update I guess it is the regular amtrak station which means people will still need to get to the stadium by some other means

This will be so great once Gateway is completed. As I said earlier on this page I grew up in the Triangle and am a big Panthers fan (as are most of my friends). I am certain people in the region would love to take this train to see games without dealing with traffic and allow themselves to drink a little more too. Especially once Raleigh Union Station is connected to the commuter rail that is under development there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

Someone on Reddit has noted that a new track was built next to the ACWR in NoDa. Don’t think it’s the realignment project, as this track is right next to the existing tracks. Any idea what they are for? This is next to the crossing on 36th Street. 

I have not seen the 36th street crossing but I saw crews replacing rails on the ACWR spur out of Charlotte yard from the Blue Line last week (maybe yesterday?). I am 99% sure there is not a second track (no grading work as been done as visible from the Blue Line)  but the new/old rails staged beside the existing track might make it appear like it is a second track.

This track replacement is sad news. The ACWR NoDa bypass (new tracks connecting the ACWR to the NCRR along Sugar Creek to replace the tracks which run through the middle of NoDa) has been on the books for a long while, I guess they have given up on it. Its a shame because I believe the ACWR bypass is necessary to build the passenger bypass tracks around the Charlotte yard to Gateway.

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, kermit said:

I have not seen the 36th street crossing but I saw crews replacing rails on the ACWR spur out of Charlotte yard from the Blue Line last week (maybe yesterday?). I am 99% sure there is not a second track (no grading work as been done as visible from the Blue Line)  but the new/old rails staged beside the existing track might make it appear like it is a second track.

This track replacement is sad news. The ACWR NoDa bypass (new tracks connecting the ACWR to the NCRR along Sugar Creek to replace the tracks which run through the middle of NoDa) has been on the books for a long while, I guess they have given up on it. Its a shame because I believe the ACWR bypass is necessary to build the passenger bypass tracks around the Charlotte yard to Gateway.

7vwwvnfb0vk91.thumb.webp.c442cadae23465ca276806f2505ed109.webp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1