Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

1 hour ago, JHart said:

Bummer. They did put in a switch and it is currently connected if that changes anything.

H57jVZ6.thumb.jpeg.66ae9f35b8547c4e2ad155bcde0d1f8f.jpeg

^ In that case I am stumped. Its hard to imagine they would go to the trouble to put in a switch if they planned to just replace track. 

Now I am super interested in what is happening.

EDIT: There is an abandoned siding on the south side of the tracks here (its no longer connected to the main, you can see it on google maps). Perhaps they needed to replace it on the other side of the track??? Its a strange place for a siding, the heart of NoDa is a lousy place to store equipment and there are certainly no freight customers and why didn't they just restore the existing?

Edited by kermit

On 9/19/2022 at 6:55 PM, ajfunder said:

Party Train

Looks like the party train if successful will become a fixture in the neighborhood. Explains why they built a whole track. The train nerd in me loves this.

I remember there used to be one like this parked near the football stadium in 4th ward. This was in the 90s. Pretty cool and not sure why it was terminated. (no pun intended)

• Like 1

From the current Carolina's Association for Passenger Trains newsletter:
Phase 1 of the Charlotte Multi-modal Transportation Center project "Gateway " is now
completed. Phase 2 will include construction of the center which will serve Amtrak, Gold Line Streetcar, and local and inter-city bus services. It will be incorporated into a multi-story mixed-use high-rise development and may also serve light rail. Opening of the facility is expected in 2026.

NCDOT confirms this. Completion date before was “2023*” now “Fall 2022.”

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/charlotte-gateway/Pages/default.aspx

Would like to here more about phase 2 soon.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CLT Development said:

I've actually had renderings for this project since 2019, and I cannot give away the original source. You can find these two on Capstone's website. 

Since the renderings are from pre-Covid, are they still accurate, to the best of your knowledge?  Or are these hypothetical renditions?