Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

It does not appear that anyone here has any firm knowledge of when the PPP project (which includes the station) will begin. It also appears that it is a mystery to the developer as well (see below).  As I said a few posts up NCDOT is currently saying “2026” for expected completion date.
The city decided building out the district as a single PPP was the right choice back 10(?) years ago. In hindsight, it appears that using public money for the station project (like Raleigh did) and then allowing the district to develop organically around the station (like Raleigh did) may have been a quicker/better path. 
Edit: I decided to check the most recent CATS Quarterly report to the FTA for info. Here is what they said about the station (page 86). Perhaps we will have some useful news on start dates in April?
DDCB0035-58F1-4A49-9600-AA7468C60C13.thumb.jpeg.b37a2ab3ca637e8cbfa75ddf21abb65b.jpeg

D5614C3A-D121-4414-8896-A25D1864E6DB.thumb.jpeg.4e064ae3369f40293456754baba26da7.jpeg
CATS_FTA_Quarterly_Report_2022-12-07_FINAL.pdf#search=CATS%20FTA%20quarterly

That rendering is of similar angle but different, nice to see it. It looks nice.

On another note I asked someone that works for the city in relevant department about CGS sometime last year around this time. Their reaction was quite hilarious. To attempt an describe it… it went a little like this.

giphy.gif

So hopefully that timetable will stand
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Since there is a rail line from uptown to south Charlotte, why not build a station in south Charlotte, and build platforms uptown where the uptown station is proposed to be?
Wouldn’t that help ridership more than just an uptown station would, given the large population base in south Charlotte?

That sounds like commuter rail ; )
  • Like 1

Just now, JeanClt said:

That sounds like commuter rail ; )

It might but that’s not the intent.  I figure that if someone from south Charlotte wants to go to Greensboro or Raleigh-Durham, having a station in south Charlotte would help make trains more attractive.  If you can start off on I-485 and then go to I-85, that makes driving much more attractive than driving uptown to start a train trip there.

9 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Since there is a rail line from uptown to south Charlotte, why not build a station in south Charlotte, and build platforms uptown where the uptown station is proposed to be?

Wouldn’t that help ridership more than just an uptown station would, given the large population base in south Charlotte?

I think its a fine idea. Unfortunately Norfolk Southern is likely to have a different opinion about it. The tradeoff is it would mean Piedmont trains not being able to stop at the airport (would be about 1/4 east of Billy Graham).

FWIW the preferred route identified for Atlanta-Charlotte HSR has a South Gastonia (state line) stop, that would serve some of the S Charlotte market (perhaps by 2075…).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think its a fine idea. Unfortunately Norfolk Southern is likely to have a different opinion about it. The tradeoff is it would mean not stopping at the airport.
FWIW the preferred route identified for Atlanta-Charlotte HSR has a South Gastonia (state line) stop, that would serve some of the S Charlotte market (in 2075…).

Isn’t it owned by csx?

The line that runs beside the Blue line in South Charlotte is the NS Columbia subdivision. The only CSX tracks in Mecklenburg are the Matthews-Paw Creek line.
https://www.openrailwaymap.org/
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2023_01/image.png.df8a401bf5966bfd822da47db1795478.png

Ah I was thinking of the csx tracks and not this one…

12 minutes ago, RANYC said:

In 2015, Charlotte business leaders traveled to Denver to see that city's refurbished Union Station.  In 2016, Uptown denizens attended a visioning session to conclude that Gateway Station should be iconic.  At the time, planners asserted that the new station would open in 2021.  Here we are in 2023, and I'm not really hearing anything about any sort of plans going vertical.  The tracks and platform look nice, but it's hard to celebrate when usage feels and looks so far away.  Anyway know what's going on with this thing?

Far away from what? Its the closest possible place for a multi modal transportation center and its a few blocks from trade and tryon. The development around it alone will integrate it right into uptown. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Regarding the proposed Salisbury-to-Asheville rail line, what kind of speed should we expect on this line? There’s about a two hour drive between the two cities, about 128 miles apart. If we’re talking speeds of 30mph, then it would take four plus hours, not including the stops in the cities between. Likewise, if the new Amtrak line does become a reality, I do hope CATS considers a bus that runs from Charlotte to Statesville, along I-77.  Maybe an extension of the planned MetroRapid BRT to the future Amtrak station in Statesville. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...