Ronald Reagan Dies at 93

cityboi

Former President Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 After Battling Alzheimer's for Decade

Web Producer: Emily Bailey

Modified: 6/5/2004 5:05:16 PM Send this story to a friend

Printable Version

Los Angeles

The former president had been ill with Alzheimer's disease. He disclosed in 1994 that he had the incurable brain disorder.

The conservative Republican won two landslide presidential elections in 1980 and 1984. He waged a relentless battle against communism by boosting defense spending and developing a personal relationship with Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev. Reagan is also remembered for pushing the Strategic Defense Initiative, or "Star Wars."

His administration was tarnished by the Iran-Contra arms-for-hostages scandal, but he remains an icon among many Republicans.

Reagan was born in Illinois in 1911. He spent more than 30 years in Hollywood as an actor and jumped into a second career of politics in the 1960s, being elected governor of California and, eventually, president.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing about Reagan was that hes had the best sense of humor i've seen out of any president in recent years. I was 2 years old when he was elected in 1980 and I was 10 years old when he left office. While i'm a democrat and do not agree with his policies he set in place in the 80s, he was a likeable guy and that was one reason alot of democrats voted for him.

One thing about Reagan was that hes had the best sense of humor i've seen out of any president in recent years. I was 2 years old when he was elected in 1980 and I was 10 years old when he left office. While i'm a democrat and do not agree with his policies he set in place in the 80s, he was a likeable guy and that was one reason alot of democrats voted for him.

Indeed, his affable and self-deprecating style kept him in good stead even with his opponents. He could disagree with a person without being disagreeable.

Guest donaltopablo

I'm with cityboi, I'm a little young to really remember a huge amount about his policies or actions. He was definitely charismatic (although considering he was an actor prior to going into politics, that's not that surprising). But it's always a worth note when a President passes on regardless of their political stance.

Archived