My Day at NoDaFest

Nostyle

Well, like I told you all we would, today my wife and I checked out NoDaFest (for more on NoDa, see monsoon's NoDa threads NoDa (pt I) and NoDa (Pt II)). Here's the pics I got...

From NoDaFest, looking back at Uptown (for a sense of perspective):

festival2.jpg

The festival was a blend of tents and vendors set up along the street and in parking lots, along with the galleries that are always open along this stretch. Here are some shots of North Davidson:

festival9.jpg

festival10.jpg

Much like Uptown, North Davidson has absolutely no brick ;):

brick.jpg

festival16.jpg

festival17.jpg

Looking down 36th:

festival8.jpg

Neighborhood Theater:

neighborhoodtheater.jpg

Tents:

festival.jpg

festival3.jpg

festival4.jpg

festival5.jpg

festival6.jpg

festival7.jpg

festival11.jpg

festival12.jpg

festival13.jpg

festival14.jpg

festival15.jpg

My wife and I had lunch at this Mellow Mushroom pizzaria:

mellowmushroom2.jpg

Like monsoon has mentioned before, here is an example of one of the upside-down rooms above your head, nailed to the ceiling:

mellowmushroom.jpg

Very good pizza, although the service was a bit, so so...they were overwhelmed today.

Nearby they had a stage set up for live music:

stage.jpg

One of the vendors was selling artists studios. They've come to the right place to advertise their product...

artistsstudios.jpg

The kids area featured a lot of music, sidewalk chalk drawing, and demonstrations of breakdancing and other forms of dance:

kidsarea.jpg

kidsarea2.jpg

kidsstage.jpg

breakdancing.jpg

dancing.jpg

It was pretty hot out, so they did open up a fire hydrant nearby to help the kids keep cool:

hydrant.jpg

Of course, half the festival was actually indoors. All the galleries were open:

gallery.jpg

I didn't want to take many pictures in these galleries (for fear the gallery owners might get upset), but I did snap this one just to give you an idea:

gallery2.jpg

That concludes my tour of NodaFest, but while I was up there I walked around the neighborhood too.

NoDa feels about as urban as any area of Charlotte I've been to so far. I like the mix of classic and contemporary designs you see throughout the area:

neighborhood.jpg

neighborhood2.jpg

neighborhood3.jpg

neighborhood6.jpg

I noticed that many homes did not have driveways. Even homes that did have driveways had 'improvised' stone driveways, rather than wide, concrete ones.

neighborhood7.jpg

neighborhood9.jpg

Notice how close together these homes are. I liked the dense feel of the area, and the fact that the area is pretty nicely gridded as well.

neighborhood10.jpg

neighborhood4.jpg

Check out the chimney on this one:

chimney.jpg

Corner market (note the brand new home being built next door):

neighborhood5.jpg

There is a good amount of new construction in this area, although I wouldn't yet call it 'booming' (not yet, but soon...) However, the Highland Mill renovation is impressive. That place is massive:

construction.jpg

construction2.jpg

It was a fun day overall. I saw a lot more of the area than I'd ever seen before. Even my wife enjoyed it, and she is a die-hard suburbanite. My last shot, a skyline looking back at Uptown from NoDa:

skyline.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice photos and an interesting looking event. I have heard this used to be a very bad area just a few years ago.

I'm still not sure I'd walk through there alone at 9PM. 8-) But it is getting much better from what I hear and see.

Archived