Green Master Plan for Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cable suspension probably isn't a good idea from a long maintenance perspective. Salt spray from the highway on a cable system + corrosion issues(I know they use something else for the deck spray system but there's still a lot of salt in the air.) How about a signature cantilever pier with a conventional span (with some bells & whistles)? i don't think there will be enough clearance to go under the pier caps and stay above high water.

PS: Non - motorized 2 way path has to be 10 feet wide to qualify for federal enhancement funds (see photo shopped picture).

• 5 weeks later...

Who is in charge of the event calendar?!

Green Pursuits is now available at your local GR Planning Department.

Just in time for Earth Day!

How "green" is Grand Rapids? Game begins community discussion about the importance of parks, greenspace and the riverfront to create a more livable city.

Can you identify stream corridor locations in the city?

What is the best and worst street to cycle on in Grand Rapids?

If you could preserve one existing green space in the city, what would it be?

To start a well-timed Earth Day conversation about green space in our city that could easily stretch past the 90 allotted minutes, all you need is a recyclable box of Green Pursuits.

Created by leaders of the recently launched Green Grand Rapids project, the fun yet instructive game is designed to start a meaningful dialogue among neighbors, businesses, special interest groups and the public about their ideas on parks, greenspace, connectivity, natural systems, health, finance, and the Grand River.

The game is free and now available. Inside the game box are the Green Pursuits topic cards, answer booklet and the Grand Rapids city map "game board" accompanied by colored markers and sticky dots. Add a group of four to eight people, ages 5 and above

Who is in charge of the event calendar?!

Green Pursuits is now available at your local GR Planning Department.

Just in time for Earth Day!

How "green" is Grand Rapids? Game begins community discussion about the importance of parks, greenspace and the riverfront to create a more livable city.

Can you identify stream corridor locations in the city?

What is the best and worst street to cycle on in Grand Rapids?

If you could preserve one existing green space in the city, what would it be?

To start a well-timed Earth Day conversation about green space in our city that could easily stretch past the 90 allotted minutes, all you need is a recyclable box of Green Pursuits.

Created by leaders of the recently launched Green Grand Rapids project, the fun yet instructive game is designed to start a meaningful dialogue among neighbors, businesses, special interest groups and the public about their ideas on parks, greenspace, connectivity, natural systems, health, finance, and the Grand River.

The game is free and now available. Inside the game box are the Green Pursuits topic cards, answer booklet and the Grand Rapids city map "game board" accompanied by colored markers and sticky dots. Add a group of four to eight people, ages 5 and above – or larger groups if you break into teams. Bring your own pencil, and let the game begin!

For a copy of Green Pursuits, contact the Grand Rapids Planning Department, 616-456-3031. Games can be picked up at the Grand Rapids Planning Department, 1120 Monroe NW. Game results are due May 16, 2008.

Gather your friends and neighbors, or even take the game to work or school, says Grand Rapids' Planning Director Suzanne Schulz. "My goal is that thousands of people throughout the city will be playing Green Pursuits – hosting Earth Day dinner parties with friends, or taking it to block clubs, scout troops, church groups and bowling leagues. People are even planning to play the game at a local micro-brewery!" she says.

"Afterward, people need to bring the game back to the Planning Department so we can tabulate results and redistribute the game to others. We'll report on the answers we collect from the community in June and will create a second game by August."

Steering committee members already are planning game nights with family, friends and colleagues, including leaders of the West Michigan Environmental Action Council (WMEAC), Midtown Neighborhood Association, and the city's Parks and Recreation Department.

"The committee was delighted with this community outreach tool prepared by the Green Grand Rapids team, and I believe citizens will be delighted as well," says Jack Hoffman, chairman of the Green Grand Rapids steering committee. "With Green Pursuits, I am confident the conversation will be as enjoyable as it is important."

Financial supporters of the project include Grand Rapids' Downtown Development Authority, Wege Foundation, Frey Foundation, Grand Rapids Community Foundation and Dyer-Ives Foundation.

For more information, call 616-456-3031, or visit the Green Grand Rapids website at: www.greengrandrapids.us

Related Rapid Growth articles:

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmen...ursuit0410.aspx

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/pubpark9808.aspx

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmentnews/GGR0131.aspx

Kent Trails starts at John John Ball Park. Fulton Street to Lexington to Butterworth to John Ball or straight out Fulton to John Ball and go to the SW corner on Butterworth. Take Kent Trails straight out to Millennium, don't turn left and take the bridge across the Grand River. If you take a left you can run or bike on Kent Trails to 84th Street in Byron Center. Later this summer you will be able to take a left at M-6 and take the brand new M-6 trail to Clyde Park & 68th Street. By late this fall, if you take city streets from Clyde Park & 68th St over to Division & M-6, you will be able to take Phase 2 of M-6 Trail out to Wing & 60th where it will connect to Paul Henry Trail. Next summer, Phase 3 of the M6 Trail will connect Phase 1 & 2.

PS: GRD3 - I was going to pull the S-curve plans today and do a little layout - forgot all about it :( . I'll try not to forget next week.

I was given one of these Green Pursuits games/packages from someone at the DDA, and they are asking UrbanPlanet to fill out one of these and turn it in to the Planning Department. I need about 8 - 10 people to help with the game, so just let me know if you are interested. The city has even offered space at city hall to do it, but I know most people are busy during the day when city hall is open, so an evening or weekend might be better.

Here's your chance to help steer the path of Grand Rapids "Green Master Plan" in a fun way!

Also, if you have a group that is interested in playing Green Pursuits and having it be part of the Master Plan process, you can pick one up at the Planning Department. It's open to anyone.

I had actually been contemplating trying to host a UP Green Pursuits party on my deck when the weather was nice. I was going to try and bribe people to come with beer and hummus. :) But, the weather is not looking nice for a deck party next week, so Four Friends would be fine by me. I've been meaning to get some gelato...yum!

I played the game at the Western MMBA (Mich. Mtn Biking Assoc.) meeting at Founders on April 14th. It's pretty fun, but almost tries to cover too much ground for a reasonable playing time. In order get through a good portion of the questions and activities with decent time for discussion, I would try to block out 2-2 1/2 hours, but it could easily go even go longer if you spent more time for discussion and covered ALL of the questions. However, by that time, you've generally exhausted most people's attention spans. :)

Monday or Wednesday night should be okay for Amy (she's the master schedule planner, though, because I forget stuff) and I next week. We could also possibly make Tuesday if that worked better for others.

Since it's already been done at Founders, I would prefer a different venue. Tuesday at the Friends might bring in some of the swing dance crowd (they have begun their summer convening at RPC).

Would it make sense to have different people doing it, rather than having folks who've already participated re-playing?

[has run lively public hearings; one comment per citizen]

Since it's already been done at Founders, I would prefer a different venue. Tuesday at the Friends might bring in some of the swing dance crowd (they have begun their summer convening at RPC).

Would it make sense to have different people doing it, rather than having folks who've already participated re-playing?

[has run lively public hearings; one comment per citizen]

My opinion is that the game being played at Founder's with a number of MMBA members (none of whom read this board that I am aware) does not have any direct bearing on whether or not the UP group should meet at Founder's. I think the location should be dependent on where the people who are willing to play and the person organizing the meeting would like to play.

I have no problem with either location (FF is my favorite coffee shop), but I would prefer Founder's.

As far as repeat playing, this not a lively public hearing. The game is not designed so that every person writes down their individual opinions and each one is counted separately. It is designed for group brainstorming and discussion and then you write down the best responses that the group comes up with for each question discussed. That's the whole point of doing it in a game format, rather than trying to make people fill out surveys. It's supposed to be social and fun.

I don't think having someone participate in more than one group is a bad thing. In fact, my guess would be that they would encourage people who play it with one group to put together more groups of different people and play it with them and help guide them through the process.

I definitely agree that group "cross-pollinization" might actually be a good thing for something like this. Good ideas might pick up steam that way.

Tuesday and Wednesday are definitely out for me, and the game needs to be turned in by next Friday to the development office.

I'm going to say Founder's on Monday, say 5:15 or 5:30?

I definitely agree that group "cross-pollinization" might actually be a good thing for something like this. Good ideas might pick up steam that way.

Tuesday and Wednesday are definitely out for me, and the game needs to be turned in by next Friday to the development office.

I'm going to say Founder's on Monday, say 5:15 or 5:30?

Archived