Green Master Plan for Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

How many UP members attended this forum last night as I did? I hadn't met for the first one in June, but I don't think it really mattered. On the whole, I think Suzanne's doing a great job leading this effort. The only complaint I would have is regarding the use of time; in the 2 hours allotted for this gathering, I would say the breakout groups had less than a half hour to actually discuss the issues and help set priorites.

I sat in on the Grand River discussions, specifically about improving access and the potential kayak/whitewater run. I'm here to say that was by far the most talked about aspect! As long as there's room to maintain good fishing by keeping some or most of the 6th St dam, it seems this could be a win-win.

I am little curious about the whitewater course, and how in depth this was discussed. I think it would be a wonderful idea, and have been to the South Bend version multiple times to play around with my kayak on it. I am fairly skeptical that we have enough elevation change here in G.R downtown to create anything quite like that. If a dam was removed, there may be enough for a couple of waves and holes, but that seems like the limit to me, unless the course was quite long. East race in South Bend is more than 1/3 mile long, and that allows them to put rafts on it. That brings in most of the people.

Where are they talking about doing this where we would have that much length or drop?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW a little outside GR but on Fulton, M-21, over the Grand River, that bridge is scheduled to be rebuilt. As a result MDot and others in the area were able to secure funding for 3/4 of a million of a 1.2 million bike and pedistrean 12 foot path on one side I presume of the new bridge. This comes from MLive. :yahoo:

I am little curious about the whitewater course, and how in depth this was discussed. I think it would be a wonderful idea, and have been to the South Bend version multiple times to play around with my kayak on it. I am fairly skeptical that we have enough elevation change here in G.R downtown to create anything quite like that. If a dam was removed, there may be enough for a couple of waves and holes, but that seems like the limit to me, unless the course was quite long. East race in South Bend is more than 1/3 mile long, and that allows them to put rafts on it. That brings in most of the people.

Where are they talking about doing this where we would have that much length or drop?

We talked in terms of compromising activities: a portion of the dam would remain - supporting the good fishing opportunities - so the whitewater course could take advantage of the entire 8 feet of fall. The gradient and resultant length would have to be studied, but my understanding is South Bend has less fall. Our course would probably extend past the JW Marriott.

Archived