May Town Center

smeagolsfree

I'd have to say the writer of the Tennessean article is clearly against the May Town Center project. You can quibble about the way the poll data is interpreted, but by every measure the poll shows a majority of Nashville residents in favor of the development.

I'd have to say the writer of the Tennessean article is clearly against the May Town Center project. You can quibble about the way the poll data is interpreted, but by every measure the poll shows a majority of Nashville residents in favor of the development.

Actually.. 50% approval is not a majority.. 51% would be. But its definitely not a 'large majority'.

The summary of the poll that Tony released is obviously swayed in one direction. Most of the questions in the poll are crafted just right so they can be interpreted a certain way. If you look at the individual questions from this link, you can see this.

I think Michael Cass does a good job of giving us the real truth here.. even with his own opinion on the topic. And I myself am not really for or against the project at this point.. i'm still kinda stuck in between.. unsure of which way I would vote.

hmmm.. odd.

The rehearing request was scheduled to be discussed at Thursday's Planning Commission meeting. The developer of May Town Center withdrew that request minutes before the meeting started.

Representatives of the developer would not discuss the withdrawal of their request after the meeting.

If developers want to bring back the request, they must do so within 60 days.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090724...st+for+hearing+

Note that an on-line commentor claims to have been told by Giantarra personally that the partners may be moving MTC to Wilson County. Probably just BS, but then again...

Look at page 4 of the staff report recommending approval of May Town: http://www.nashville.gov/mpc/pdfs/meetings/2009/090625sr.pdf. The projected growth through 2035 of the entire MSA, an additional 900,000 people, is heavily to the east and southeast of Davidson, according to the population projection map. While Bells Bend will remain on the far west edge of over two million people, rural west Wilson will be pretty damn close to the geocenter of the population by that time. The airport would be easier to access from there as well. A May Town within the I-40, I-840 and Percy Priest Lake triangle would be centrally located (by 2035), have excellent connectivity to other growth areas and have ample room to grow.

Given that all the tens of millions of dollars in gifts/demands made for allowing an MTC in Davidson has dwarfed the actual land purchase in the Bend, I can believe that Jack May might conclude it would be cheaper to start over in a county that would want to have his development and is already expecting that growth, such as Wilson. Even opponents have said "good plan, wrong location." It would be quite ironic that the very report written for the planning commission in support of MTC ended up leading the applicants away from Nashville to a location more advantageous for a 2031 completion date.

This links to a July 23 letter from Giantarra to the Metro Planning Commission requesting their agenda item be deferred due to the absence of two commissioners and Rick Bernhardt from Thursday's meeting. He's asking 14 days notice that this will be on the agenda. This seems to explain the sudden request.

http://www.nashville.gov/mpc/pdfs/subarea3..._Ltr_072309.pdf

I still like the Wilson Co. relocation scuttlebutt, though.

Someone's already organizing opposition to "maytowning" the fairgrounds:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17677922/TN-State-Fairgrounds

Whocouldanode?

Goodness, the NIMBYism in this town! At least a May Town on the fairgrounds would get rid of the racing noise, which seems to be a big complaint. And who is talking about taking people's homes?

That's kind of a shame. Well I guess I have to look at it as the region will benefit. I don't understand why developers have to start from scratch and keep the sprawl going. I still think HHM and area are perfect for a development like this. The only major obstacle I would see would be buying the mall if it were to be used, existing structure, as part of the plan. There is also a good bit of land in the Crossings if I remember correctly which would be nice for expansion or a mini-MTC. Plus, there is close access to two airports (BNA and Smyrna), the lake (PPL), I-24, I-840 is not too far, close proximity to Wilson, Rutherford, and Williamson Co., and it sits very close to the railroad tracks which would be a huge plus if the leg of the STAR ran the Southeast route. I know the area gets a bad rap, but I really don't think it is that bad. Maybe it is because I grew up in and around the area, but I think people just don't go there because they heard it was "dangerous." It's like the Swine Flu, it gets blown way out of proportion. It just needs a little reinvestment and the place could be booming. I was at Logan's near 100 Oaks tonight and still very impressed with the new look of the area. Bravo, Vanderbilt. If only someone would take the time for HHM, Bellevue, and other deteriorating areas (Rivergate). I believe traditional 80's and 90's malls are becoming extinct but could thrive if some creative thinking was put into them. Anyone have Tony's email? Maybe I could run it by him and at least make myself feel better by trying.

Is this true? Interesting, if so.. didn't realize that was the intention. The Scene puts a different spin on it, for sure.

in a surprise maneuver two weeks ago, the project's backers requested another hearing, then withdrew at the last minute, thereby gaining 60 days to reapply for a key zoning change-a tactic that could make his $4 billion second downtown a reality.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/2009-08-06/n...g-up-in-the-air

Is this true? Interesting, if so.. didn't realize that was the intention. The Scene puts a different spin on it, for sure.

I don't know if anyone at the Scene knows their true intentions, but the MTC team seems to be familiar enough with the process that this is a reasonable conclusion.

I'm still intrigued with the Wilson County rumor. Don't be surprised to see TG, if he gets his second chance, walk in with two additional plans, one for a subdivision in Bells Bend laid out per current zoning and another plan showing May Town in Wilson Co., and say to the commission members,"Choose." Upzoning is the essence of this decision. Not downtown competition. Not loss of farmland. Not bridges, which have a separate process to navigate.

BTW, congrats on your 1000th post!

I don't know if anyone at the Scene knows their true intentions, but the MTC team seems to be familiar enough with the process that this is a reasonable conclusion.

I'm still intrigued with the Wilson County rumor. Don't be surprised to see TG, if he gets his second chance, walk in with two additional plans, one for a subdivision in Bells Bend laid out per current zoning and another plan showing May Town in Wilson Co., and say to the commission members,"Choose." Upzoning is the essence of this decision. Not downtown competition. Not loss of farmland. Not bridges, which have a separate process to navigate.

BTW, congrats on your 1000th post!

Oh wow, thanks for pointing that out.. :) Do I talk too much, or have I just been here a long time.. lol.

Anywayz.. that would definitely be interesting to see Tony G walk in with two plans like that.. seems like he would be the one to do something along those lines. I'm not sure yet what the win, win is on this.. if there is one at all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Speaking of TG.. he withdrew the request for rehearing the rezoning of Maytown.. 2 days before it was scheduled to be decided on..

http://blogs.tennessean.com/politics/2009/...earing-request/

One sentence letter to Planning Dept says..

In light of the positions being taken by Metro Legal, applicant has been left with no reasonable alternative but to withdraw its request for rehearing.

http://www.tennessean.com/assets/pdf/DN143911107.PDF

• 1 year later...

A "May Town-type" development is in the works for Donelson already...north of I-40 between Donelson Pike and Stewarts Ferry Pike. I am in full support of that project (and I live VERY nearby) AND I support the May Town project in Bells Bend also. Well planned and executed, both these projects can contribute to the form and function of our community.

With all due respect, as long as Channel 4 is reporting this, I don't put much stock in it or any local television news. I'll wait for William Williams, Richard Lawson, Nate Rau, Grant Hammond, or someone else with more credentials to write about this. I trust the print media in Nashville a little more. Sometimes local television news gets a bit sensationalistic because this project was so controvertial. I'll wait for Jack May to release a full press release. Maybe he could revitalize his Belle Meade Plaza while he is at it too!

For the record, I am against any projects of this type outside of the CBD until we get all the infill we need in the urban core inside the interstate loop done first.

BR86

From the Tennessean:

May Town proposal for Bells Bend returns in scaled-back form

Developer revives previously rejected Bells Bend proposal

BY MICHAEL CASS • THE TENNESSEAN • NOVEMBER 16, 2010

I say stick this and the new office park both in Donelson. No need to destroy land when there are plenty of other options and places.

A "May Town-type" development is in the works for Donelson already...north of I-40 between Donelson Pike and Stewarts Ferry Pike. I am in full support of that project (and I live VERY nearby) AND I support the May Town project in Bells Bend also. Well planned and executed, both these projects can contribute to the form and function of our community.

Any idea what type of tenants the development in Donelson will have? Will it likely have stores found in malls and be an open-air lifestyle center to serve residents east of Nashville and in Donelson/Hermitage? Right now it seems the only Nashville area malls with much to offer are the Mall at Green Hills and Cool Springs Galleria. Hickory Hollow Mall is dead and I hear RiverGate Mall is on the downfall although I never go there. Could it perhaps have a department store or instead have big-box retailers?

I agree with you BR86. Infrastrure is already in place, such as roads, power, water, and sewer. Some may need to be rerouted, but I think it would be easier than expanding all the services to that area. I just don't get why these areas are not pulled to the top of anyone's list of property for a developement.

Archived