May Town Center

smeagolsfree

OH my - not the point. While I have every appreciation for the stats; as a society we must vigilantly protect American farmland even potential farmland. Everything we do that eliminates petroleum products (gasoline in trucks) from adding to the prices of food and other products is a good thing. Why is this so hard to understand. I am guilty of giving over to convenience ~ everyone is; my personal commitment is to the generations to come, as best I can with the resources I have. Build on existing abandoned concrete and asphalt first. Make what you have work and be a better steward to it... **sigh**

Actually I think the stats prove that we HAVE been preserving farmland, and that this development is much more positive than other possibilities. Pay close attention to the amount of green space that this development will keep open. Let's keep a little perspective here... a few years ago, this site could have become a landfill. And almost as bad - it could have become another cookie-cutter residential neighborhood. And the money that this can potentially plug into the economy, and thusly metro, a whole lot of good can come of that - including protecting *other* land for special purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

Richard had an article in the City Paper this morning. Sorry about the delay getting this posted, I figured someone would have done it by now. There are a lot of interesting comments with the article as well.

Looks as if both side are lining up their generals for he long haul either to make this happen or keep it from happening.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=59262

The plans for the Bells Bend park are 'great' and I have used the walking trail along the river bank. The new construction in the park along OHB shows improvement that will enhance the parks' programs. I have seen deer and hawks and an eagle overhead. I understand educational programs are planned for the future.

All of this is what our community needs, but I do not want to limit the potential for the park or for the number of visitors that could possibly come. The nearly five hundred acres proposed for the MTC is a small percentage of the possible total acreage of the park when including the land offered by the May family.

"If you build it they will come," idea would apply here if a more friendly and easy access to the area was available. Park visitor totals would multiply if the park was more accessible!

As far as the park goes, Metro needs to do a lot of work on the trails there. They are not very well marked as I got myself royally turned around last time I was there. :wacko:

I am still undecided about May Center. At first I was all for it, but I have had to back off and take a fresh look. There will be a huge environmental impact on the area and that is my real concern. My second concern is building another DT five miles out from the current DT. Thirdly is the Native American burial grounds that may be in the area. I wish we could put this on the East Bank or at the Neuhof location. Problem is the May family does not own either area!

Something I found interesting about the whole thing is that the other day I was in a little briefing about Cresent Resources about what they do, who they are, etc. For those of you who don't know, Cresent Resources essentially developed all of the East side of Cool Springs and basicly every office building you can credit to them. How that relates to MTC is, I asked them what they planned to do now because within five years CS will be out of availible land and I asked them where they plan to go. Their response is that they plan to go to MTC and develop that. I was amazed with that! These are the people that attracted Nissan! So, apparently they're already planning on approval and are starting to think where they can get in to build office in there.

EDIT - Here's an image to show how much they did.

They did all the office buildings in dark blue, yellow, the orange, all the stuff down to McEwen in this piture, and they now own the Primus building.

vicinity.jpg

They have this site, and some land across McEwen and then they're done.

siteplan.jpg

Something I found interesting about the whole thing is that the other day I was in a little briefing about Cresent Resources about what they do, who they are, etc. For those of you who don't know, Cresent Resources essentially developed all of the East side of Cool Springs and basicly every office building you can credit to them. How that relates to MTC is, I asked them what they planned to do now because within five years CS will be out of availible land and I asked them where they plan to go. Their response is that they plan to go to MTC and develop that. I was amazed with that! These are the people that attracted Nissan! So, apparently they're already planning on approval and are starting to think where they can get in to build office in there.

WoW, that sounds almost cocky like it is a done deal. This is a strong and powerful group the May family is assembling.

WoW, that sounds almost cocky like it is a done deal. This is a strong and powerful group the May family is assembling.

There is no question, this development is a big deal for Nashville. It makes sense that the city will help push this project forward because this is the kind of project the city needs to land the next "Nissan corporate relocation" prize rather than have it go to another county. The May family really has assembled a strong team as well. So, despite strong opposition, I think there's a good chance this thing will get developed.

The Article in this morning's Nashville City Paper is a very good recap. FRANKTOWN ~ I would bet my meager paycheck that you are spot on. Smeagol - "that sounds almost cocky like it is a done deal," ~ Tony G. Did not flinch. And when the folks out there found out that the developer has said that the first bridge is only bridge one that another will be needed, the group was so shocked that they could not respond. Hijacked is a more than accurate description. The New very young very polite very well spoken councilman was there. He tried to be centered, calm, consensus building; however I think he might have had an awakening -- not and epiphany -- just an awakening into the harsh realities of public SERVICE. Not one person that is even slightly pro development denied that OHB would be destroyed by the truck traffic of construction. The Charlotte Park Neighborhood Association President was there and planning did not flinch when she asked what kind of infrastructure weight from traffic would be put on Hillwood, West Meade, Charlotte, Charlotte Park, Beacon Square and more... Planning pulled a first class, Oceans 11, Pedro Garcia (former Dir. of Schools who ran before he was fired), heist of the hearts and souls of the Scottsboro Community from Beman Park to Bells Bend. It was appalling.

Note - Tony G is approaching landowners in the bend and paying WAY MORE than top dollar for acreage. Through the tears of residents. this information was submitted.

Question: does any one have access to the state geology survey done in that area years ago when there was a proposed landfill?

Hankster: I have seen the Scottsboro Community dig in before. Remember: Government of, for, and by the people. Not one official document has yet been filed to start this process. Add to the nuances that the are clear cutting and surveying on the interstate easement at Thunderbird Drive, and there is a zoning change sign up in front of the Waffle House where Cabot (? does it change names?) meets Charlotte just a block or so east of Walmart.

As to the professional opinion of the young women representing Metro Planning - those that do not know their history are doomed to repeat it. They could not even present a conversation argument regarding economic impact. Many of the things they said hurt their credibility.

Here is the article in question from the City Paper this morning. Thanks for your input wrdbrn. I really appreciate your level headiness on this matter. Many people get angry and carried away with emotion like at the meetings. I am so glad it is not an issue here.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=59286

I like Tony G. and many most all of the projects he has been involved with, but in this case he may be in for a big fight. I think he has a great heart, and may not understand the residents in this area. The May family I do not know anything about and it seems to me that they have hired a lot of folks to do the dirty work here. This is going to be a long drawn out issue taking years to work out.

I do agree that the land in question will be developed at some point in time. The question is how will it be developed? I like the idea of saving a lot of the land as a park, but there has to be a middle ground somewhere. That issue is still to be decided. Metro in many cases goes with their pocket books on issues and most folks in other parts of the county that feel they are not involved because its not in their back yard will simply not care.

Thanks Smeag! I don't think that ever in my life I have been referred to as level headed. Guided Missile ... many many times. Don't think for one minute that I have not yelled at everything in my kitchen! My dishes may never be this clean again! Frankly, I could not resist calling the girls from planning on their facts when they said Ashland City would not impact MTC. I had census projections and Household incomes within 5 minutes and let them know it! And the minute I get my hands on what I am looking for... My reputation as a guided missile will be safe... :lol: ... sigh I suppose I should work on occasionally being more level headed.

I'll make this suggestion again. Since neither the utility property nor Bells Bend Park are going to be developed, and since the May properties are proposed to be developed in a way incongruous with the Bells Bend/Scottsboro neighborhood, why don't the city planners simply redefine the neighborhood plan as being north of the park and the May property? That way, the neighborhood can concentrate on developments north of the park and not be so distracted/divided by the May Town Center proposal. Everything south of the park and the ridges should be part of West Nashville, where MTC will have the most impact, assuming Old Hickory Boulevard is rerouted to a different part of the river but does not connect.

I sent an e-mail to planning with this suggestion. It is not one they are considering at this time. However, now that BOTH sides of the river are involved (as they should be), I think it is time for Planning to seriously consider placing the south lobe of the bend into West Nashville for planning purposes. Otherwise, they have put thimselves into a political vise, getting pressure from both neighborhoods.

Here is the article in question from the City Paper this morning. Thanks for your input wrdbrn. I really appreciate your level headiness on this matter. Many people get angry and carried away with emotion like at the meetings. I am so glad it is not an issue here.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=59286

I like Tony G. and many most all of the projects he has been involved with, but in this case he may be in for a big fight. I think he has a great heart, and may not understand the residents in this area. The May family I do not know anything about and it seems to me that they have hired a lot of folks to do the dirty work here. This is going to be a long drawn out issue taking years to work out.

I do agree that the land in question will be developed at some point in time. The question is how will it be developed? I like the idea of saving a lot of the land as a park, but there has to be a middle ground somewhere. That issue is still to be decided. Metro in many cases goes with their pocket books on issues and most folks in other parts of the county that feel they are not involved because its not in their back yard will simply not care.

I wish I could have gone to the meeting. I'm on "vacation" at the moment, which means I'm dong renovation work around the condo. Wrdbrn reminds me of my mother fighting the construction of a high school football stadium literally 50 yards from their house in Madison, Ala., Huntsville suburb. They'd built a HS near a nice neighborhood with the promise of no stadium... Well guess what? They tried. My mother was hell on wheels. Stadium didn't get built. They don't live their anymore. Moved about 45 minutes away. But if the issue rears up again my mother still makes calls and writes letters to the Huntsville newspaper.

WrdBrn, it seems you have recovered(some) from your earlier writing.(on the CP) I again apologize for others comments from yesterday. I do like more of the dialogue that comes out after each meeting occurs.

Organizers on both sides have lined up their "big guns" for this debate. It should not come down to who can yell the loudest and who can get the biggest name backing.

My constaint request has been to talk and bring new information to the table. If not now discussion will include the area of Centnnial Blvd. and along Ashland City Highway. This discussion is just beginning and isn't it nice to see how each of you has added to the information shared. I am glad to read more from RL who can be an insider for information.

Did each of you get the handouts available at last nights meeting. The picures give an image of a well planned project from the beginning and planning's suggestions seem to fit what MTC has in mind.

I wish I could have gone to the meeting. I'm on "vacation" at the moment, which means I'm dong renovation work around the condo. Wrdbrn reminds me of my mother fighting the construction of a high school football stadium literally 50 yards from their house in Madison, Ala., Huntsville suburb. They'd built a HS near a nice neighborhood with the promise of no stadium... Well guess what? They tried. My mother was hell on wheels. Stadium didn't get built. They don't live their anymore. Moved about 45 minutes away. But if the issue rears up again my mother still makes calls and writes letters to the Huntsville newspaper.

Ok guys - 2 nice things in one day.  Level Headed and compared to RL's mom.. I am genuinely flattered. :blush: However a level headed mom who knows the right thing for a community may be the single one most powerful political force on the planet

We as a group have a track record that is undeniable; If you get us in group - 'Katie bar the door' as some say.... (by the way there are actually a considerable group of us working to stop MTC.... )

The Bend is the wrong place for this development.  Don't think for one minute I have wavered.  In theory I think that Tony's "concept plan" has a lot of merit. They should bulldoze the Bellevue Mall ... well from there traveling..; i think south and get walgreens and all that mess there. Protecting in the same way the the harpeth river and green spaces and then the little corporate developments that need "executive housing" could hob nob and PAY PROPERTY TAXES in williamson county or around the park... its one heck of a lot closer to 37205/Belle Meade, OH and the new PRIVATE HIGH SCHOOL **rolls eyes** (who by the way loose at latin, math, moot court, and a few other interesting academic competitions to plain old metro schools at a very consistent rate...) One fine day we are going to need land to grow crops on, they already have a new heard of 500 cattle on the Bend.., and when we have chewed it up ... well frankly I dont want my name to be on the roll call of the apathetic nor the live for today and leave tomorrow to someone else.

Ok Committee work project 348.1.b is due before the end of my day (made that project number up up to make a point..)

Excuse me for the interruption but I have a question about the NEW herd of 500 cattle curretly graising in the Bend. I have not seen this herd ater driving OHB after picking up my paper at the box this morning. I did run into (not really) a flat bed unloading heavy equipment working on one of the projects in Bells Bend Park. On my return I also saw a Metro Bus stalled along the shoulder of OHB. Are the two related?

I do not, and have not, seen any proof that the Bend has been and will be a major source of food for our community. The proof is in the "not seeing it done, yet!" The cattle seen on the highway recently, being trucked out, was on the way to the sale barn.

We are trying to hang our hats on a 'dream' to believe that major food productions can be done in the Bend. Let's tell it like it is. It is easy to use this for reason to protect land from development, and to keep it as green space. These arguemnts I can accept are 'legit! '

Thanks, I will check this out. I really do want to be the best informed on this subject, MTC. I am directly effected by this I DO WANT if not need to be in on what someone else plans to do to my life.

I want to be in on want comes my way, only in that I want to have some say! Would a dump have fit where you live?

"Add to the nuances that the are clear cutting and surveying on the interstate easement at Thunderbird Drive, and there is a zoning change sign up in front of the Waffle House where Cabot (? does it change names?) meets Charlotte just a block or so east of Walmart."

I think the zoning sign relates to the H2O development. The tree cutting along the interstate is (IMO) to prevent large trees from falling into the interstate.

:offtopic: Grapa - Since Divorcing and moving from the Bellevue community in 1981ish (We bought a condo because Bellevue was going to be the next big thing - 1977) I have lived between 16th and Grand ~ and Woodmont/Belmont. My husband of the last 25 years and I raised our daughter ON 16th Avenue. When I say developers are not bringing corporate headquarters and solid jobs to down town ... I know of what I speak. I have never been near a potential landfill, although I fought to keep it out of the bend years ago, just I-440 Noise and view pollution, gun shots, what we affectionately call the DMZ zone in Nashville - where those that allegedly commit criminal acts pass through our community to get to those they whish to assault... , and those terrible inner-city schools that everyone are so afraid of! Propaganda is Propaganda. Developers do not give a whit about our city - either in Historic Preservation (OH! that was Tony G that tore down the Tennessee Theater) ... or in our Rural Heritage - ooops... Tony again. (My college daughter is majoring in concrete engineering ... it gets pretty interesting here during some evening discussions.)

"Add to the nuances that the are clear cutting and surveying on the interstate easement at Thunderbird Drive, and there is a zoning change sign up in front of the Waffle House where Cabot (? does it change names?) meets Charlotte just a block or so east of Walmart."

I think the zoning sign relates to the H2O development. The tree cutting along the interstate is (IMO) to prevent large trees from falling into the interstate.

..... I understand there are survey pegs along the easement..... never a good sign. I wonder If Concilman Buddy Baker knows that.

(My college daughter is majoring in concrete engineering ... it gets pretty interesting here during some evening discussions.)

I would bet you have some rather candid mother /daughter talks :rofl:

I like the fact that you are nto just a neighborhood activist, but a community activist. We do need more folks that are involved in the general well being of the entire city.

For better or worse, this project should nto be handed to any developer with out looking at all the different possible solutions for this area.

If this area is developed, What would wrdbrn like to see there if farming is not an option? What would you be open to as a citizen of the Bend area?

I just think it is important to look with in ourselves and see if there is compromise somewhere.

ME? (again with the flattery **rolls eyes**) The vision for the community of Scottsboro by her residents which they continually try to drive home ... tried to voice is SPOT ON! Development should naturally occur at the junction of Highway 12 and OHB. They have worked very hard on their Town Center concept. A number of years ago an area architect started a Native American Center and PowWow grounds design and concept - oh it was 15 years or so... I have forgotten more than I remember... It was a stunning design. I think that incorporating that in the area near that intersection would be a boon!

The idea of having local artisan shops, produce - etc shopping, the list is endless; music venue rather like Leipers Fork; The information from the visioning session at the Planning Commission's site is verbatim what is said at EVERY meeting! All of these things would bring increased property values, retail sales, and measured sustainable growth ... and adds steady money to the coffers without burdening the infrastructure... Who knows - growth may occur.

And then the girls from planning ... "in their professional opinion" along with Tony G have to try to sell that dropping a development of some 44000 folks at the bottom of the bend, accessed by a private driveway called a bridge which is in interstate spur in reality ... and not at all connected to the aforementioned community of Scottsboro... FIRST is "better". **sigh** I wonder what they would do with a hillside of virgin timber near Warner Parks? Or a busy residential corner on Belmont

In a way I can see the vision. This area could conceivably be an oasis in the middle of Nashville. Sort of a down home country feel with shops andmusic that is already happening at Lewis Country Store. What about campgrounds, horse back riding trails, to go with a Native American cultural center?

They could always just expand Belle Bend Park which would be fine with me and keep the entire area natural and make it a wildlife preserve. Then the May family would be known for the preservation of the land.

Archived