May Town Center

smeagolsfree

The only person who wants this and owns land in the area is Mr. May. I live close and do not want another 50k commuters and the added trash / waste dumped in the river.

Add this to the H2O development and that neck of the woods just got very crowded

The only person who wants this and owns land in the area is Mr. May. I live close and do not want another 50k commuters and the added trash / waste dumped in the river.

Add this to the H2O development and that neck of the woods just got very crowded

i don't believe that adding may town center is going to all of a sudden bring in an influx of trash/waste into the river. a better case must be given to make this a realistic concern. and while i can understand that you do not want another 50k commuters in your area, progress does have to make some sacrifices. in the grand scheme of things, this project can help nashville as a whole.

It has been interesting to watch some of those who comment on this subject switch back and forth on this matter, strongly against to moderately luke warm for. There are 'others of us' who live very near the land proposed for this project who are in support of Mr. May and his plans for Nashville.

It is only adding nonsense to the discussion when lame suggestions are thrown out to fuel a verbal fight that should only be receiving constructive conversation at this point. Those who have seen and read the proposal presented to us at the last meeting realize extra effort will be made and so all of the Scottsboro, Bells Bend and First District area will benefit.

There is another meeting the middle of this month and all are invited.

I think it's absurd to expect an area along the river just a few miles for the center of a metropolitan area of more than 1.5 Million residents, and an area that will surely exceed 2 Million residents by 2020, to never get crowded. Eventually, it's going to happen, period.

I think it's absurd to expect an area along the river just a few miles for the center of a metropolitan area of more than 1.5 Million residents, and an area that will surely exceed 2 Million residents by 2020, to never get crowded. Eventually, it's going to happen, period.

There is a lot of pressure to expand to the wide-open, one lot spaces near downtown. All you need is a new bridge or levee (Metro-Center). The HG Hill property developed overnight once the owner died.

That is the point this area does not have to be developed, there are many other areas of town underutilized. Why not keep ONE area of a city rural? 75% of produce that Nashville consumed was grown/raised in this area, now we import from overseas (check your veggies, not all are USA grown)

Why not use an area to support the arg needs of a city?

Why not keep ONE area of a city rural?

there is no such thing as a rural area in a city. rural areas exist outside of the city. i understand the point you are trying to make, but i feel it could be better used through the proposal that has been made with may town center. if you use the fact of locally grown veggies being a positive for this city, would that be better than the tax money that will come from the new development?

Agreed, this place is 5 miles from the city center. Sorry about the luck of the people in Bells Bend, but you're the final frontier in Davidson County, and it makes too much sense NOT to happen.

They did it to Bellevue, they did it to Antioch, they did it to Hermitage, and all of those are much further from the center of town than Bells Bend is. I'm amazed it took this long!!!

Agreed, this place is 5 miles from the city center. Sorry about the luck of the people in Bells Bend, but you're the final frontier in Davidson County, and it makes too much sense NOT to happen.

They did it to Bellevue, they did it to Antioch, they did it to Hermitage, and all of those are much further from the center of town than Bells Bend is. I'm amazed it took this long!!!

That's a good point, but raises the question of what happens to existing retail in the city core? (and paints perhaps a negative portrait for the furture as look at bellevue and antioch now) I doubt they're going to have anything unique there that isn't already served by Nashville West, Rivergate, etc., where are the people going to come from? and where will they stop shopping when and if they go?

The big box, mid market retail in this city is semi saturated as it is, do we need to saturate it further?

That's a good point, but raises the question of what happens to existing retail in the city core? (and paints perhaps a negative portrait for the furture as look at bellevue and antioch now) I doubt they're going to have anything unique there that isn't already served by Nashville West, Rivergate, etc., where are the people going to come from? and where will they stop shopping when and if they go?

The big box, mid market retail in this city is semi saturated as it is, do we need to saturate it further?

Bells Bend is just space for a portion of future growth. Nothing will be available for several years, and once it gets started the build-out will take a generation to complete the master plan. Just look at the Nashville MSA as it was a generation ago to see what kind of growth we're in for. Despite the emergence of Cool Springs, or more likely because of it, downtown Nashville is much better now than 25 years ago.

there is no such thing as a rural area in a city. rural areas exist outside of the city. i understand the point you are trying to make, but i feel it could be better used through the proposal that has been made with may town center. if you use the fact of locally grown veggies being a positive for this city, would that be better than the tax money that will come from the new development?

The taxes raised are all based on MTC figures. How many millions will the Govt have to kick in for a private development (Bridge, interstructure, etc) I think the 100M the Govt will be paying maybe better spent elsewhere.

Why not reclaim 4th & Layfette area of downtown - remove the crime and build MTC there. Metro Center is another.

www.bellsbend.org

Why do people think more buildings is the answer?

The taxes raised are all based on MTC figures. How many millions will the Govt have to kick in for a private development (Bridge, interstructure, etc) I think the 100M the Govt will be paying maybe better spent elsewhere.

Why not reclaim 4th & Layfette area of downtown - remove the crime and build MTC there. Metro Center is another.

www.bellsbend.org

Why do people think more buildings is the answer?

these areas don't really fit the requirement of may town center. the site they have it planned on now would not involve demolition of existing buildings and moving of existing companies. and how does one just simply "remove the crime?". i think we have a police chief that would be thrilled to have access to that information. building here allows the developer to design the whole area as they like, incorporating many different features in it that might be cost prohibitive in other areas (such as metro center and 4th and layfette. they can design it to be more user friendly, thus more attractive to companies wanting to move. in a case like this more buildings IS the answer. and to respond to the government having to spend money on the project. you have to spend money to make money. the goal should be long term. how much money is bells bend making the government right now?

these areas don't really fit the requirement of may town center. the site they have it planned on now would not involve demolition of existing buildings and moving of existing companies. and how does one just simply "remove the crime?". i think we have a police chief that would be thrilled to have access to that information. building here allows the developer to design the whole area as they like, incorporating many different features in it that might be cost prohibitive in other areas (such as metro center and 4th and layfette. they can design it to be more user friendly, thus more attractive to companies wanting to move. in a case like this more buildings IS the answer. and to respond to the government having to spend money on the project. you have to spend money to make money. the goal should be long term. how much money is bells bend making the government right now?

Is making money the real and only point to all of this?

when talking about a growing city that relies on tax revenues to help provide those things that we consider quality of life, yes. a city this size with the amount of people that are moving here cannot support the infrastructure based solely on the fact that we have open greenspace. is money evil? yes, but it is a necessary evil when it comes to a city this size. also, keep in mind that this was proposed by a developer. they are in a business who's main goal is to make money(then again, what business isn't?). so in that aspect, yes it is about the money.

Making money is the point of virtually every project that is of topic on UP. None of the developments we're geeking on would happen without the desire for profit by developers, the financial industry, and future tenants.

The truth is, one day all of the space in MTC will be needed. If the MTC project were developed as a half-dozen smaller developments and placed on the edges of the MSA where land is cheap and plentiful, they would each consume as much land as all of MTC (probably all having surface parking lots). They would face much less opposition, and would not have to "go green" to sell to the PTB. Eventually, even more residential and commercial development of the suburban kind would pop up around those developments, taking even more land.

Farmland is gone once taken by development no matter where that development happens. The proposed density and the site's abrupt geographical confines are what make Bells Bend development the better deal for Middle Tennessee.

Without MTC, corporate HQ locations have one less choice in Davidson. Without MTC, there still won't be organic farming on that land unless as a temporary income generator while the next development schemes are debated. Without MTC, when the state connects Old Hickory Boulevard by bridge, agriculture will be priced out of Bells Bend anyway.

The central point is compromise. The land owners have changed their master plan and bridge location to address residents' concerns. There is room for both buildings and 900 acres for agricultural opportunity. The 800 homes in the Zeitlin compromise may prove to have been the Bend's best deal. The 900 undeveloped acres in the May proposal might prove to be agriculture's best deal. Anyone holding out for the development behind door number three?

Making money is the point of virtually every project that is of topic on UP. None of the developments we're geeking on would happen without the desire for profit by developers, the financial industry, and future tenants.

The truth is, one day all of the space in MTC will be needed. If the MTC project were developed as a half-dozen smaller developments and placed on the edges of the MSA where land is cheap and plentiful, they would each consume as much land as all of MTC (probably all having surface parking lots). They would face much less opposition, and would not have to "go green" to sell to the PTB. Eventually, even more residential and commercial development of the suburban kind would pop up around those developments, taking even more land.

Farmland is gone once taken by development no matter where that development happens. The proposed density and the site's abrupt geographical confines are what make Bells Bend development the better deal for Middle Tennessee.

Without MTC, corporate HQ locations have one less choice in Davidson. Without MTC, there still won't be organic farming on that land unless as a temporary income generator while the next development schemes are debated. Without MTC, when the state connects Old Hickory Boulevard by bridge, agriculture will be priced out of Bells Bend anyway.

The central point is compromise. The land owners have changed their master plan and bridge location to address residents' concerns. There is room for both buildings and 900 acres for agricultural opportunity. The 800 homes in the Zeitlin compromise may prove to have been the Bend's best deal. The 900 undeveloped acres in the May proposal might prove to be agriculture's best deal. Anyone holding out for the development behind door number three?

You have made the point I tried to make earlier that was not understood by some on this forum. I agree with you totally that May Town Center will result is less farmland consumed as the city grows. This is a win-win for the city. The city gets businesses that would otherwise locate out in other counties, and less suburban sprawl will occur. Why? Because the very existence of May Town Center and its 5,000,000 Sq Ft of office space will cause many potential surburban office complexes not to be built at all. It's supply and demand. If the supply is in Nashville, businesses will go there. This development is much denser than any I've seen in the suburbs. We lose hundreds of acres of farmland here versus thousands if developed out in the surrounding counties. Traffic will be less because commuting distances for most will be shorter.

Who just saw yesterdays news bridgestones 700 jobs are going to a 41 acre site in Rutherford co or stay in Ohio. Davidsons co site was rejected. 700 jobs averaging 60k, about 10 million in yearly taxes lost by Davidson co. Last year 20 million when Nissan located to Williamson co. Nashville did not have a campus to show Nissan. As much as i love the Fairgrounds this is not where corporation want to relocate. The purpose of May center is to provide campuses for corporation. If we do not have maycenter we will continue to lose our tax base to all the surrounding counties. Any corporation that wants an urban building will go to downtown Nashville. Notice how many have come vs the 9 million square feet of corporate offices that have happened in the last 10 years.in Williamson co.(which is urban sprawl and the destruction of true farm land. I notice that there are hundred of properties of 10 to 100 acres in bells bend, but only 2 or 3 farms. If all the people in the Bells Bend area are so into organic farming why are they not doing it on the other thousands of acres out there that is not maycenter. Someone else already posted that this farming issue is a smoke screen to oppose.....not in my back yard.

Hello! :shades: I have been wading through an MNPS issues for the last couple of months. Can someone answer a questions or 2? Please. 1. Has the Corps of Engineers or the Highway Departments approved a bridge site. 2. Have the geologic surveys of the sink holes etc that seem to be right smack dab in the middle of the project (a big part of why other things of this size have gone away) been presented? I am still reading. And yes rolling my eyes at the urban sprawl-antistewardship-we just have to grow up to mirror Atlanta-Well the rest of the country is doing it static that i read.

I think he means, is this growth really necessary?

if that is what they meant, then yes. to support our current population, and the population of the future, we must do things in able to support it. may town center provides help in that area by providing new jobs and taxable monies to be used for the greater good of the city. we cannot simply tell people that "we don't want you here, we'd rather have a large field." it's not that we are trying to keep up with other cities, it's that we're trying to keep up with ourself. a city that grows (especially inside the city limits) is largely a sign of a healthy city. once something becomes really good, more and more people want it. that's what nashville has become.

if that is what they meant, then yes. to support our current population, and the population of the future, we must do things in able to support it. may town center provides help in that area by providing new jobs and taxable monies to be used for the greater good of the city. we cannot simply tell people that "we don't want you here, we'd rather have a large field." it's not that we are trying to keep up with other cities, it's that we're trying to keep up with ourself. a city that grows (especially inside the city limits) is largely a sign of a healthy city. once something becomes really good, more and more people want it. that's what nashville has become.

Another way of putting it is this. Projections are that Nashville will add another 400,000 residents between now and 2020. I personally think the projection may even be a little low. Do we want the majority of these new residents to move into the surrounding counties contributing to considerable more sprawl and commuting nightmares or do we want to promote development of vast amounts of still undeveloped acreage in Davidson County, minimizing the future sprawl and commuting congestion? The May Town Center project will do the latter. If we do not promote development in Davidson County with projects such as this, we are doomed to see the majority of development outside Davidson's Counties boundaries.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived