Large waterfront mixed use project planned

TLT

The New Hanover County Planning Board unanimously approved a mixed use project planned on the waterfront north of the battleship.

The planning board was very enthusiastic about the project, which showed six building up to nine floors tall which would contain 222 condos, retail shops, and offices. The site would also build a hotel at a later date. A marina is planned with 55 wet slips and 200 stacked dry slips. The project would also have a boardwalk, open to the public, that would mirror the river walk on the east side of the river. This is the third mixed use project in the planning stages for downtown, two on the west bank and one on the east bank near the new convention center, in the works in the last six months.

When sketches and renderings become available I will post them here.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the second west bank development you're talking about is the Muddy Waters proposal from 2006, which (at last check) would be taller, and located south of the battleship. Wonder what happened / is happening with that one?

Supposedly, the biggest reason there is not already development on the opposite shore of the river is that there is no water or sewer line (or whatever line there is, has extremely limited capacity.) A huge development is required in order to make it economical to extend utilities over there.

Supposedly, the biggest reason there is not already development on the opposite shore of the river is that there is no water or sewer line (or whatever line there is, has extremely limited capacity.) A huge development is required in order to make it economical to extend utilities over there.

I think the second west bank development you're talking about is the Muddy Waters proposal from 2006, which (at last check) would be taller, and located south of the battleship. Wonder what happened / is happening with that one?

Interesting map. It may not be the best idea, but there has been business' and light industry (maritime uses mostly, not the cleanest of industry) in this area for over a century, and that is what the county commissioners are trying to change. They very much want to clean up the west side of the river and try to get one step ahead of development they know will eventual happen. Buildings may be up to 230 feet in exchange for public access to the water, and grouping parking in the buildings footprint to leave more open space. The builder of the current proposal says none of his buildings will be that tall. It would be smart to have shops, condos and business located above their parking decks in case the area did flood. The county planning board and staff were very pleased about the proposal and passed it unanimously.No one appeared in opposition to the project during the public comment period.

It would be nice to see something other than dilapidated buildings across from downtown.

• 1 month later...

I did not think you could build a dog house on the west bank. It is so low and what kind of foundation would it take to support these buildings?

I have seen a lot of stones and rocks on the west side when I lived in the Wilmington area. I was told they came off sailing ships. They used the rocks for ballast coming here to the US.

I did not think you could build a dog house on the west bank. It is so low and what kind of foundation would it take to support these buildings?

I have seen a lot of stones and rocks on the west side when I lived in the Wilmington area. I was told they came off sailing ships. They used the rocks for ballast coming here to the US.

Archived