Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suburban george3

WFU announces Deacon Blvd. Development

8 posts in this topic

FOX8 had an piece this evening about WFU's intention to develop 67 acres on Deacon Blvd into a destinastion 'village' to attract both students and the community. More details should come towards the summer as developers are chosen and plans are drawn.

A university spokesman envisions residential, office, restaurants, and entertainment in this new 'village.' FOX8 even goes as far to say this will be something Winston-Salem hasn't yet seen..

Stay tuned for details! :thumbsup:

FOX8 News Article about WFU Development Plans on Deacon Blvd.

I really wish they'd include the shopping center with Wings-to-Go and Jimmy the Greek. that whole strip is such an eyesore on valuable land.

I like the sound of this! ;) "Something Winston-Salem hasn't seen before..."

I would love to see the city and WFU collaborate on this together and reduce the number of lanes on Deacon down to two. Though I'm not sure how WFU will make this a village since you have many service entrances for LJVM, the Annex, and BB&T (Groves) on Deacon. This will definitely be something to watch over the upcoming months!

Tabitha Thomas sounds like a real character. :rolleyes: It is going to be interesting to see how WFU interacts with small business owners on Deacon Boulevard and how they incorporate them into their new redevelopment for the area. It is also highly ironic that Ziggy's, formerly a huge anchor for this area, decided to move to downtown because of the lack of activity and 'boringness', if you will, on Deacon. Do you think they'll stay here?

This is a great idea. I hope it's a quaint college type village, which is something long missing at WFU (I also hope it does not compete with downtown).

9-6 update.

The temporary fix is actually pretty nice. It was a smart move to tear down some of those old restaurants.

4966869178_713b68f3ac_b.jpg

4966261667_f9d1e2ec12_b.jpg

4966868792_b1368214e7_b.jpg

4966264183_76117d8a9c_b.jpg

4966867888_87399d0de0_b.jpg

4966867410_eb09fbc5e0_b.jpg

4966262961_0fddce4676_b.jpg

4966866590_fd8d1d39ea_b.jpg

4966262249_d722d1eb64_b.jpg