I-81 Extension to Florida Coast

aboutmetro

Many, many in GA would like to see such an Interstate extension happen. There's much discussion whether the extension should go to resort areas in the panhandle area or to the FL Capital at Tallahasse. Either way, an extension of this lonely Interstate Spur is talked about ALOT in west and southwest GA. The suggestion to extend I-81 by co-locating with I-75 to north GA and then by building the in the area of what was the proposed western segment of the Atlanta Outer Perimiter and connecting with I-185 through Columbus, GA and extending that spur to Florida would give East Tennessea an alternative freeway to the Floridan Panhandle gulf coast. Read about it here...

I-81.jpg

See what East Tennesseans are saying...

Vote in the Columbus Forum...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

The Georgia DOT is holding regional meetings in Southwest Georgia to determine necessity, feasibility and desire for 'access' to Interstates. This area along with Southeast Alabama was like the land that the Interstates forgot. I would think that, since the very definition of an Interstate involves more than one state, Alabama and Florida would be brought into the discussion... Anyway, here's a link to the dedicated website. There will be a stakeholders meeting (presentation link) in Columbus, GA on April 15th. Other area meetings have already occured. Southwest Georgia Interstate Study website.

The study area map:

studyarea.jpg

Directions to the meeting place -

Let's see, gas is close to $3.50 a gallon currently, expected to possibly hit $4 by summer, and while it may fluctuate here and there, the long term trend is definately higher. I think spending hundreds of millions of dollars on an new Interstate for a mode of transportation that may or may not be economically viable in 10 years sounds like a great idea. Kind of along the lines of spending $1.2 Billion for a new airport terminal when there is a very decent chance there will be no airlines around to use it when it's completed.

It's about time we wake the f**k up and realize the more money we spend on perpetuating the status quo the less we will have to adress the coming energy crises. As James Howard Kunstler said, "America has squandered it's wealth on a living arrangement (surburbia, and car culture) that has no future."

As an Atlantan I would say no to the part of I-81 in metro Atlanta. That is nothing more than the western wall of the outer perimeter. Somehow someone thinks that they are smart enough to ease that one in on us. This will never fly. It will do nothing but spur an edge city out in east bumble...soon to be better known as the I-20/I-81 interchange. They can make the route up in Tennessee...they can make the route from Columbus south but I don't see how the ARC will sanction such a route in metro Atlanta.

Let's see, gas is close to $3.50 a gallon currently, expected to possibly hit $4 by summer, and while it may fluctuate here and there, the long term trend is definately higher. I think spending hundreds of millions of dollars on an new Interstate for a mode of transportation that may or may not be economically viable in 10 years sounds like a great idea. Kind of along the lines of spending $1.2 Billion for a new airport terminal when there is a very decent chance there will be no airlines around to use it when it's completed.

It's about time we wake the f**k up and realize the more money we spend on perpetuating the status quo the less we will have to adress the coming energy crises. As James Howard Kunstler said, "America has squandered it's wealth on a living arrangement (surburbia, and car culture) that has no future."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived