Rothbury Festival

GRDadof3

2263593887_905ef64989.jpg

New festival pulls in big music names

Posted by Dave Alexander {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Press News Service February 13, 2008 12:30PM

ROTHBURY -- One of the largest concert promoters in the world wants to put this southern Oceana County community on the entertainment and environmental map this summer.

Madison House Presents in conjunction with AEG Live announced ROTHBURY this morning -- a four-day "sustainable festival celebrating music, art and action." The Fourth of July weekend event at the Double JJ Resort will be headlined by the Dave Matthews Band on July 5.

ROTHBURY will feature up to 70 bands, including other headliners John Mayer and Phil Lesh & Friends Sunday night and Widespread Panic Friday night for the camp-in music and environmental festival that could attract up to 50,000 fans.

Madison House, a Boulder, Colo. promoter, expects 30,000 to 40,000 fans the first year in what is a multi-year lease of the 2,000-acre Double JJ Resort.

Read a lot more at the Press here

In case you don't know where Rothbury is

Rothbury Festival Site

Madison House Presents (Concert Promoter)

AEG Live

Double JJ Resort

It's right about now that I wish we had an amphitheater in Grand Rapids! This is a pretty big deal, and sounds like they've signed a multi-year lease to make this an annual event. :shades:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm planning on getting one of the early-bird tix myself...this is going to be a HUGE concert! Lollapalooza in Chicago is an annual event that I go to, and with lineups like this, I plan to add Rothbury to the calendar indefinitely.

If the successes of Bonnaroo and Coachella are any indication, Rothbury could be a great thing for many years to come...

2264188868_1a734efa4c_o.jpg

New festival pulls in big music names

Posted by Dave Alexander {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Press News Service February 13, 2008 12:30PM

ROTHBURY -- One of the largest concert promoters in the world wants to put this southern Oceana County community on the entertainment and environmental map this summer.

Madison House Presents in conjunction with AEG Live announced ROTHBURY this morning -- a four-day "sustainable festival celebrating music, art and action." The Fourth of July weekend event at the Double JJ Resort will be headlined by the Dave Matthews Band on July 5.

ROTHBURY will feature up to 70 bands, including other headliners John Mayer and Phil Lesh & Friends Sunday night and Widespread Panic Friday night for the camp-in music and environmental festival that could attract up to 50,000 fans.

Madison House, a Boulder, Colo. promoter, expects 30,000 to 40,000 fans the first year in what is a multi-year lease of the 2,000-acre Double JJ Resort.

Read a lot more at the Press here

In case you don't know where Rothbury is

Rothbury Festival Site

Madison House Presents (Concert Promoter)

AEG Live

Double JJ Resort

It's right about now that I wish we had an amphitheater in Grand Rapids! This is a pretty big deal, and sounds like they've signed a multi-year lease to make this an annual event. :shades:

I'm planning on getting one of the early-bird tix myself...this is going to be a HUGE concert! Lollapalooza in Chicago is an annual event that I go to, and with lineups like this, I plan to add Rothbury to the calendar indefinitely.

If the successes of Bonnaroo and Coachella are any indication, Rothbury could be a great thing for many years to come...

Wasn't Lallapolooza in West MI canceled a few years back because they didn't sell enough tickets? Hopefully Rothbury will pull people from all over the Midwest like they say they hope to, so it will actually take place. With those names, I'm sure it will.

Ugh, I cringe every time I hear about one of these silly "sustainable" festivals. 40,000 people driving 300 miles to some lawn in the middle of nowhere, 60+ bands with buses and a small fleet of semi-trucks full of gear...yeah, that seems real sustainable. But hey, they're creating "awareness", right? :sick:

Ugh, I cringe every time I hear about one of these silly "sustainable" festivals. 40,000 people driving 300 miles to some lawn in the middle of nowhere, 60+ bands with buses and a small fleet of semi-trucks full of gear...yeah, that seems real sustainable. But hey, they're creating "awareness", right? :sick:

I always laugh when these musicians get together to preach to the rest of us how to live our lives. How "we" need to conserve energy, how "we" need to go green, how captialism is evil etc....meanwhile they are the ones flying to these concerts in their private jets, using tons of electricity while performing and making tons of money at the same time. Very hypocritical in my opinion. Maybe instead of preaching to us they should be setting an example if these issues truly are what they believe in. They'll probably make things right buy purchasing some carbon offsets. Hopefully the Dave Mathews bus doesn't dump its septic system into any local waterways (talk about hypocrtical)!...end of rant!

They're buying carbon offsets for all of that stuff. :) And, for $3 added on to you can buy carbon offsets to offset your transportation, and for $7 added onto your ticket you can buy the carbon offsets and have the other $4 go towards purchasing solar energy to be used in some nearby local projects.

How, effective the carbon market is and offsets are, that's a whole other argument. But, I generally feel that it does make some difference.

I would be very impressed if they actually can pull off the zero waste and composting parts. That would take either a huge commitment by the hosting community (and their waste management crews) or a huge effort to transport the recyclable and compostable materials out of the area.

As for carbon offsets...I'm not sold. So I pay my $3. The festival would take a percentage of that to pay the people who receive, record, and prepare the outgoing payment, which would most likely go to a non-profit (but not no-fee or no-expense) company such as Carbonfund.org, who has payroll, rent, benefits, supplies, and other general expenses. Then, they pass along the funds (after covering their expenses) to Iowa, say, to build a wind turbine (actual project of theirs, by the way). Some of the money goes to the contractor, some to the municipality for permits and fees, some to the attorney, some to the union labor building the thing, some (in the form of pure profit) to the supplier of the materials for the turbine, 'cause they have to pay engineers and manufacturers.

I know, I know, that's how the economic engine churns. But let's be honest about it -- carbon offsetting is an economic tool. It's not "green." It's not, in the long run, "sustainable." There are too many spoons in the soup. It is, at the moment, a marketing word, used to make the environmentally conscious feel less guilty.

Economically and culturally, I like the idea of big music festivals finding a home in west Michigan. But that's all I see it as: a music festival. I hope it brings a few jobs, some cash, and some energy to the area.

:good:

LMAO! Probably the best South Park ever. Their drum circle in Wilcox Park is growing...

This lineup is pretty sweet, but $245?!? plus all their fees?!? Come on! That seems outragous, I wish all of these festivals were still about the music instead of the money. Why cant they charge woodstock prices ($8)? Even the first year of Bonnaroo was only about $100, which is reasonable. Needless to say some of the true fans of these bands most likely won't be able to afford it.

US31 and 96 are going to be fun to navigate that weekend, for Bonnaroo there is usually a 10 hour traffic jam.

I would be very impressed if they actually can pull off the zero waste and composting parts. That would take either a huge commitment by the hosting community (and their waste management crews) or a huge effort to transport the recyclable and compostable materials out of the area.

As for carbon offsets... a marketing word, used to make the environmentally conscious feel less guilty.

Economically and culturally, I like the idea of big music festivals finding a home in west Michigan. But that's all I see it as: a music festival. I hope it brings a few jobs, some cash, and some energy to the area.

Here's what Sinks has to blog about it:

Rothbury: Talk about chatter. I'm even getting phone calls from out-of-town relatives about this early July mega-concert pegged for an odd, out-of-the-way place -- the Double JJ Ranch north of Muskegon.

The lineup of more than five dozen acts is impressive -- from John Mayer, Dave Matthews Band, Widespread Panic and Phil Lesh and Friends to Modest Mouse, Of Montreal and Drive-By Truckers. (Fellow blogger Troy Reimink has a full list.)

But I'm left to wonder: A) How will this tiny, rural area handle festival traffic on two-lane roads up yonder? I've been to the Double JJ Ranch and it's easy for me to imagine back-40 gridlock; and B) Who can afford these three-day passes they are going to sell for $244.75 apiece? Let's hope they offer some cheaper, one-day options or most budget-conscious Michiganders will just stay at home.

I'm definitely going. This has been in the works for so long, I am surprised at the lineup they could get. I'm sure there will be a ton of people there. . . Just yesterday I had friends from Illinois and Indiana calling me about this. People travel all over to go to these things.

Does it say anywhere exactly how many 'Early Bird' Tickets there will be? I have a feeling that I won't get the special price even if I buy them online that morning. . .

Hopefully this will be a nice mini-boost to the area economy! At festivals like moe.down and Bonnaroo, people usually end up buying TONS of last-minute items like ice, sunscreen, beer, etc.

Archived