Red Light Cameras

richyb83

What do yall think?? Is this a good idea?? It's ashame running red lights seems to be getting so out of hand for them to have to do this. <_< WAFB News at 6:00 said "Big Brother" is watching. They already busted a sheriff's car for running a light; they were going to tell us if they were going on a call or not? But I missed that.

Red Lights Cameras Go into Effect Monday

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=7866407

Mayor Kip Holden sent out a warning Wednesday morning for motorists who run traffic signals. Starting Monday in Baton Rouge, you'll be ticketed.

The initial camera has been installed on Coursey and South Sherwood Forest Boulevard.

Holden says the camera will take video evidence of your car running the stop light. That evidence will then be reviewed by members of the Baton Rouge Police Department. If officers determine that a violation has occurred, you will be sent a traffic ticket.

Holden says the city isn't looking to cash in on the enforcement tool. He says they are looking out for public safety.

Four more red light violation cameras will be set up around the city.

The locations are set for: Essen and I-10, College Drive and I-10, Airline and Old Hammond, and LA 19 and Blount Road.

The price of those tickets will be $117 each.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do yall think?? Is this a good idea?? It's ashame running red lights seems to be getting so out of hand for them to have to do this. <_< WAFB News at 6:00 said "Big Brother" is watching. They already busted a sheriff's car for running a light; they were going to tell us if they were going on a call or not? But I missed that.

Red Lights Cameras Go into Effect Monday

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=7866407

Mayor Kip Holden sent out a warning Wednesday morning for motorists who run traffic signals. Starting Monday in Baton Rouge, you'll be ticketed.

The initial camera has been installed on Coursey and South Sherwood Forest Boulevard.

Holden says the camera will take video evidence of your car running the stop light. That evidence will then be reviewed by members of the Baton Rouge Police Department. If officers determine that a violation has occurred, you will be sent a traffic ticket.

Holden says the city isn't looking to cash in on the enforcement tool. He says they are looking out for public safety.

Four more red light violation cameras will be set up around the city.

The locations are set for: Essen and I-10, College Drive and I-10, Airline and Old Hammond, and LA 19 and Blount Road.

The price of those tickets will be $117 each.

I love the idea greatly. I think BR has a serious problem with red light runners, it really is a driving hazard. I can think of many more intersections to put them at than just the 4 mentioned. I have an issue with where the money raised will be going. It will go into the general city/parish fund. I'd actually like to see the money raised go to city road projects. At first I said roads and police raises, but given the recent spike in crime, I say it should go all to road projects.

Im surprised they only put out one camera for now...

Mobile has had the cameras for several years, and its been very successful there. They put them on almost ALL main intersections, and they replaced all the traffic lights with LED ones to conserve energy, and they also added a little blue light on the back of them, so that when the light turns red, drivers coming from the opposite direction knows the light is red.

I think Baton Rouge needs them all over the place...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all of yalls replies. It's sad it's come to this. Maybe if more lights were actually synchronized and properly timed it would not be such a problem. More adequate right turning lanes would not hurt either. I will never justify running red-lights; just saying they don't help the problem with traffic flow as it is now.

Red Light Cameras Going Up in Four New Locations

Starting Friday (March 14th), watch out for these locations as you drive around town:

College Drive at I-10 (2 cameras - one facing north bound, the other south bound)

Hwy 19 at Blount Road (1 camera)

Essen at I-10 (3 cameras - looking north, south, and east)

Airline Hwy at Old Hammond (1 camera)

Failing to stop for a red light at any of these locations could result in a $117 traffic fine in your mailbox.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=8013367

• 1 month later...
I love the idea greatly. I think BR has a serious problem with red light runners, it really is a driving hazard. I can think of many more intersections to put them at than just the 4 mentioned. I have an issue with where the money raised will be going. It will go into the general city/parish fund. I'd actually like to see the money raised go to city road projects. At first I said roads and police raises, but given the recent spike in crime, I say it should go all to road projects.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Report: 682 citations issued for week ending Oct. 4

According to the latest available information, the system issued 682 red-light citations for the week ending Oct. 4, an had another 222 potential violations under review by police and others.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/police/31090029.html

*click on intersection list(left)

Archived