Nashville urban housing construction

BrandonTO416

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ivory Tower is right. Nashville could ecome the premier city of the South and Atlanta could bust. Do I think it will happen? Not really. Could it happen? Most definitely.

Only 60 years ago there were outhouses on Capitol Hill

Heartofhistoricnashville21.jpg

It's amazing how things change in just 60 years. What will Nashville look like in 2060? I don't think we can even imagine.

Guest donaltopablo

Well, Paul, you know I couldn't resist replying to a comment like that. It was just too easy, you know. :lol:

I do see your point  - Things do change, but going by what has happened in the past fifty years, I doubt anything will change soon.

Who knows though? I could destroy Atlanta tomorrow ;)

As for Birmingham, well, city leaders fudgeed it over in the 50s and that's why it isn't the dominant city in the South now.

Your not destroying anything. Nashville urban housing construction, back on topic.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it safe to come back in here? I'll attempt stick to topic until the time comes when the train gets derailed.

We've talked about all the nice things going up all over the place and many have expressed concern that everything is being done for the rich, or at least those who can plunk down a minimum of $150,000 for a 700 sq ft loft. This article was in the City Paper this morning (7-16) and shows that sometimes the senseless tearing down and "upscaling" of old buildings doesn't have to displace people from their homes. This old hotel is on the National Register of Historic Places and was really glad to read this. Cities should be accessible to all levels and at least in this instance, someone in Nashville is putting them before the dollar. Thought I'd share.

JasRbtsonHotel1.jpg

Robertson building gets renovations

By William Williams, [email protected]

July 16, 2004

The James Robertson Apartments Building is on the National Register of Historic Places. Photo by William Williams The handsome James Robertson Apartments Building is undergoing major physical improvements that will ensure it remains a viable piece of downtown's vintage architectural fabric, according to the building's on-site manager.

The 12-story apartment facility, opened in 1929 as a hotel and highlighted with art deco flourishes, is one of Nashville's few pre-World War II-built structures in the 100- to 150-foot height range. Located at 118 Seventh Ave. N., the building is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Vicky Horner, an employee of James Robertson Apartments manager Southern Services, said the 123-unit low-income apartment tower is receiving a new roof, a new awning and a comprehensive sprinkler system. Southern Services is not releasing an estimated price tag for the updates, slated to be completed by year's end.

As to the possibility owner Robert A. Keenan might soon sell or raze the building, Horner said, "That's not the intent."

"We hope to keep it as low-income housing for the elderly," she added.

The city last appraised the building and the land on which it sits in 2001 for $3.2 million. Keenan has owned the property since 1978.

Blythe Semmer, a staff member with the Metro Historical Commission, consulted Horner as to the new look of the building's awning. Semmer said MHC staff members are pleased to know the James Robertson Apartments Building is being rehabbed and is in no danger of being razed.

"Maintenance is always the first thing we're looking for," Semmer said. "It's one of those good, strong downtown buildings."

Within the past few years, downtown has seen a number of pre-World War II pedestrian-oriented buildings demolished, with others in jeopardy.

For example, Christ Church Cathedral has just razed the Hathcock Building, located at 129 Eighth Ave. N., to create surface parking for its congregation. In addition, church officials demolished a smaller building, long home to Ju's Hatters and next to the Hathcock.

Other previous losses include two small brick buildings (located on Fourth Avenue South in SoBro and last home to a Cajun restaurant and music supply shop, respectively), which were torn down to make room for surface parking. Two blocks south, the building that housed 328 Performance Hall was razed as part of the long-term Gateway Boulevard project.

By early 2005, the building that once accommodated Hewgley's Music Shop (located at Seventh Avenue and Commerce Street) is expected to be toppled as part of the federal courthouse project.

I do hope you guys can keep it down. This is a topic not really worth arguing over - I've learned my own lessons over time after participating in some pretty pointless discussions before. If you don't want to take my advice - fine. But do remember I'm a moderator of this section which makes me obligated to shut the thread down should it get too upsetting.

So far as urban housing goes, dave you have listened to me and I know you feel the same - as well as others here - that there is simply not enough affordable housing in cities nationwide. This project seems great - I hope more come about like this.

The fact is, we don't need the fanciest of architecture in each building we construct; at the same time I don't care for commie blocks. As much demand that exists for urban living and housing in the Nashville market, there should be between 10-20 buildings constructed in the central core area - Downtown to West End - that are between 15 and 30 floors. Ones that have affordable rates, and a rail system on the ground to serve this type of development. If not rail, at least a professional busway/BRT system that actually works. It would be healthy for the city - along with continual redevelopment of ground level buildings in an urban fashion.

Could you imagine Centennial park being bounded by new condos and apartments on each side. Maybe the city could work with the HCA people to develop the sides of the park where it touches the HCA campus.

Continually developing north of downtown upon the Bi-Centennial mall is a great idea. There are two buildings proposed at 12 stories I think it is? That is great - but we need about 10 more buildings like that. And some of those buildings should have truly affordable units - ones that cost no more then $100,000. And ones that aren't a silly studio - real livable housing. I would love to see nothing but solid urban housing, retail, and etc. from downtown's business district up to Germantown - even up to the old 265 loop.

It can be done - it takes government tax incentive for one thing.

Also, condos need to be developed with ground level retail. Think 2525 West End, only more interconnected with the city street and bounded between different buildings.

The fact is, an average highrise apartment building only houses some 200-300 people.

To construct some 20 buildings at or above 15 stories would only mean that 5,000 people (approx.) are needed to live in that.

Out of the some 200-300,000 people that will be moving into metropolitan Nashville over the next 10 years, the idea that demand isn't there is rediculous. Absolutely REDICULOUS.

Why does Vancouver have to be so special in North America? Why can't more cities construct urban housing on a greater level?

Oh I can dream. :)

BTW, to ignore the importance of the automobile in a city like Nashville is also dangerous. To get people to move to the central city - there does need to be ample parking. One of the best ideas I can imagine is to start building condos with a back alley and on the alleyway there be all the garages, trash pickup, etc. Most cities do this, Nashville should start patterning new development like this.

There is so much underdeveloped land in the city itself - not even a part of downtown.

There are gaping holes in the center city along the riverfront. Lebanon Pike east of downtown? For many miles its nothing but a wasteland - and all that beautiful riverfront area is nothing more then warehouses and vacant land and powerlines.

Speaking of high-class housing - could you imagine Metro Nashville going after the Franklin style development by redeveloping that area with beautiful waterfront homes overlooking the bluffs on the river? There's even the commuter rail line (if its completed) that goes through that area. Very good location. Would give Williamson a run for its money. But it'll take vision to do that.

There is so much POTENTIAL for Nashville, it just needs to be taken advantage of.

The only southern cities that have a river flowing through them which are actually growing are... um. Memphis. LOL And even then, its growing at less then half the rate.

Nashville really needs to take more advantage of its waterfront.

Nashville needs to learn what mixed-use is. Wealthy and poor aren't always going to willing to live next door - but you can make the most by offering both low, mid, and higher class housing in the city overall instead of having polaried city where middle classers don't feel welcome at all.

heckles, I truly share your vision. I also wish I had said some of that myself, but as you think and communicate, I agree. Knowing this place as I do, I was able to follow your lines of thinking in a very visual form and I would surely like to see these things happen. Who knows how long this would take and who knows the sequence of events that might possibly be catalystic to this line of thought. I'm confident by what I read that forward thinking people are meeting often trying to determine the patterns of growth that will define this city in the future. It's a newly found sense of urbanism, not the "new urbanism, ultra-luxury, conservative, and expensive new urbanism", but real urbanism, as partially defined by just this very announcement of the Robertson Apts. I'm seeing a synergy here with new dvelopments and restored housing like this. For instance, the old folks at the Robertson will soon have an urban grocery a few short blocks away, hopefully the downtown trolley will accomodate. Many will be able and willing to walk. Sure, some of the buildings being converted into expensive lofts will spur additional amenities, but the amenities that currently exist, such as dry cleaners, small restaurants off the beaten paths, the library, etc. will continue to see their community value rise as use increases. New regulations which more easily allow the existing old buildings to build out into living quarters will cease being totally upscale developments, I'm sure and some will take advantage of the tax incentives available to invest smaller amounts and realize more afforable housing situations. Then, as you say, perhaps, new construction will follow as the older stock is filled. I can dream too.

Your vision for West End/Centennial Park is viable. I recall the drawing of the elevated rail for West End some years ago. Perhaps soon, this will be revived as the need has increased dramatically.

One of the things I regret is the impending loss of urban-oriented, young, forward-thinking men and women who will move to larger and more experienced urban centers to develop and enhance their chosen lifestyles. There, they will hopefully learn everything they need to come home again and contribute to the success that is surely to happen here given the inspiration, funding, and time necessary to do so. Subtle hint, heckles?

I don't know what my future holds. There are things I want, but then there is reality. Reality doesn't always yield compatible results with my "wants" so well.

If I had what I really wanted, I would be in a condo in Manhattan somewhere - be it Chelsea or whatever. I'd be in a condo in Chicago's Halsted/Clark neighborhood. ;) I'd have a job that paid enough for me to afford this, and to have extra spending money to save and use.

To be honest, I don't have a clue about how to find a job in an urban environment and live in an urban environment such as this. It will take time. The most I can do right now is search from monster.com and apartments.com. LOL

So far as Nashville goes, I really don't see myself living here for any amount of time. But if I did, the metro council would hear from me quite a bit. There's plenty change I'd like to see.

• 10 months later...

Yes, you got me on density and metro population.

Look at Phoenix or Dallas for example, they are sprawled to some degree, but due to population, transit and skyline(Dallas anyhow), most consider them big league citys.

Let me restate, if the skyline could catch up,which could be possible, cause ya never know how things could shift in the future.

Some people probably would have never thought Nashville to reach todays level.

Transit is always a possability.

No, not a major port, but a port none the less.

And you can never tell how the port industry in the city might grow in the future.

Yes, Music city, regardless of what you say, the city will always be Nashvegas, and economical wise(large or moderate) it's a plus.

So like I've said, let Nashville work on a couple things and it would surpass Atlanta.

I think you are comparing present conditions anyways.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with you on this one Ivory Tower...Nashville has more upside than Atlanta. I'd add a major league baseball team, more skycrapers, and a decent regional rail system to my wish list.

Agreed. I wouldn't live in Nashville again, but it was certainly a learning experience. I know I won't live in Birmingham forever; I have my sights set on someplace lke Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., or even somewhere like Cleveland.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's funny that you say that...my wife and I are considering moving to Nashville from the Philadelphia area (we lived in Philly for 5 years; now we live in NJ.) Out of curiosity, why Philly?

I noticed tonight that the old West End Apts (the one made out of that old, never opened Holiday Inn) is going down. Everyone is gone, there's debris all over the place. I guess that fancy new condo (10 stories last I heard) is getting ready to build. At least they'll have their Walgreen's.

The paper this morning had an article on some apartments/lofts (Summer Streeet Lofts) across from the Germantown Cafe beginning construction this summer. Two-story, commerical (restaurant/gallery/boutique) at street level. These are rentals, starting at $700 for the 500+ sq. foot studios. There won't be many of them, they'll go fast, I'm sure. But, another ugly block building and vacant lot bites the dust in Germantown. It's getting crazy over there.

I have been driving by "The Enclave" under construction quite a bit...it looks like it's going to be a pretty nice place. Not a highrise, but the right size for the area. 4 stories I think.

Also, I've been helping my aunt move her office at Vanderbilt UMC. She has moved into the Medical Center East Building (the HUGE 10 story one on 21st Ave....must have 35,000 sq ft per floor at least). The view from the 10th floor (which I have access to... :whistling: ) is absoultely fabulous. It is just above the tree line, so the only buildings visible are the larger ones (4-5 stories+ ) all across town. The view of downtown is indescribible...I've been meaning to take my digital camera, because you guys deserve to see this view...it might give you a new perspective on the density of Nashville. Also, while I'm in the area, I might take a few shots of Hillsboro Village, Music Row, West End, Belmont, etc. It all depends on how much time I have.

So what are you waiting for nashvol? Get the camera out! It is pretty dense and getting denser by the day.

The Monroe? This will be an 8-unit condo development at the opposite end of the same block on which Germantown Cafe is located. It will fill the last remaining empty lot on that stretch of street. These are going to be expensive, however. $486,000 is a figure that comes to mind. Very, very nice. I watched the Planning Commission hearing on this and the details were tasty. Wish I could afford something like this.

Archived