Who Actually Lives In Downcity Providence?

bod

Just because downtown living does not fit your finances doesn't mean it's not apporaching critcal mass. It most certianly is, Jen. Many folks have worked very hard and invested their time and money into downtown. Despite what you think, not all are rich and there is quite a variablity to income levels amongst downtown residents. To dismiss that based solely on your lack of personal finances is unfair and dishonest. I may have interpreted your intent and if I did, I apologize; however, I couldn't let your comment slip by without correction.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are you talking about? Not all condos downtown are $1 million dollars. That statement was simply ridiculous.

Just because downtown living does not fit your finances doesn't mean it's not apporaching critcal mass. It most certianly is, Jen. Many folks have worked very hard and invested their time and money into downtown. Despite what you think, not all are rich and there is quite a variablity to income levels amongst downtown residents. To dismiss that based solely on your lack of personal finances is unfair and dishonest. I may have interpreted your intent and if I did, I apologize; however, I couldn't let your comment slip by without correction.

So do we have numbers on how many people are living in downtown? if we consider downtown to be a "neighborhood" and how it stacks up against other neighborhoods? And what the median income is for those people living downtown? And what the price is per square foot for downcity? And what the average home price is for a condo downtown? It is certainly possible that I may be wrong (the humanity!) but i'm going to guess that a lot of other neighborhoods in providence, with better services, will actually come in cheaper than living downcity.

Please please please do not preach to me about investing time (and money) in downtown (or any other part of providence, thanks). You don't want to go there with me, friend. But i think that folks are realistic in knowing their limits, knowing what their needs are as far as housing and to shun a bunch of Urban Planeteers (as bod has) because we don't all live downcity, is pretty f*cking snotty. Living anywhere in providence makes you an urban dweller. there is no extra "cred" for living in downcity, at least not in my opinion. It is just another neighborhood that some people can and will live in and some people can't afford to live in. Not unlike Elmhurst or Summit, or anywhere else in Providence.

You can't compare the other neighborhoods around Providence to Downcity. Downcity is in a league of its own. I don't think I really need to explain this as it's visibly obvious...

I apologize if anyone thought I was being snobby. My original post was to only intended to see who lived in Downcity. If anyone does, they didn't respond. But everyone that doesn't, did. I was just curious because everyone is very enthused about the progress and development in Downcity. Yet when asked about living there, it always seems to be negative. Money always seems to be the issue. Stating that there are only $1M+ condos is completely inaccurate. Are you going to find a 3000 sqft house with a yard for the dog and all the babies for $100K? No. That's why you move to the deep south. The fact that Downcity Providence does have high prices only shows that it's a worthwhile destination city. Maybe the school janitor can't afford to live here, but would he be living in Downtown Boston? When it comes to pricing, Providence is on the same track as other major cities. People want to keep seeing Providence progress and develop, yet they are the first ones to throw around negative insults.

I would think that a poster like me, being as positive as I am, would be a positive thing for this community. But I guess I'm looked down on instead. Confusing.

No, I am not a troll. At least no one has ever told me to my face...

Thanks, KRC, for defending me! :)

Yes, I do have numbers. Otherwise, I wouldn't be calling you out on it. I'm not your friend, so please save that derrogatory smackdown of that term for someone it works on. Just because you planted a few trees and some horrible dead flowers in Kennedy Plaza doesn't make you some kind of saint. You'll probably find this strange, but I find you to be part of the problem in Providence not a solution. I haven't responded to your posts out of respect, but this could go by. You keep focusing on some kind of defense you are building against bod, yet that's not my beef with you at all. By the way, I love the f-bomb in your post. Nice language.

Yes, I do have numbers. Otherwise, I wouldn't be calling you out on it. I'm not your friend, so please save that derrogatory smackdown of that term for someone it works on. Just because you planted a few trees and some horrible dead flowers in Kennedy Plaza doesn't make you some kind of saint. You'll probably find this strange, but I find you to be part of the problem in Providence not a solution. I haven't responded to your posts out of respect, but this could go by. You keep focusing on some kind of defense you are building against bod, yet that's not my beef with you at all. By the way, I love the f-bomb in your post. Nice language.

Actually, I think the only person who was attacked without warrant would be myself. Are you saying it's ok for someone to go around calling people they don't even know trolls? But, I find defending myself pointless and worthless because I have better things to do, like walk a few blocks!

What the F**K is THAT about? I don't think this issue requires that kind of anger, KRC. No one's being this nasty to you. You are totally overreacting and making unwarranted personal attacks.

You can't compare the other neighborhoods around Providence to Downcity. Downcity is in a league of its own. I don't think I really need to explain this as it's visibly obvious...

I apologize if anyone thought I was being snobby. My original post was to only intended to see who lived in Downcity. If anyone does, they didn't respond. But everyone that doesn't, did. I was just curious because everyone is very enthused about the progress and development in Downcity. Yet when asked about living there, it always seems to be negative. Money always seems to be the issue. Stating that there are only $1M+ condos is completely inaccurate. Are you going to find a 3000 sqft house with a yard for the dog and all the babies for $100K? No. That's why you move to the deep south. The fact that Downcity Providence does have high prices only shows that it's a worthwhile destination city. Maybe the school janitor can't afford to live here, but would he be living in Downtown Boston? When it comes to pricing, Providence is on the same track as other major cities. People want to keep seeing Providence progress and develop, yet they are the first ones to throw around negative insults.

NOTHING is selling ANYWHERE throughout the country. It has nothing to do with downtown Providence. We're into a recession and the market dropped a year ago. Waterplace is not converting everything into apartments, just a handful. No one is complaining about the noise here, I'm not. The complaint had to do with a business that moved in after a resident did. It was internal noise, not external noise. People live in the city because they like external noise and "most" of the action that surrounds it.

you still continue to throw negative insults hidden in your post. no, we're not talking about moving to the deep south, but you can get a lot more for your money (and none of us are talking solely about the size of a condo/apartment/house) in the other neighborhoods of providence and still be living in a very urban environment.

no one is throwing around negative insults towards people who live downtown, but we certainly don't want those people who live downtown to think they're special in some way. yes, downtown is different from the other neighborhoods in that up until fairly recently, it's been mostly businesses, bars, and restaurants. and now people are moving downtown and complaining about the noise of their neighbors, many of whom (and i'm not specifically talking about the cosmopolitan and murphy's) were there first, before this new idea for people to move downtown came to fruition. those people who wanted a quiet place to live, live in more quiet neighborhoods. those who want to be in the action all the time, live in neighborhoods with more action. the same can be said about just about any other city. are the people who live in downtown boston any different than those who live in allston, south boston, or JP? yes, in that they want to live there and can afford it. that doesn't mean they care any more about living in an urban environment. it's you who's writing these elitist comments trying to hit a nerve with us and it looks like you got what you wanted.

and the comment about the prices is kind of funny. the condos aren't selling and waterplace is going to apartments. i'm not saying providence isn't a destination city (though compared to certain other nearby cities, it's not), but downtown isn't really this destination where a ton of people want to live just yet... at least not for those prices.

I'm not angry at all, nor am I overreacting. Again, thanks for the f-bomb. Makes for great discourse, doesn't it. Just because I don't find Jen's self proclaimed great contributions to be all that doesn't mean I'm angry or making personal attacks. I've had the pleasure of meeting Jen is public forums and seen her opinions and style at work and I personally don't like her. To me, she is part of the old guard that is the problem not a solution. I aplogize if that upsets you, but I stand by my words.

I am a resident of downtown and she has been incorrect on many, many circumstances and I have never challenged her. I fully believe she has a right to her opinion, as do I. But while trying to cut bod down to size and put him into his place she threw out some derrogatory statements and incorrect facts. That's my beef.

I apologize if anyone thought I was being snobby. My original post was to only intended to see who lived in Downcity. If anyone does, they didn't respond. But everyone that doesn't, did.

Joking aside, I see your point, TheAnk. I guess the idea is that you need people around 24/7 to support a really vital downtown. I guess don't know enough about what the different models of successful downtowns are- would people who know about this stuff consider Federal Hill, College Hill and other adjacent areas too far away to make downtown vibrant? That seems weird. They are so close.

Is this taqueria the same truck that used to hit Decatur? I miss that place and its $2 gansetts and Joe-sadilla.. That was one of my favorite summertime excuses to drink beer; outdoor setting, taco truck, cheap beer = guaranteed good times.. (Note, normally a patchouli comment would be inserted, but I want to get back on Cotuit's non-hate list)

RE: the O'ville NA, I really wish they wouldn't represent our hood like they do.. But I guess they deserve some credit for not being habitual backbenchers (frymasterspeck; verse 3, psalm 15)

It's a cafe at AS220 on Empire.

Is this taqueria the same truck that used to hit Decatur? I miss that place and its $2 gansetts and Joe-sadilla.. That was one of my favorite summertime excuses to drink beer; outdoor setting, taco truck, cheap beer = guaranteed good times.. (Note, normally a patchouli comment would be inserted, but I want to get back on Cotuit's non-hate list)

RE: the O'ville NA, I really wish they wouldn't represent our hood like they do.. But I guess they deserve some credit for not being habitual backbenchers (frymasterspeck; verse 3, psalm 15)

The best example would be the charette in Olneyville on Steauvers (sp?) plans for the neighborhood. During that session, the neighborhood association came out screaming and completely discredited themselves in the forum. I tried to point out that they were making some valid points, but that their delivery was incorrect. You came at me afterwards spewing about how I have to care about you and the poor and your finances and that I really didn't have any point to make because I was RICH and wasn't born here. I was actually on your side of the discussion! That's how you know me, Jen.

On a side note, it turns out my point was correct. Exactly how much clout does the Olneyville Neighborhood Association have with regards to that development...zero.

Archived