2008 NC Governor's primary race

ChiefJoJo

2008 NC Governor's race (including primaries)  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your choice for Governor in 2008?

• Bill Graham (R), Salisbury attorney
    • Pat McCrory (R), 7-term Charlotte Mayor
    • Richard Moore (D), 2-term NC State Treasurer
    • Bob Orr (R), former NC State Supreme Court Justice
    • Bev Perdue (D), 2-term NC State Lieutenant Governor
    • Fred Smith (R), 3-term NC State Senator (Johnston Co)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally like Richard Moore. I think he has done a respectable job for the state as treasurer and we need that fiscal responsibility to continue. But overall I think most any candidate will be a far cry better than smeasly and the bias he has show certain parts of the state.

The candidates weigh-in on transportation. None are willing to propose raising fees or taxes to pay for new improvements.

EDIT 4/23: Candidates weigh-in on energy policy...

Perdue

Moore

Graham

McCrory

Smith

I guess Orr didn't submit an essay to the Observer. You might as well throw Graham's essay in the trash after he called the John Locke Foundation "non-partisan." :rolleyes: Read between the lines of some of these essays and you can tell a lot about what they will actually do as Governor. The GOP candidates have to toe-touch on this issue as they are all fighting to appear the most conservative (don't rock the boat), but this is an issue that most experts believe requires a drastic shift in our policies away from fossil fuels. Personally, I think Perdue is the most out in front on the energy issue. Kudos to Moore for mentioning improving mass transit funding in our urban areas. McCrory, it should be noted, has worked for Duke Energy for his entire career, so you will likely never see him take a hard stance against coal-fired plants and other traditional energy sources, despite the massive increase in carbon emissions. As much as I think McCrory will help urban areas on transportation policy, he is very weak on social issues and energy policy IMO.

In regards to the Wright -> Obama -> Moore/Perdue TV ad, what is the NC GOP thinking?

I guess it is raising money, and maybe the majority of our state's Repbulicans think this is a positive contribution to the political debate?

Even the party's presidential nominee does not like the ad. One Republican gubenetorial candidate has spoken against it (Orr) but the other three have not, and neither has Senator Elizabeth Dole. This has been out for over 24 hours... their silence might as well be approval.

I don't know if the party even needs to spend a dime to run it now, since it has done its job -- increase donations and get its "message" out via the media covering it.

But if the NC GOP sticks to their "gut", I hope they get burried by the backlash.

• 2 weeks later...

I know tha McCrory is very familiar with Charlotte's crime and transportation issues and will fight to get us more DA's(funded by the State) and our "fair" share of transportation funding in the state. So now I will be listening to see what Bev Purdue has to say about these very basic issues where the State really ignores Charlotte/Mecklenburg.

I am pretty sure that if the Democrats in this state think McCroy is a serious contender, they are going to tie him to GW Bush. McCroy did afterall work as Bush's attack dog against Kerry in 2004 and was the opening speaker in the GOP convention that year. I am not sure how much traction that might give them, but I don't think McCroy has any idea what the the Perdue machinery will do to him before this is over.

Well, I suppose Bev (don't you just loathe that name :rolleyes: ) could be tied to Easley, pay-to-play in the NCDOT, Easley's infamous email deletion drama, etc.

Can anyone say what she is for, other than whichever way the wind is blowing from the last person who sat in her office? I have read that she supports "green" concerns, but it's Our Mayor Pat :rolleyes: who launched the state's first light rail system.

I thought her pious reunciation of negative ads in the primary was a stroke of masterful evil. She was so far ahead of Moore by that time that it didn't matter what she did.

She's no friend of Charlotte, of that I am certain.

Bev. Reminds me of an old Gilda Radner sketch on SNL; Gilda couldn't remember whether her new neighbor preferred "Bev" or "Beverly," so she called her "Bever.,"

You know what really shocks me is that Fred Smith did so well. He a sleazy tract-home developer!

I know tha McCrory is very familiar with Charlotte's crime and transportation issues and will fight to get us more DA's(funded by the State) and our "fair" share of transportation funding in the state. So now I will be listening to see what Bev Purdue has to say about these very basic issues where the State really ignores Charlotte/Mecklenburg.

The BIG x-factor here is what the legislature will support. I have not been able to figure out how NC politics work yet... does the governor actually have any power, or is it like SC where its essentially a "queen of england" position? I say this because he can support whatever changes he wants, but if the legislature won't support the change too, its basically a exercise in futility.

Conventional wisdom seems to be that GOP got their man in McCrory, but I think McCrory/Perdue is a race the GOP can't win, not this year anyway. Here's why: for any GOP candidate (particularly one from the "great state of Mecklenburg") to win statewide office in NC, he has to offset the tilt towards the Democrat in the Triangle and Triad with lots of votes from "Reagan/Helms Democrats" in Eastern NC, since Democratic voters still outnumber GOP by quite a bit in NC. Of course, in this case, as with Easley (and probably more so than with Easley, who was a Southport carpetbagger), Perdue has her base of support in Eastern North Carolina, being a part of the Basnight/Owens eastern NC political machine. Without the votes in eastern NC, McCrory won't have the statewide support he needs to win (and even if Perdue wasn't from the east, those voters have a historic antipathy towards supporting any candidate from Charlotte).

This one won't even be as close as Vinroot/Easley was...

^That's what I'm thinking too.

McCrory most likely will fare bad in Eastern NC (except maybe the redder-than-red Johnston County) and will definitely do poorly in the bluer-by-the-day Triangle.

His strengths will be in Charlotte and Western NC (except Asheville).

Thus, the Triad will likely be the big battle ground in this one. Their city cores will probably lean for Purdue, but their sprawling suburban areas will be fair game for him.

Archived