Downtown Redevelopment Funding for Bridgeport

Governor Rowland Announces Downtown Redevelopment Funding for Bridgeport

Posted on 04/27/2004

Funds to Help Create Rental Housing, Commercial Space, and a Refurbished Parking Garage

Governor John G. Rowland today announced a $1 million Urban Act grant to A&F Commercial Builders, LLC for the rehabilitation of the Citytrust building at 955 Main Street in the northern section of downtown Bridgeport. The building will be converted into approximately 131 units of market rate rental housing and 29,000 square feet of commercial space, and will include a refurbished 277-space parking garage. Formal approval of the grant is expected to occur at the State Bond Commission meeting on Friday, April 30.

• 1 year later...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Bridgeport needs something and this sounds like a start. Bridgeport is in a tough situation as a city. It is located close to New York City but because of Stamford doesn't attract all the businesses that want an easier CT city alternative that is still close to NYC. Bridgeport is CT's largest city but because it is not the capital, funding first went to Hartford, then to New Haven (Gateway project, I-91/95 reconstruction) and now finally it appears that funding is reaching Bridgeport.

This does seem like an awful lot of things to be built at once but lets see how it goes.

The pressure of people wanting to get out of New York City due to prices and/or security concerns is immense. There are hordes of New Yorkers who are looking for a low price urban alternative. For the ones willing to give up their jobs, Hartford and Providence are benefitting from that exodus. For the ones not willing to give up their jobs in the city, Bridgeport is very attractive. When I lived in NYC I heard not a few people toying with the thought of moving to Bridgeport. They just need a little something to tip the balance and New Yorkers will flood in.

Now one may have opinions on if being overrun with New Yorkers is a good thing or not, but the fact is, they'll bring a lot of money into the city.

I love New York and New Yorkers and have to say Stamford for example is a great city because of New York.

I have to say though that I love CT, I love CT's cities and have faith in everything that is being done to revamp CT's cities but I have to say right now Bridgeport is a mess but I saw the plans on the news with renderings of what the Bridgeport waterfront would look like and you couldn't even tell it was Bridgeport so hopfully this ambitious project will do the trick or at least start the trick.

Archived