Augusta Downtown Trolley

augga706

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it. Looks like the route I'd choose (except I'd maybe extend it to come down 5th st. or somewhere closer to the new Watermark project). $175 million seems a bit much for a 4 mile trolley, but I suppose it'll be all new track.

I find it a bit scary that they referenced the Tampa streetcar as a success... That's a terrible system with very limited usefulness...

Since the project is 175 million dollars already. They probably said the residents who will lived in the watermark condos on reynolds can walk to the trolley. I would have like to seen some form of light rail instead going around augusta. A stop in downtown, west augusta, south augusta, medical district, ft. gordon, evans, martinez, thomson, burke county, grovetown, north augusta and aiken but a trolley system is a good start. Amtrak was intrested in augusta this will make them look harder.

• 2 weeks later...

Multi-million dollar trolley system proposed for downtown Augusta

City leaders met Wednesday to discuss ways to bring trolleys back to downtown Augusta.

They're suggesting a rail system that would be powered by water from the canal. The project would cost $35 million dollars a mile. The current proposal on the table calls for 4 miles. 80 percent of that money is eligible for federal funding. The downtown development authority is hoping to visit other cities with similar projects in the coming weeks.

Archived