Mixed Use Spirit Square and Main Library Redevelopment

dubone

I’d honestly be upset if something of significant height isn’t built on the Hall House block. Perfect candidate for a BOA or other corporate office tower.

I personally want to see the skyline stretch from end to end. South Tryon has done its part. My ideal outcome is for AT LEAST two 650+ft towers added between Hearst and 277. The Hall House block being among the best options.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Super excited for this but am a bit sad that Building D 'Corporate Office' is only projected to be 15 floors.   With that greenspace wrapping 2 sides and having such a prestigious address I hoped to find something much taller.  Do full floorplates up 8 stories and then go to floorplates covering just 1/4 of the footprint on the corner of 7th and Tryon.   That would give awesome views down the Tryon canyon.  

Still an exciting project.  Thanks for posting.  

3 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Super excited for this but am a bit sad that Building D 'Corporate Office' is only projected to be 15 floors.   With that greenspace wrapping 2 sides and having such a prestigious address I hoped to find something much taller.  Do full floorplates up 8 stories and then go to floorplates covering just 1/4 of the footprint on the corner of 7th and Tryon.   That would give awesome views down the Tryon canyon.  

Still an exciting project.  Thanks for posting.  

Its not "projected" to be anything. They just created a massing. I'm pretty sure it'll be around 27-30 floors when all is said and done.

Just now, cjd5050 said:

I was going off the pdf.  Good to hear it will be that tall.

Screenshot 2018-03-15 09.48.04.pnga

It'll all be up to the master developers discretion, these are "baseline uses," basically meaning this is the starting point of what they expect proposals to be. TBH, it could maybe considered a minimum.  But with BofA as one of the driving forces for this project, you can bet your ass that "Commercial Office" component is theres. 

9 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

I was going off the pdf.  Good to hear it will be that tall.

I think RDF's point is that nothing is set in stone. 15 stories is a starting point for the RFQ, and it likely reflects a desire by the committee that put the RFQ together - as does all of the massing. Once they have a developer on board and financing starts to come together, I'm sure that massing and layout will change .

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm excited but nervous to see how Charlotte does alleyways. 

My mind sees cute ped-friendly paths in which you can get whimsically lost, but my brain that knows Charlotte knows better and expects black pavement lined with blank concrete walls.

You will get to see how Charlotte does Alleyways on not just this but also on Ally Center and Design Center, Tompkins Alley at Design Center is supposed to lined with shops and restaurants.

13 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I think RDF's point is that nothing is set in stone. 15 stories is a starting point for the RFQ, and it likely reflects a desire by the committee that put the RFQ together - as does all of the massing. Once they have a developer on board and financing starts to come together, I'm sure that massing and layout will change .

Ya.  New to these types of documents.  Glad to have incorrectly assumed.  :)

3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

What is "black box" ?

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm excited but nervous to see how Charlotte does alleyways. 

My mind sees cute ped-friendly paths in which you can get whimsically lost, but my brain that knows Charlotte knows better and expects black pavement lined with blank concrete walls.

I wouldn't set your expectations too high, but don't go too low either. I think its ok to be mildly skeptical at this point, but I expect there will be lots of windows, and maybe a few blank walls... but blank walls don't have to be "blank" and can be an asset for things like murals if thought through properly. The other thing is the City has good urban design team now whereas it didn't a few years ago when other projects (like Epicenter and the DPT) came in. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Maybe they're trying to incorporate a black box theater of some kind? 

Yes, it looks like a replacement for the black box Duke Energy Theater (one of my favorites in town) is thankfully part of the proposed master plan.  It’s currently located directly behind the McGlohon Theater (original old First Baptist Church building) in the L-shaped portion of the proposed main library footprint.  Charlotte has too few performing arts venues as it is, so I’m glad to see we’re (hopefully) not losing another.

• Like 2

Yes, it looks like a replacement for the black box Duke Energy Theater (one of my favorites in town) is thankfully part of the proposed master plan.  It’s currently located directly behind the McGlohon Theater (original old First Baptist Church building) in the L-shaped portion of the proposed main library footprint.  Charlotte has too few performing arts venues as it is, so I’m glad to see we’re (hopefully) not losing another.

You know I’d like the city to designate that the retail space behind duckworths be a decently sized performance, or entertainment venue. Even if it were something like a house of blues or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

From this article it seems Bank of America is not interested in leasing any more space in the N Tryon corridor study area thus no 20 or 70 story towers. 

""Bessant said the bank is pursuing options for the parcels it owns - one at Seventh Street where the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police substation is located and one next to the McColl Center and Charlotte Ballet - that don't necessarily involve building more office space. Bank of America agreed to lease about 500,000 square feet in a new, 33-story tower under construction on South Tryon Street (at the former site of the Charlotte Observer) that will serve its expansion and consolidation needs for the foreseeable future, Bessant said.""

Entire article here http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article206549929.html

""I don't necessarily see more office space" for the bank in the North Tryon corridor, said Bessant, who calls herself a graduate of the "(Hugh) McColl Development University."She said they're still looking at possible partners for their sites. "In part, that's why we haven't made some big or bold announcement now," said Bessant. One possibility: Some of the land could be donated to an affordable housing developer and used for housing meant for lower-income renters uptown.""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

This project has so much retail which I'm excited for. Curious to see how the Alleyways here and at other Charlotte projects turn out. Hopefully it will be nice and inviting and it won't look like someplace where people take you to pick up some goodies. Sad news about BOA, Was hoping for a new tallest tower. Who knows though, Anything could happen.

Edited by Cadi40

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/15/2018 at 9:35 AM, Hunted said:

I’d honestly be upset if something of significant height isn’t built on the Hall House block. Perfect candidate for a BOA or other corporate office tower.

I personally want to see the skyline stretch from end to end. South Tryon has done its part. My ideal outcome is for AT LEAST two 650+ft towers added between Hearst and 277. The Hall House block being among the best options.

Yes! I want that corporate office to be like 40 stories. lol

2 minutes ago, j-man said:

Yes! I want that corporate office to be like 40 stories. lol

Then you guys will be very disappointed. I'd imagine the tallest this block will go will be 400'

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Then you guys will be very disappointed. I'd imagine the tallest this block will go will be 400'

well. I can deal with that. As long as there's something that makes the tallest building in that area and shows up in skyline photos then I will be ok with it. This block will be very tight and well developed I see with a variety of uses.