Mixed Use Spirit Square and Main Library Redevelopment

dubone

7 minutes ago, Dale said:

400 feet would actually be higher than expected.

If I put a guess on eventual buildout for this site.

Corp Office – 25 floors, 385 feet (would have underground parking)
Creative Office – 15 floors – 280 feet (would have underground parking)
High Rise Residential – 22 floors – 270 feet 
High Rise Residential – 19 floors – 240 feet
Library with Affordable Housing on top – 15 floors 220 feet
Midrise Residential – 7 floors – 85 feet

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I assume the Cousins proposal calls for taller buildings ? I thought I remembered 15-18 stories for the Corp office.

11 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That's a lot to fit into spirit square. Or are you talking about the whole north Tryon vision plan area?

That's a lot to fit into spirit square. Or are you talking about the whole north Tryon vision plan area?

Talking within the siteplan above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I assume the Cousins proposal calls for taller buildings ? I thought I remembered 15-18 stories for the Corp office.

Never labeled a developer. I always doubted it would be built out that short, any developer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Ah I see. I feel dumb. Somehow I missed that post. Thanks

image.png.508a9258a75bd08af574f0157132e66d.png

Not dumb at all.  It sounds like a lot for sure, but I'd imagine the residential is formatted a lot like Northwood Ravin. These are big pieces of land, and if you bury parking on 1/2 of it, you have a ton of leeway. Charlotte projects are often hamstrung by the mammoth concrete fortresses to which we park our 4 wheel transportation devices. 

2 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It could be 40 ten foot floors... 

would have to be some short floors accounting lobby height, mechanical, hvac, electrical, plumbing etc routed in. I guess it could be a hotel with sizable bulkheads. haha.

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

would have to be some short floors accounting lobby height, mechanical, hvac, electrical, plumbing etc routed in. I guess it could be a hotel with sizable bulkheads. haha.

super common in the 60s and 70s... maybe they go retro with a sweet brutalist design

Wait... Let's pump the breaks.
Where is this entire project in it's process right now? I forget.

Technically I believe the developer has been chosen but not yet announced. Publicly it’s in the RFP phase. Then developer is chosen, negotiations happen, land is closed, and developer starts on however they phase this out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I for one am excited for the design of the library the architect Snøhetta has made some really cool libraries such as the Bibliotheca Alexandrina in Egypt and the James B Hunt Jr library at NC State and other cool things like the Oslo Opera House. The Hunt library for one is one of the coolest buildings in general I've ever been in.

220px-Hunt_Library_Exterior_2.JPG

220px-Alexandia_2122995.jpg

1280px-Full_Opera_by_night.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

This is Charlotte, NC and I guarantee you all the money in my savings account there will be nothing of the likes OR even remotely close to above.  

I know the designs came in well over budget, and they are trying to find money for it, so I think actually it will be pretty wild looking. Also, I've heard the Discovery Place designs are on par with above. 

12 hours ago, Nick2 said:

@ricky_davis_fan_21 Yeah buried parking is such a huge plus as far as land use. I wish more would do it regardless of cost.

When I made that comment I was just thinking about the block bound by college, 7th, and 6th.

What are the chances we see significant movement on this in the nearish future?

I think it theres people lined up this process could start in 2020.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I know the designs came in well over budget, and they are trying to find money for it, so I think actually it will be pretty wild looking. Also, I've heard the Discovery Place designs are on par with above. 

I think it theres people lined up this process could start in 2020.

I thought Discovery Place hasn't even finished the masterplan process yet? Is there already a design?  Diller Scofidio + Renfro is doing the master plan, let's hope they get the actual commission for the building

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CLT> said:

I thought Discovery Place hasn't even finished the masterplan process yet? Is there already a design?  Diller Scofidio + Renfro is doing the master plan, let's hope they get the actual commission for the building

Shouldn't be much longer I wouldn't think. I haven't ever seen anything but I've heard things are progressing nicely.

They shouldn't waste these beautiful condo project plans. This would look great as one of the high rise apartments for this project. Maybe give the edges a more rounded look like Ascent with this color scheme. 

brevardexterior3-sm-070915.jpg

Edited by j-man
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

I'm surprised RDF hasn't commented on this yet haha

Who is the architect/design firm on this one?

Despite the critiques I'm about to make, I am looking forward to this one. All of the energy seems to be in 3rd Ward,  but with this and the tower by 9th St station, and the Carolina theater project it should help bring some energy to this area of uptown.

I agree with dub. I'm not overly excited about another glass box (in terms of architecture / urban design). I agree that using the Hearst/Truist tower as context makes a lot of sense. I personally would love to see more of the art deco/neo gothic influences show up in this area.

I'm also interested in looking in more detail at the plaza behind the library. That has potential to be a cool space - but I'm concerned that the tower could overwhelm the space and end up making it an unpleasant one, and if the ground floors are all glass on all sides, I think it would detract from the space. That said, the trend for ground floor spaces seems to be brick facades, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this one, given the importance places on the library and intentionality of preserving some of the historic components of this site.

• Like 2