Mixed Use Spirit Square and Main Library Redevelopment

dubone

But sadly the pedestrian plaza will be an area with retail at the ground floor of an exposed parking garage…..ugh! They could have utilized that space a lot better.

Exposed? They’re not covering it? Could be a good opportunity for art installations.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JeanClt said:

Exposed? They’re not covering it? Could be a good opportunity for art installations.

On the last renderings that actually showed the garage, they have it lightly screened. But my issue is that it’s just a deck with nothing around it or on top. But that was when the plans called for much more parking.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was on a Ghost Tour Saturday night that started in Old Settlers Cemetery.  We took the light rail and got off at 7th Street, walked up past the Library on 6th, and wasn't paying attention to the library.  The tour took us to the Dunhill, down the street to the Episcopal church and then up to Spirit Square.  The guide told us it was temporarily closed - which I found odd.  Thought it was still open.  Then as we walked pas the library on Tryon, I was pretty amazed to see the inside completely trashed!  Garbage and graffiti spraypainted all over the place - walls, windows - everywhere!  Then it donned on my as to why there were no people walking in and out and it was dark inside.  Forgot they had closed it in preparation for redoing that entire block.  I was telling my two friends what was supposed to be happening.

The trashing of the building on the inside was a jolt though!  I'm still wondering how that happened, and if there are homeless finding a way inside to stay out of the elements.  If I'm off base with that, someone in the know, please educate me!

On the flip side, we ended up (next to last stop) at Ri-Ra and after the last stop, which was next to Hooters on Trade, we went back to Ri-Ra.  It has been a minute since I've been uptown after working hours, and was pretty floored as to how busy the square was and a good number of the cross streets.  People everywhere!  Food trucks, vendors, musicians, bars, clubs all had people coming and going.  The only other draw, from what I can remember, was the ACC baseball tournament.  But that would have been during the day and was several blocks away.  I definitely think this is a good thing for Uptown, especially coming out of the pandemic.  However, it is kind of offset with the reminders of the businesses that closed (Carolina Ale House, EpiCenter, and Brixx and the Bar-B-Que place in 7th Street Station).  It is apparent that a lot of other places didn't survive the pandemic.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I can not tell you how disappointed I am with this project tearing town a historical 1940s all brick high rise for a stick built low rise with brick facade.

At least I can visit downtown Winston Salem, Durham, Asheville, Greensboro, Wilmington, Raleigh and see many buildings like this.  INLIVIAN should be ashamed! 

We should be ashamed as well.  We're facilitating the funding of this demolition.  Council voted and approved revenue bonds in December.  It seemed to go over without a hiccup.  It's like when someone brings up affordable housing in this city, nothing else can hinder it. 

Is there anything else at play here?  

I recall reading that the city will soon rename Barringer Drive to Revolution Park Drive - Osmond Barringer being the eponym.

I also know that Hall House was once known as Barringer Hotel.  

Is the rush to demolition the latest whitewashing?

Edited by RANYC
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Is there anything else at play here?  

I recall reading that the city will soon rename Barringer Drive to Revolution Park Drive - Osmond Barringer being the eponym.

I also know that Hall House was once known as Barringer Hotel.  

Is the rush to demolition the latest whitewashing?

Yes and the head of Inlivian has said so much.  It is a terrible public policy to destroy this building and no the decision is all on the city council for allowing this. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2