Mixed Use Spirit Square and Main Library Redevelopment

dubone

Genuinely confused here as to why there is exposed parking.  In the grand scheme of this development, this has to be a rounding error (as far as cost to address properly).

I'm assuming "artistic screening to be determined at a later date" will cover this.  :wacko:  
image.thumb.png.64ce64877ab2feeb80a51e37cc2a1a59.png
Looks potentially clad in glass all the way down here, but also not exactly "proof" around what the intent is:
image.thumb.png.30dea50628f3f0f8be991318388be200.png
None the less, who doesn't love highrises.  Snohetta is in the "Intercontinental is happening in ghostly spirit" camp.
image.thumb.png.b250a091e16c452900da5761b1be8865.png

How solid is this plan on a scale of 1-10 since there were rumors of things being changed* is this still what they’re going for?
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

I understand, just seems like they should have accounted for that in the schedule.  Being 8-10 months off (or whatever it ends up being) seems a pretty big mark to miss. 

I guess what I am saying is this is part of the process... and is on schedule? Abatement is a huge step in any tear down of a old building.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

More on this from the Biz Journal this afternoon:

"""(We) expect to execute the agreement this summer," the county representative said. "Demolition of existing buildings on the site will commence this summer, and work on the developer’s new construction is expected to commence by January 2024."

The $600 million redevelopment is a coordinated effort by four key stakeholders — the city, county, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library and Bank of America Corp. (NYSE: BAC) — to transform a 3.1-acre block bounded by North Tryon, Seventh, College and Sixth streets.

Plans call for a new Main Library, a 170,000-square-foot mixed-use building, a 400,000-square-foot office tower, market-rate apartments, 31,000 square feet of ground-floor retail and above-grade parking, all of which will be connected through a cultural corridor, according to the city. The master developer is Washington, D.C.-based Metropolitan Partnership.

Construction will happen in phases. The first phase will consist of the multifamily component, parking garage and hotel along Seventh Street. It is expected to deliver in spring 2026. The office tower will be part of phase two.""     

>>>> this is the office tower I had heard that Truist was interested in but is not right now.     In turn they could occupy more space of their own tower Truist Tower  pushing out another bank competitor tenant. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/04/12/seventh-and-tryon-redevelopment-uptown-real-estate.html

this project needs to get going to get some momentum going on N Tryon and the entire northern end of uptown.  

“The final development agreement to be voted on this year will iron out more specifics and is a binding agreement, which will lock in commitments outlined in the MOU after further negotiations.”

…oh wait, that was reporting on this same project in a 2020 bizjournals article.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

My drive by photos today from College Street.  Glad this is coming down so this area can move on without vacant hulking buildings.  

20230802_104413.jpg

20230802_104416.jpg

20230802_104430.jpg

20230802_104441.jpg

Just so we're clear though, this is demolition of the library for the replacement library.  Are we absolutely positive that Metropolitan Partnership is still committed to its piece of the 7th and Tryon transformation?

• 2 weeks later...