Mixed Use Spirit Square and Main Library Redevelopment

dubone

To be fair to our library, we did hide the HVAC equipment from people who are viewing the building from a 3rd story perspective. (We can pretend that there aren't thousands of people looking down on the building from the nearby towers). We also have a arbor-like archway there to guide people to the entrance from Tryon Street.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...9&encType=1

(I almost certainly saw a drug deal right under that arch when I was out for a run at 11p early this week...why I do that, I don't know).

I guess since I typically only use the library strictly for research and buy my books from Amazon.com, I just don't really use the library "for fun" like I used to when I was younger. However, I do realize that for many, especially those without access to the World Wide Web, libraries are invaluable.

In terms of design, I rather like the classic architecture of Florence County library in Florence, SC (it's a fairly new structure):

FlorenceLibrary.jpg

mainbranch.gif

While in a modern-classic-esk design, I've found Atkins Library on Charlotte's campus more inspiring than Charlotte's main branch uptown. It just seems wrong that a center serving 25k college students would be larger, more aesthetic, and better designed than the central library to a metro with over one million residents. Just seems odd to me. I don't have any good pictures of the inside of the library myself, but here is the only picture of the interior I was able to find online. Unfortunately it is taken from just above the entrance and doesn't show the actual scope of the library itself. Despite the lighting in this picture, the main floor is relatively inviting and warm.

library.jpg

My only gripe of UNCC's library is the tower portion. It's eight extra floors of wasted space on top of the main three really. The special collection is on the top floor, each of the floors have plenty of books and you get a great view of UCity and uptown from there, but each tower floor is very small and relatively uninviting.

As for the newer "expansion" lower floors, I just find them extremely visually appealing inside and out...

This is the tower before/after the recladding/bricking project, that process did not unfortunately make the tower look much better than this, but it was an improvement.

Atkins%20Library,%20March%2030,%202006%20-%20209%20p.m..jpgAtkins%20Nov07.jpg

I'm not saying that UNCC's library is the cat's meow, it's just much nicer than the uptown library IMO. And that, to me, seems wrong for a city this size. For a city like Chapel Hill, that's to be expected. The college there should rightfully have a nicer library, but Charlotte is too large to justify having such a mediocre icon.

Edited by aussie luke

While it would be pretty difficult to do with the space available, I'm more of a fan of the classical Greek Revival architecture when it comes to public buildings, especially places like libraries. Some places have been mentioned above, but the ones that immediately come to mind are the National Archives, The Supreme Court building, many monuments like the Lincoln Memorial, and of course, Wilson Library at Chapel Hill.

While in a modern-classic-esk design, I've found Atkins Library on Charlotte's campus more inspiring than Charlotte's main branch uptown. It just seems wrong that a center serving 25k college students would be larger, more aesthetic, and better designed than the central library to a metro with over one million residents. Just seems odd to me. I don't have any good pictures of the inside of the library myself, but here is the only picture of the interior I was able to find online. Unfortunately it is taken from just above the entrance and doesn't show the actual scope of the library itself. Despite the lighting in this picture, the main floor is relatively inviting and warm.

Here are several pictures of the interior of Atkins:

http://faculty.rwu.edu/smcmullen/UNCC.html

I'm honestly not happy with the architecture or layout of any library in Charlotte that I've been in. It is disappointing that our downtown library is not as pleasing as libraries in much smaller and poorer cities like Florence, SC. Charlotte really deserves an astounding library IMO.

Regarding only those without access to the Internet or money to purchase books for their own collection using the library, I would agree and disagree. (Note, I am biased a little as my wife is a librarian) We have a room that we use as a study in our home that is outfitted with several bookcases. Obviously we fit the bill of those who would rather purchase books for our own personal collection instead of using the resources of the library, but both of us find the library to be useful for certain types of materials. Obviously my wife has a different need than me since she is in this line of work, but I quite enjoy being able to go to the library and look at medical encyclopedias and other material that would be rather expensive to purchase for my own collection not to mention that free material available online may not be as accurate as what is in these encyclopedias.

A great library in terms of architecture, layout, etc. is also an excellent place to simply go to study and get some peace and relaxation. I don't particularly care to go to most libraries for this purpose, but there are a few that offer this atmosphere IMO. Unfortunately none of them exist in Charlotte so I would welcome a venue of this magnitude.

• 1 month later...

The spirit square plan seems to be much larger than we originally thought it would be. It gives mixed use a whole new name for Charlotte.

• 500,000 square feet of office space in a 15-story tower.
  • 40,000 to 60,000 square feet of shops and restaurants.
  • 100 to 125 apartments or condominiums.
  • 150,000 square feet for the new library.
  • A boutique hotel.
  • 1,000 to 1,200 parking spaces.

The thing that excites me most about this is its multiple uses and the fact that hopefully it will orient both towards college and tryon. I'm thinking that it would have to mostly orient towards college, due to the old church and fox and hound. There are a few things that I hope happen because of this project. Hopefully we can get a decently substantial hotel, maybe we can dream for more than 150 rooms, unlike the hotels we have been attracting lately. I also hope we go more towards apartments than condos, I imagine that will be the case due to the fact charlotte hasn't yet exhausted the apartment market. I also look forward to the day when there will be bars and restaurants on both sides of college st. I think this project, the winter garden/bofa/ritz, epicenter, the founders hall renovation, and the opening up of the omni will create a fantastic stroll district in the future.

The only thing I don't like about this plan is the fact that the new library will be no larger than the old library. The old library was 157k and this one will be 150k, I was hoping for closer to 225k honestly. Another thing, 500,000 seems awfully massive for a 15 story building, without taking up way too much room.

• 2 months later...

It looks like this project has been put on delay for at least 6 months due to the economic conditions and a real estate slow down. As of now, bids for this project will begin next summer instead of this winter.

I wonder if this is because of the spec condo units in the tower or if the overall economic conditions are to blame.

• 2 years later...

Reviving an older thread for a fantasy idea that occurred to me yesterday as I was having brunch at Monticello and looking towards the library.

I think the corner where the fountain is located is actually wasted space in a lot of ways particularly the space between the fountain and the building (where the trees are located). I got to thinking that what would be great is to convert some of the space in the building (the rotunda area behind the fountain) into a cafe with outdoor seating.

I know there a ton of logistical and political issues/obstacles to this one not the leas of which wold be fighting any perception that the library was moving away from it's mission, however if the space is organized correctly they could actually rent it out and perhaps have an income source for the library which is not a bad thing in this day and age. Additionally, while I like the idea of Taste that is on the top floor of Founders Hall, I think it is an obscure location and would much rather see a collaborative cafe of Johnson and Wales, and CPCC Culinary set up a demonstration restaurant cafe in a more prominent location such as the corner of the library.

Finally I thought it would be catchy to call the restaurant, The Cook Book and have all the food come (influenced by) recipes that appear in cookbooks. This would tie in with both the culinary schools angle as well as the library location.

I know this is just a far fetched dream, but frankly I think it would add another draw to Tryon Street while promoting one of our local strengths and it could benefit the library to boot.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently we are going to be seeing some movement on the Library/Spirit Square redevelopment:

He said the UNCC School of Art & Architecture was a partner along with Charlotte Center City Partners in the application. "Our application," Bush said in an e-mail, "was to support the Cultural Action Plan that we will be launching and specifically to support an international design competition for the Main Library/Spirit Square Block and the block immediately north on Tryon as a mixed use redevelopment project focused on innovation and creativity. "

http://marynewsom.bl...emore-west.html

^ Yeah I saw that (the application being denied) but I think that is just the application for Fed funds for the project, but I didn't take it as that was the end of the project.

It seems he is using a future tense of "will be launching". Not certain if that verbiage was from the application or a response to an inquiry about the application after it was denied. If it's the latter then the project seems like it is still a go.

• 3 years later...

The Light Factory, one of only four museums in the country devoted to photography,  is suspending operations. I'm placing this here because they are based at Spirit Square and it raises a lot of issues (even if some are just wish-list) in my mind.

The location for them has always been horrible in my mind as who goes to see their stuff (or even knows it exists) unless you are catching a show at Spirit Square.  Granted if the site was developed as long ago planned it would have been worth sticking it out there.   What I would love to see is the Foundation for the Carolinas step in here and convert their ground floor Luski Galleries to host some of the Light Factory exhibits for now.

In the intermediate term, I would love to see the Library rework the ground floor/Tryon Street side of the main library to be converted to Light Factory museum which would complement DIscovery Place across the street.

Of course, what I would really prefer is the actual redevelopment of the Library/Spirit Square parcel altogether.

Edited:  IN my original post I accidentally wrote that The Light Factory was only one of four museums in the country.   :huh:

Edited by Urbanity

• 1 year later...

Has anyone heard any recent news about this? I have searched around a bit but haven't been able to find anything new. With the new park over there, I wonder if anything interesting is going to begin happening on that side of downtown.

Has anyone heard any recent news about this? I have searched around a bit but haven't been able to find anything new. With the new park over there, I wonder if anything interesting is going to begin happening on that side of downtown.

Nope, I think it's DOA. You bringing this thepread up got me super excited! Then super let down!

• 6 months later...

I thought I'd bump this up to see if anyone had any news.

From the agenda article this morning on the theater hotel it looks like there's some activity specific surrounding the library/spirit square redevelopment:

"Right next door, plans are already in the works to redevelop Spirit Square and the Main Library"

Not sure if anyone had any insight or updates on specific plans.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Who has the final say on the design?  Any hope that they will be bold?

The planning department is spinning off an urban design department that'll occupy a prominent space on Camden, hopefully this will be in their wheelhouse. Their marketing collateral is crap, but they have a good roster of architects and urban designers on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The planning department is spinning off an urban design department that'll occupy a prominent space on Camden, hopefully this will be in their wheelhouse. Their marketing collateral is crap, but they have a good roster of architects and urban designers on board.

Nice.  I hope they have the freedom to push the envelop.  

While not a fan of most of the design, the new reading room at the top of the San Diego Central Library is a pretty stunning and inspiring place.  I hope they are able to create spaces like this that are almost glutinous uses of space.

ProjectImage.jpg

lib2.jpeg

• Like 1