Mixed Use Spirit Square and Main Library Redevelopment

dubone

9 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Nice.  I hope they have the freedom to push the envelop.  

While not a fan of most of the design, the new reading room at the top of the San Diego Central Library is a pretty stunning and inspiring place.  I hope they are able to create spaces like this that are almost glutinous uses of space.

ProjectImage.jpg

lib2.jpeg

I'm interviewing them tomorrow, so I'll ask.

3 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

oh my lord that's amazing. Where was that?

Where the library currently stands. The stretch spirit square sits on was special. McGlohon Theatre was the original First Baptist Church of Charlotte. 

CP_2000_04_158.jpg

Edited by Guest

I (REALLY) hate to be that guy but...what's wrong with the existing library?  They could improve the interior (mostly the flow and where materials are accessed) and the collection of materials but the building itself and size seem fine to me (and I use it).  It's also very close to Imaginon, which is a stellar facility.  I'd much rather see $90 million used on greenways and transit than a new central library.  Replacing the decrepit library in San Diego was a no brainer (though it took years and there was a lot of opposition) but I fail to see a compelling need in Charlotte.

2 minutes ago, JBS said:

I (REALLY) hate to be that guy but...what's wrong with the existing library?  They could improve the interior (mostly the flow and where materials are accessed) and the collection of materials but the building itself and size seem fine to me (and I use it).  It's also very close to Imaginon, which is a stellar facility.  I'd much rather see $90 million used on greenways and transit than a new central library.  Replacing the decrepit library in San Diego was a no brainer (though it took years and there was a lot of opposition) but I fail to see a compelling need in Charlotte.

There are a variety of reasons - the existing facility is significantly underutilized already (compared to the traffic it should get) and houses a lot of operations the library would like to relocate out to cheaper real estate. It has terrible street presence on all three streets it fronts, including the main entrance. The daylight access is pretty bad throughout quite a bit of the building, which isn't something that can be easily fixed. Overall, it's not well suited to many modern needs of a library - labs, meeting spaces, etc.

While I was thinking what JBS said, as a fan of all libraries I'm down for this re-do if it makes the library more heavily used in general. Make it a ltitle more grandiose in the process. I'm glad it's there for those who need it, but it seems so dead all the time. Really a shame for a civic institution in such an old city. Double shame they tore down the other old one. I hope they go classical with this.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

On 2/16/2017 at 8:21 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The planning department is spinning off an urban design department that'll occupy a prominent space on Camden, hopefully this will be in their wheelhouse. Their marketing collateral is crap, but they have a good roster of architects and urban designers on board.

Point of clarification - the Urban Design Division in the Planning Dept already exists (and has for a while) - they are just going to have the more visible space on Camden at some point. They already do a good job pushing the envelope... it's just hard for the general public to see the direct impact. Keep in mind that urban design does not affect architectural style. 

A long time ago the Library did a listening session to discuss the future, and they kept referencing Seattle's library (which I guess was fairly new at the time). I went to Seattle a couple of years ago and I wasn't all that impressed with their library aside from the natural lighting.

21 hours ago, tozmervo said:

There are a variety of reasons - the existing facility is significantly underutilized already (compared to the traffic it should get) and houses a lot of operations the library would like to relocate out to cheaper real estate. It has terrible street presence on all three streets it fronts, including the main entrance. The daylight access is pretty bad throughout quite a bit of the building, which isn't something that can be easily fixed. Overall, it's not well suited to many modern needs of a library - labs, meeting spaces, etc.

One of the other significant changes that isn't being discussed much is their book storage and distribution network. Right now all books that are transferred between library branches have to go through the main library. By moving that operation somewhere else it creates an opportunity to re work that space and create a more efficient system.

I think they also want a coffee shop on the street and a plaza space that is better utilized.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

You can download the entire .pdf of the presentation from the below link:

https://mecklenburg.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=2981194&GUID=A71EAD60-762D-46DC-ACB7-C4A21EAD3ECB&Options=&Search

I've always hope that Hall House goes back to a hotel, which is looks like is at least under consideration.  More specifically, I've always hoped it become a 21C Museum Hotel.  It's really the only building in Charlotte that has a chance of working for that brand.

http://www.21cmuseumhotels.com/

Couple of contacts have been hinting at the plans for this project to me for about 9-12Months. I am excited to see some progress.

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 8.56.28 AM.png

Edited by Guest

I am glad to see the old First Baptist Church now known as Spirit Square saved in this plan. And I am glad to see the Hall House saved the old Barringer Hotel and the old building that now houses Duckworths. This was one of Charlotte's first auto dealers and I actually knew a man who sold Buicks I think out of that building. Could this be Bank of America's 2nd rumored office building?    I forgot Bank of America owned that land 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

I am glad to see the old First Baptist Church now known as Spirit Square saved in this plan. And I am glad to see the Hall House saved the old Barringer Hotel and the old building that now houses Duckworths. This was one of Charlotte's first auto dealers and I actually knew a man who sold Buicks I think out of that building. Could this be Bank of America's 2nd rumored office building?  

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.06.22 AM.png

If you look at the Hall House the red brick building in the photos above I can see how it could have a great rooftop amenity area. I  did not realize this has been vacant so long that is so wrong. CM Housing authority has owned it. It would make a great Indigo hotel.  They must have moved the older people out after the renovation of Edwin towers was done and I just didnt realize it. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

If you look at the Hall House the red brick building in the photos above I can see how it could have a great rooftop amenity area. I  did not realize this has been vacant so long that is so wrong. CM Housing authority has owned it. It would make a great Indigo hotel.  They must have moved the older people out after the renovation of Edwin towers was done and I just didnt realize it. 

That is such a crazy opportunity for a boutique hotel it's INSANE. Probably the biggest opportunity in the city. They better not screw that up. 

• Like 1

Does anyone have any details on what might be done to the Discovery Place? It glossed over it in the article but I haven't seen much more detail. I love the Discovery Place and its location, but for a city our size it could and should be much larger, they have thousands of artifacts in storage, likely because they simply cannot be displayed in the space they have. 

• Like 3

Yes Hall House is vacant according to the Business Journal.  That means projects like public parking, a new public library, a refurbished McGlohon Theater that would connect to the library and a renovated Hall House (built as the Barringer Hotel in 1940 and stands vacant today) would be centerpiece initiatives for the two-block project.

Typical government inaction. The sale of that building could help fund the new apartments they want to build on that block.  But I am not sure as it is still listed on the Charlotte Mecklenburg housing authority website. I honestly have not been by there in a long time to notice. Maybe a 4th Ward person can tell us.  The Hall House will be a great hotel especially with the that rooftop view. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

^I'd rather see it refurbished. Charlotte has such few old buildings, especially taller ones, I think the County is doing the right thing by saving it for re-use.

I think the possibilities here are exciting. I like the idea of the central pedestrian area. I'll be interested to see how that evolves.

• Like 3