Mixed Use Spirit Square and Main Library Redevelopment

dubone

46 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Not sure how this was missed by every media company and website except for Charlotte Stories but their was a pretty major update to the North Tryon Vision Plan. Here is the deck. Pretty exciting stuff enclosed.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/52a9db66e4b028f890ddbca4/t/58331c1ff7e0ab5d98199872/1479744552373/NorthTryon_VisionPlan.pdf

Wait...what?!?  Charlotte Stories???  Welcome aboard the loser train, RDF!

Lib.jpg.c00eb385eadc01beb7f0236a18500af1.jpg

Saw this image on Charlotte Stories yesterday but was too shy to admit I had found something out first by reading an article on CS... Glad to see it made this board so I didn't have to embarrass myself

My point here is, hubba hubba I LOVE this design! Whose leg do I have to hump to make this happen as pictured?

16 hours ago, atlrvr said:

meh....dated March 2016....the finalized version of this was posted in the Charlotte Misc Uptown thread last Sept....

heh, I'm more surprised it didn't make it into the news cycle. There are some great pie in the sky renderings in there.

• 1 month later...

New Charlotte Observer post about the project but no substantial new info from what I could tell.

This has a lot of potential to be a really awesome development. I'm excited to see specifics hammered out. It's also pretty cool how there is going to be an attempted partnership between public and private owners and multiple public domains at that.

Article

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick2 said:

New Charlotte Observer post about the project but no substantial new info from what I could tell.

This has a lot of potential to be a really awesome development. I'm excited to see specifics hammered out. It's also pretty cool how there is going to be an attempted partnership between public and private owners and multiple public domains at that.

Article

I'm really interested to see what they do with Discovery Place. It really could use an update to give it a modern look. I remember going on a school trip to Discovery Place back in the 5th or 6th grade (around the year 2000) and loved looking up at the tall buildings more than anything. Amazing how much the skyline has changed since then. I love recalling my memories of Charlotte.

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
19 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

It's great if people want to give and I would. But is this typical that we need donations to build a library? Why?

The history of US public libraries is built on donations.

One big example is the Carnegie library(s) (2509 of them) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegie_library

Think of it like a tradition! But mainly if you don't want a concrete box with shelves and fluorescent light, you need to raise money.

• Like 1

Benjamin Franklin created the first public library by donating his personal collection...  - https://dp.la/exhibitions/exhibits/show/history-us-public-libraries/carnegie-libraries

"By 1920—less than 150 years after Benjamin Franklin first donated what would become a town's first public library collection—there were more than 3,500 public libraries in the United States."

3 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

When would you expect the first project to get started?

Early 2019. The city is really bullish on getting something done on this block.

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Early 2019. The city is really bullish on getting something done on this block.

If Carolina Theater/InterContinental starts visible construction, I think it would draw more attention to those few blocks! I wish there were some concrete announcements about this vision plan.

Edited by Scribe

33 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with the Hall House hotel project, specifically the construction timeline, flag, etc?

The Hall House is probably the easiest piece to market and develop. That said I've heard its not in great shape and will need a full gut. I'd imagine something like 21c Museum Hotel goes there.